Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Sarah Jane Adventures - 2007 Series

Author Topic: The Sarah Jane Adventures - 2007 Series
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The second Doctor Who spinoff, "The Sarah Jane Adventures" (SJA) starts next week with the first of ten half-hour episodes, adding up to five two-part stories. Following the "Invasion of the Bane" special on New Year's, we see Sarah Jane continuing to get into all sorts of alien trouble, still sans K-9 but with with the help of three kids: Mini-SJ neighbor Maria, adopted augment clone Luke, and new nosy friend Clyde (replacing old nosy friend Kelsey). The fun resumes as Maria, Luke and Clyde start the year at their new school, where the teachers are fat, flatulent, and sinister...

Many have said that the tone of this show most resembles the innocent and kid-friendly aspects of the original Doctor Who, without the darker tones the modern edition has incorporated. I tend to agree, and enjoyed the earlier special as the same kind of lightweight, SF fluff that entertains sufficiently. I'll be tuning in and posting my comments here.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked "Revenge of the Slitheen". And here's why:

-The Slitheen costumes were VASTLY improved over teh originals. Barely any CGI was necessary. I still can't excuse the farting, but at least the costumes made up for it this time.

-In-show references to the Judoon, Mal Loup, and the Brigadier.

-Clyde was not nearly as annoying or obnoxious as Kelsey. Basically, he's a mini-Mickey, a character I liked.

-I like Sarah Jane's wardrobe, which is toned down a lot form the "I'm a hip 58 year-old!!!!" from the premiere. She's dressing a little more her age, and closer to what I'd expect from an ACTUALLY hip 59 year-old.

-I also like the developing dynamic in Maria's family... Though I'm willing to bet that RTD intended her dad to pick up a male partner at some point. Nothing wrong with that intrinsically, but the infamous "gay agenda" can sure get annoying. [Razz]

It's a good team dynamic show, and does indeed take me back to the days of Supergran and all those wierd British kids shows I watched while growing up. I like. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps