Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ DW "Children in Need" Special 2007 [BIG Spoilers]

Author Topic: $$ DW "Children in Need" Special 2007 [BIG Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to multiple sources, this year's Children in Need special will feature a meeting of the current Doctor with one of his predecessors, specifically the fifth Doctor as portrayed by Peter Davison!

I always enjoyed the Doctor teamups as they were very special, but in this case I think they're stretching it beyond reason. Of all the previous actors still alive, Davison is among those that have aged beyond their equivalent looks when they played the Doctor. Here's a pic of him two years ago when he visited the set of "The Christmas Invasion":

-

And here he is when when he took the role:

-

As mentioned before, he's still reasonably fit and could portray *a* Doctor physically in his 50s - but not one as he was in his 30s, IMO. Not to mention the fack that his voice is incredibly raspy now compared to where he was 23 years ago...

Still, this whole thing may not be within the canon of Doctor Who (as the 2005 Special was, and the 2006 edition certainly was not), so it may not matter. Besides, they've got much bigger fish to fry - for example, how to deal with those damned question marks. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course if they wanted to portray the fifth doctor as he was in his 30s, Jesse Spencer is a dead ringer.

But then that defeats the purpose of a doctor team-up.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have thought Paul McGann would have been the first choice, given he looks pretty much as he did 10 years ago. Then I suppose not as many non-who fans would recognise him as the Doctor as he only appeared that once on TV. Sylvester McCoy might have been able to get away with it too, I suppose.

As for Davison, he looks much closer to his "Doctor age" than say Tom Baker. Looking at that picture all he really needs to pull it off is a good wig.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also would have gone for McGann, and he's on record as saying he'd be interested. The fact that his Doctor's tale is open-ended means that he could reprise his role at any time and excuse his aging as being as natural as Tom's during his seven-year stint.

Of the rest, Eccleston is not interested, and IMO everyone else is just too physically old. Leave 'em to the (generally excellent) audio adventures, I say.

Mark

PS - Oddly enough, one if the sources for this one is Syllveste McCoy himself. In the same interview, he revealed that he was Peter Jackson's other choice for Bilbo Baggins, and that Jackson is a huge fan and has one of McCoy's original "question mark" umbrellas to go with his own 7th Doctor costume. I can totally see McCoy as Bilbo, too...

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I also would have gone for McGann, and he's on record as saying he'd be interested. The fact that his Doctor's tale is open-ended means that he could reprise his role at any time and excuse his aging as being as natural as Tom's during his seven-year stint.
Even better, if they ever show any flashbacks to the Time War, they'd have to have McGann reprise his role, since he was apparently the Doctor at the time. And he'd be so much better than Davison; however, I'd bet this "meeting of the Doctors" thing will surely not be taken seriously as DW canon.
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta agree with just about everybody. Just going by those two pictures, all Davison would need to visually pass as the Fifth Doctor is a good wig. Voicewise, I would have no idea. The only Doctor Who I've ever watched is the TV movie and the recent series, so the Fifth Doctor is before my time. And yes, count me amongst those who would like to see McGann and the Time War.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if I'd like to actually see the time war, these things have trouble living up the expectations. Take the Star Wars Clone Wars for example, I don't know about anyone else but it sounded far more interesting when Guinness vaguely than what we ended up seeing.

Sometimes it's best left to the imagination.

Still, it won't stop people from making fake trailers on youtube. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! If I had never seen an episode of the old or new series, I would have been totally convinced that was legit (except for the cheap-looking opening credits) That was an interesting hodgepodge of clips & soundbites taken completely out of context to make this trailer.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps