Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Deathly Hallows (now including spoilers) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Deathly Hallows (now including spoilers)
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finished reading �Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows� a few minutes ago. I�m not ashamed to admit I was in tears at the end: if anything, that�s a credit to JK Rowling � it�s only the very best writers who can draw such an emotional reaction from their audience (alternatively, I could just be a giant sap). I�m going to put my specific reaction down in a post, but so as not to spoil the book for those who haven�t yet finished, I�m going to delay that posting until Monday or later.

[ July 24, 2007, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn you, I wanted you to post the ending!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unlike such other diversions as the Wii or guilt-free sex, this one was readily available at several stops along my shopping route today. I leafed through a copy, never having read any of 'em, and was surpirsed as to how grown up the prose could be at times. Maybe I'll finally read the first book sitting on my shelf.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Wiki entry for the book lists the whole plot, everything. The list of the dead is fucking BITCHIN', dude!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People start dropping right away and it keeps going and going and going.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finished up the book about 1:00 AM last night.

All I can say at the moment is that I did not believe beforehand that I could despise the character of Delores Umbridge any more than I already did.

I was quite wrong.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Dolores really could've stood to have Prof. Trelawney smash one of those crystal balls over her head.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my copy opening day, but took one look at my sister and gave it to her to read first. She's sick as a dog and severely dyslexic, so I found myself a copy of the Carpet Version(tm) to tide me over. It's not immoral if I've already bought it, right?

I'm going to endeavor to be as non-spoilery as possible, though.

Yeah, the last three chapters had me crying. I'm a sap. It was really the scene where Harry's going through the forest that did it for me.

I agree with Snay: Trelawney and the crystal balls ruled. "More for everyone who wants them!" or whatever. (I'm not finding the exact quote.)

From a purely editorial perspective, though, this book made me shudder. It's kind of funny to see how much editorial control she wields now compared to the first books. The earlier ones were a lot tighter with regards to both details and major plot points. But as she's more and more famous, I can imagine the "Because I'm the author!" attitude that she has with her editor. And I'm sure the publishers are backing her up because she's famous.

Example: HP&CoS and HP&HBP clearly establish that while the Ministry can detect magic in the area of underage wizards, they can't automatically tell who did what spells (which is how people from wizarding families can get away with doing magic in their homes, as well as how Dobby could frame Harry for doing magic outside school in CoS). HBP cements this, stating this fact exactly. It's not conjecture. And yet there's a big plot point in HP&DH that blows this out of the water.

And the epilogue. I understand why she has it there, but GAH. It reads like bad fanfic, it really does. Surely she could have done something more interesting with it?

On a lighter note, I can't wait for the really insane fanwanks to get going. *gets out the popcorn*

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

Arichamus
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Arichamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LIke what? Scorpius going forwards in time and having his DNA spliced with a Scarran's?

--------------------
Hail to the king, baby!

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
+10, Farscape reference. Even though I'm not sure exactly what you're responding to.

Oh, yes. Hi, Newbie! [Smile]

--------------------
--R. Buckminster Fuller

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

"And yet there's a big plot point in HP&DH that blows this out of the water."

Hmm. I think I missed it. What was it?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

Snay: The Trace. When the Death Eaters find them in Tottenham Court Road, they think at first it could be because they found a way to continue tracing Harry's magic use after he came of age. Their talk indicates that it's the wands that are traced, so they can tell who does what.

--------------------
--R. Buckminster Fuller

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I was under the impression it was the NAME Voldemort they were tracing.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Arichamus
Member # 1986

- posted      Profile for Arichamus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was responding to the sentence 'On a lighter note, I can't wait for the really insane fanwanks to get going. *gets out the popcorn*'

Thank you, sir.

--------------------
Hail to the king, baby!

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

Snay: That's the truth. But they thought otherwise when they didn't know about that. That spell was called the Taboo; the Trace was supposed to follow underage wizards.

--------------------
--R. Buckminster Fuller

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps