Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$$ SGA 4x01 Adrift $$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$$ SGA 4x01 Adrift $$$
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm kinda wondering how you manage to dial IN to Midway Station from just any old location. Is it just a matter of knowing the address at the start of the link, and you get automatically forwarded from there?

As far as the instant communication from the Apollo is concerned, I'd be willing to accept an offscreen upgrade to the system. We've seen simultaneous activations of gates at various times in the past. Although... in this case, each gate would have to be making simultaneous incoming and outgoing connections in order to maintain its part of the link. That doesn't seem at all consistent with anything we've seen in Stargate previously. I think it's a goof.

Finally, I don't buy McKay's objection about the city moving too fast to be able to use a gate address. I know we still don't know a lot about how the address system works, but unless the city were moving at a ridiculous proportion of light speed, there's no way they would be moving so fast as to be hopping between solar systems. Because it's generally been one gate address per solar system, right?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've seen evidence that one system can have multiple gate on separate planets, one each. The gate addresses seen in this episode had several common symbols, too.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
As far as the instant communication from the Apollo is concerned, I'd be willing to accept an offscreen upgrade to the system. We've seen simultaneous activations of gates at various times in the past. Although... in this case, each gate would have to be making simultaneous incoming and outgoing connections in order to maintain its part of the link. That doesn't seem at all consistent with anything we've seen in Stargate previously. I think it's a goof.

Hmmm.... Maybe it only works for communications, and not for solid objects? Besides, the whole "gate forwarding" bit to get them to & from Midway isn't consistent with anything we've seen before, I think. We've never seen a gate hold an incoming pattern and forward it onto another gate before this setup, have we?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, we haven't seen forwarding per se. But we know the gate has a buffer ( from "48 Hours") so all it would have taken is a basic reprogramming.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is exactly what they say it *is* [Razz] Remember, the Tau'ri are understanding more and more about the gate system. This isn't something the gates were necessarily DESIGNED to do, but any good hacker will tell you that doesn't mean they're not capable of it [Wink]
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't SG-1 get forwarded to another planet when they tried to dial the world where Anubis had cloned himself?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
We've seen evidence that one system can have multiple gate on separate planets, one each. The gate addresses seen in this episode had several common symbols, too.

Mark

Really? When?? I think the only time we've seen a 'connection' between two close planets is 1. In Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know - which was a ring system between Sokar's planet and the prison planet, and in "Paradise Lost" - and that was a Furling contraption that sent O'Neil and Maybourne to that moon.

Did anyone like Carter's Hair?? It made her look older.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carters hair is sexxxy. Like the rest of her. Especially that big sexy brain. *shakes head to focus*

I believe SG-1 was indeed forwarded from Anubis' planet once; but Anubis also has vast knowledge of the gate system due to being "half-Ascended" (which still bugs the hell out of me - is he... HALF pure energy? Pure energy but not allowed onto the Upper Planes Wherein Dwell the Others? What?) Ba'al could probably jerry-rig something like this too - he learned a lot about the gate system from his buddy Anubis.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Really? When?? I think the only time we've seen a 'connection' between two close planets is 1. In Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know - which was a ring system between Sokar's planet and the prison planet, and in "Paradise Lost" - and that was a Furling contraption that sent O'Neil and Maybourne to that moon.
I believe the episode is "Maternal Instinct" back in the third season. Bra'tac is helping the gang locate Kheb, the planet where the Harcesis child is supposed to be hidden. They bring up a graphic of a star system with several planets, each one of which has a gate on it with several common gate glyphs in the same order. I couldn't find a graphic online.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there, new poster here (well I was around years ago, but been lurking here now and again), and just registered to post on here.

quote:
So the gates can't be activated simultaneously, and I'm not sure I like the idea of the gates "forewarding" the wormhole from gate to gate. Perhaps the gates inbetween midway and the bridge's endpoints just act as signal boosters, pumping energy back into the wormhole as it passes through so the wormhole keeps it's integrity. That way there is only ever one wormhole between midway and the pegasus/milkway end, which allows 2-way communications. I can't remember much canon info about the gate bridge and stargates themselves as to whether this is possible or the bridge is explained further, but I'm halfway through re-watching all my stargate eps.

I was wondering, can midway be bypassed? Can a wormhole be made directly between Atlantis and the SGC, with the midway gates acting just as forewarding or signal bossting rings? As it seems a very long winded way of talking or sending material or people between pegasus/milkyway at the moment. Also, can you use both stargates at midway at the same time?

I've had a thought about the stargates themselves, and that their mechanics manipulate time in some way. As we see at destination gates the Chevrons lighting up BEFORE the wormhole connects. So perhaps when the wormhole connects, the destination gate sends the information about what chervon's were pressed and when, to itself in the past.

Did anyone notice the puddle jumper underneath midway in this episode? I'm guessing this means that Midway either has an Asgard transporter or a hanger door in the main compartment. I also saw what looked like an external docking port/airlock on the station, so presumably Midway can be used as a dock for other ships.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I think I remember reading (on here, on some article, on some fansite, or SOMEplace anyway) a theory like that about the gates manipulating time. It makes sense for more than just the reasons you mentioned; space is, to paraphrase a wise man, very unimaginably big. You just won't believe how big it is. I can't believe the wormholes are shortening that vast space into a bridge that's traversable in mere seconds in any short amount of time; information can't be transmitted faster than lightspeed (except, I guess, through hyperspace in the SG universe) so it would take a very long time to make a wormhole. But even bringing in this 'subspace' (God I wish they hadn't copied Star Trek's "Wizard did it") I can't believe it's happening in less than several minutes, at least - it must take time, in other words, to drag Point A closer to Point B. But the wormhole is formed pretty much instantaneously - fwip-FWOOSH-done.

And, welcome to postitude, although I'm not a very long-lived member myself.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I've had a thought about the stargates themselves, and that their mechanics manipulate time in some way. As we see at destination gates the Chevrons lighting up BEFORE the wormhole connects. So perhaps when the wormhole connects, the destination gate sends the information about what chervon's were pressed and when, to itself in the past.
What would the point of that be though? "Hey you guys, somebody on some other planet is entering chevrons in SLOW DRAMATIC FASHION AT THIS VERY MOMENT and will soon complete the address to this gate and catch you with your pants down, get presentable!"?

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I was using this theory to explain away what we see in the show. We, as viewers, know that the chevron's do light up like that for dramatic effect more than anything else, but people in that universe wouldn't know that. The Ancients probably built it into the stargate as an intergalactic doorbell. As it'd be downright rude if you vapourised several members of the planet you're visiting, in the wormhole's splash effect.

Although on primitive planets, who don't know the stargate's function, this could be a down-side. As the inhabitants of said planet are attracted by the strange sounds and magical lights appearing on the gate, and gather in front of it, putting themselves in the splash zone as the gate connects.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I don't think we've ever seen any primitives come flocking to the gate; they either ignore it or fear it. But I agree - I think a nice builtin "Ding dong, I'm dialing" was probably on the original list of features.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps