Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Transformers (2007) - Do I even need to say SPOILERS? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Transformers (2007) - Do I even need to say SPOILERS?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thing is, you'd NEVER expect that in ANYTHING related to the Transformers - and that's why it worked so damn well. I can imagine Bumblebee asking them about it later. Or for that matter, what all the hubbub was about on his hood at the end of the movie.

Incidentally, it makes PERFECT sense that everyone learned English by absorbing the internet. It further explains everyone's names and mannerisms and how they were still a little foreign to them. Reading a book about Earth ain't the same as actually visiting the place. Prime's deadpan "eBay!" reply was priceless, as was Barricade's iterrogation of Sam. Such absurdities were never so well justified. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh man, not to be contrarian, but those jokes were so, so bad. Like, Porky's 4 was accidentally pasted into an hour of the movie.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:

Battletech has been in development hell for years now. Even with an epic storyline (and Battletech has 'em in spades), the franchise does not have the traction that an 80s cartoon series has. They may try again with the ultimate box office success of Transformers in their pocket, but otherwise anyone thinking to produce a film based on an RPG video game need only look as far as Dungeons & Dragons or Wing Commander for how successful THAT tends to be...

Mark

True, but I think that even those who aren't familiar with the universe and it's accompanying literature, video games, and the TV show (which was great IMO) would still enjoy a movie based on the universe. Even if some of the FMV sequences from the games (especially the first Mechcommander, the opening movie was fantastic)were redone on the big screen it would totally blow the britches off a lot of people. I just hope I'm not a 40-something old man before that movie comes to theatres.

I've not seen the Transformers movie yet, but from what I've just heard it sounds like something worth taking in. I usually just wait for the movie to come out on Movie Central since $9 for a ticket and $4 for a coke is a total fucking rip.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's why you sneak in with a can of coke. [Wink]

Here's a great little interview with the movie's art director, who turns out to be none other than the designer of the Akira class starship himself, Alex Jaeger!

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4150

He even says that twelve years later, most of his fan e-mails are requests for more art of the Akira. [Big Grin] Tons of pictures in that articles, including some nice beauty shots of the Transformers themselves. Among things, Jaeger also designed General Grievous from Star Wars Epiosde III, which if you think about it is very similar to his TF designs...

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just saw it last night and have added it to my list of will-buy DVDs. I thought the romance subplt dragged on a bit and I couldn't get past the obsurdity of a top secret government organization going around flashing their top secret badges, telling everyone their top-secret name, and then expecting them to do whatever they wanted even though they'd never heard of them (and never will). And Turturro's character was just obnoxious. But whatever.

If you have to have the romance subplot, I can't think of anyone better to have it with than this gorgeous Megan Fox. She needs to be in some more movies.

I thought we needed more of Starscream, Barricade was great. I'll be buying some of these toys for sure. Freny was a little annoying with his Jawa-esque jibber.

The in-jokes weren't really too bad. For instance, parking an old yellow VW Bug next to Bumblebee in the used car lot... that was beautiful. Prime's "Autobots... roll out" HAD to be in this film, and I'm glad it was. Getting "more than meets the eye" in the movie stretched it a little.

Couple questions:
What was the name of the scorpion Decepticon in the Middle East? He was the only transformer who had a non-tech based disguise form. Guess the first thing he saw when he landed was a scorpion.

Wasn't Bonecrusher one of the Constructicons? He looked like some kind of earth-mover.

I really liked the military presence in the movie. It was kind of like a Transformers/G.I Joe crossover.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the scorpion transformer was scorponok.

Also weren't some new transformers created by the all spark. I think at some point a transformer is made out of a telephone booth. Were those transformers destroyed by the autobots too?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I dont get: Jazz is killed (brutally) by Megs ripping him in two, but Frenzy survives decapitation and Sam punting his head down the block.....seems wrong somehow.

Maybe it's a Spark to mass ratio thing or something making larger 'bots less rebuildable?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

IT's not necessarily that - it's probably more about how they were made in the first place. As an infiltration expert, Frenzy having all his critical stuff in his head makes a certain about of sense, and he could jettison his body to re-create a smaller form as needed. This suggests at the end of the movie when he decaptiates HIMSELF that he may still be around there, in YOUR girlfriend's purse, disguised as her Nokia, lipstick, or tampon!

Jazz was riped in half along his torso... This may have caused irreperable damage to his generator or spark chamber or whatever was powering him. No Spark, no Jazz. [Frown]

As for the extra transformers that were created by the Allspark, the Autobots probably took care fo them without too much trouble, as they were pretty small. One of them had a cannon that fired Mountain Dew cans - unless they were explosive, they couldn't have caused THAT much damage, no? BTW, they weren't created EVIL - according to the writers, they were simply "feral" and had no base programming. Concievably, the Autobots could have captured and then programmed them to be somewhat nicer.

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
IT's not necessarily that - it's probably more about how they were made in the first place. As an infiltration expert, Frenzy having all his critical stuff in his head makes a certain about of sense, and he could jettison his body to re-create a smaller form as needed. This suggests at the end of the movie when he decaptiates HIMSELF that he may still be around there, in YOUR girlfriend's purse, disguised as her Nokia, lipstick, or tampon!

We actually made a "Frenzy vibrator" joke just after the movie but decided "Rumble" would fit the bill better for that one.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Oh, and as for Scorponok... The toy, and I'm pretty sure the CG model, both had military signage like "DANGER" and "NO STEP" all over them, suggesting that he was another form first and then somehow adopted his arachnid form afterwards. We don't know how intelligent he really was in the first place - all he did was skulk around killing Americans without really saying anything. His beast mode could reflect his primal nature more than anything else.

Mark

--------------------

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was Blackout's butt, and part of the helicopter. Hence the USAirforce markings. Also, he had no robot mode. He was just a metal scorpion. It was, I guess.

The toy has a lame-ass robot mode, but that is because then it wouldn't be a Transformers toy.

Also, even though the comic adaptation has a deal with Optimus and Barricade, the intent was to have: Barricade, Frenzy, Starscream and Sk/corponok alive by the film's end. So maybe Sk/corponok would be all, maybe he will turn into a jetski or a milk truck in the next movie and have a robit mode.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We actually made a 'Frenzy vibrator' joke just after the movie but decided "Rumble" would fit the bill better for that one."

Apropos of something...

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also didn't Scorponok survive? I mean his tail broke off when he was bombed and he just seemed to dig into the sand. Plus his tale seemed to still function despite be disconnected. Maybe he can regenerate like Frenzy.
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I went to see the movie last night, it was pretty good. But not exactly an instant fave of mine. I liked the original Transformers TV show, and Beasties/Beast Wars, and to a lesser extent the show that came after that (The name escapes me ATM).

In the original series I seem to recall the Decepticons to have largely taken the shape as aircraft of some form or another. It's a little disappointing to see only a hand full of them stuck to the idea.

Some of the potty humor was a little overdone.

quote:
Wasn't Bonecrusher one of the Constructicons? He looked like some kind of earth-mover.
I think Bonecrusher is one of those new APC's that the army is developing. Called the "Buffalo Mine Protected Vehicle.

-

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sequel to "Beast Wars" was "Beast Machines".

And the Decepticons (initially, anyway) had more aircraft forms than the Autobots. The Autobots stuck mainly to cars and trucks. But there were plenty of Decepticons that were not aircraft. Megatron, Soundwave (and his tapes), the Constructicons, Shockwave, the Insecticons. Reflector, even, if you really want to go that far...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps