Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGA 2x07 Missing $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ SGA 2x07 Missing $$
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't see anyone else starting a thread so I thought I would.

This episode continued what for me has been a mediocre season at best. My main points of contention are - Where the hell is Sam? and Who are you and what did you do with Teyla?

It's bad enough that Carter's character feels so two dimensional so far; but she's really not been *in* much of this season so far either. And when she does show up it's mostly to say a few lines or appear holding a gun.

Teyla was pretty well out of character in this episode, didn't you think? Perhaps its just the strain of her entire people disappearing, but the Teyla we know is cool under *loads* of pressure. (She demonstrated that in the scene where she braced Keller for the coming torture - which was a nice scene, actually.) But she acted illogically, automatically assuming her people must have been culled, and that the Bolokai must be Wraith worshippers. She did kick ass in the fight scenes though, as always.

And at the end, "There's something we need to talk about..." I hate stupid little 'cliffhangers' like that. We all know she's pregnant. (That, or she's addicted to stims... sorry, wrong universe.)

The one thing that shone through in this episode for me was Keller's acting (or rather her actress's acting but I can't be stuffed to look up her name [Wink] ). She was very believable as a doctor totally out of her element, her life in danger, pain and more danger up ahead, and terrified just short of pissing herself. She did a good job portraying what most people would feel if they were about to be tortured, or if they were on the run from cannibals with great big honkin' axes. The scene where she finally tackles ... Nublear? Was that his name? Something like that...Anyway, tackles the "Genii" Wraith-worshipper and shoots him in the leg reminded me of Rodney finding his hidden reserve of courage when he and Sheppard were trapped with two scientists on the planet with the crashed Wraith cruiser. Although Rodney looked decidedly terrified even as he attacked.

I know they were supposed to focus more on character episodes this season, but for some reason they're just not doing it for me. I guess it's just that I was hoping to see development between the characters as a group dynamic, but here the character eps have been focusing on singles or groups of two.

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jewel Staite, she was good in Firefly as well (and hot as well [Smile] )

Yeah it's very dissapointing the lack of Sam in this seasons episodes. I thought they at least have an episode or two showing how she bonds and fits in with the Atlantis crew, kinda like Keller had with this ep. But I guess Amanda Tapping is busy with the SG-1 movies, although I don't know when they began or will finish shooting those movies(unless they have already). So I'm hoping once they're out of the way we'll see more of the Carter we know.

What was that weapon that Nable had? It didn't look like an Earth weapon, or one of them Genii wepaons. So there's another race out there, that has the technology to make semi-automatic hand guns?

On the whole this episode was ok for me, better than last weeks Tabula Rasa. The only thing that bothered me about Teyla character, was why she didn't just attack the people at the gate, from what I could tell there was only two of them there. I can only hope with all these character eps that they're saving the budget and planning some big kick arse space battles soon.

And it's sooo obvious what the cliff hanger was about, that Teyla was preggers. So I'm guessing that Ethosian, Kaman (or however you spell his name), is the father.

OverRon
Member # 2036

- posted      Profile for OverRon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah stupid double post, any way I can delete this one?
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and I'm sure the Athosians are alive somewhere too. I know they've started shooting the movies; I really have no idea if they've finished or not. I think they come out in 08..?

Only forum moderators can delete posts; but don't worry about it, it's only slightly annoying. [Wink]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
She did a good job portraying what most people would feel if they were about to be tortured, or if they were on the run from cannibals with great big honkin' axes.
Well to be fair, she's done both of those things before.
In fact when I saw the flying disc/saw thing imbed itself in the tree, my first thought was "Reavers!". [Wink]

Is it my imagination or was the head cannibal the bartender from Dusk Till Dawn?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nable's gun was probably from the prop warehouse after being used on some other show, like most of the Stargate universe's guns have been. They used to come up with such original weapons, but in the past few years they've just been recycling existing ones - Ronon's gun and he Asuran weapons were the last real new ones we've seen. After that, we've seen guns recycled from Andromeda, Eureka, and a half dozen other shows in Vancouver - not to mention the REAL EARTH guns that keep cropping up on alien worlds. Teal'c once tried to menace a Lucian Alliance man with one of their alien German Lugers. >.<''

Where's Carter? Well, she's not the female lead on this show - she's taking Weir's place. Between this and filming the SG-1 movies at this time, there's no surprise that she's just not around. I hope that they'll address her absence at some point, and the two SG-1 movies as well. Assuming the Ori are dealt with in the first of them, that should mean some political changes that would affect Atlantis - and my dream of seeing Daedalus, Odyssey AND Apollo in the same episode, blasting away at an Asuran fleet. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

OverRon
Member # 2036

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Nable's gun was probably from the prop warehouse after being used on some other show, like most of the Stargate universe's guns have been. They used to come up with such original weapons, but in the past few years they've just been recycling existing ones - Ronon's gun and he Asuran weapons were the last real new ones we've seen. After that, we've seen guns recycled from Andromeda, Eureka, and a half dozen other shows in Vancouver - not to mention the REAL EARTH guns that keep cropping up on alien worlds. Teal'c once tried to menace a Lucian Alliance man with one of their alien German Lugers. >.<''

Yeah I know that SG-1 was guitly of that a lot, but so far Atlantis has been pretty good in not re-using weapons like that. I mean the Genii, Asuran/Ancient, Ronon/Travellers, all have unique weapons which I don't think have been used on other shows. So I thought it might be the same with regards to this. Did the Satedan's use Genii weapons or have their own ones?

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:

Where's Carter? Well, she's not the female lead on this show - she's taking Weir's place. Between this and filming the SG-1 movies at this time, there's no surprise that she's just not around. I hope that they'll address her absence at some point, and the two SG-1 movies as well. Assuming the Ori are dealt with in the first of them, that should mean some political changes that would affect Atlantis - and my dream of seeing Daedalus, Odyssey AND Apollo in the same episode, blasting away at an Asuran fleet. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Mark

Yeah, I'm dreaming about scene's like that as well, with the Apollo, Odyssey, Daedalus, and what ever new ship they make sometime this year. As they seem to be cranking out those Daedalus-class ships pretty damn quick. Since the end of season 1 of Atlantis they've made 4 now, so we should be due another ship soon. The USAF must have some pretty impressive manufacturing capabilities to be making them at that rate. I mean how long does it take to make a Nimitz-class carrier? As the 304's seem to be a similar size to them or maybe even bigger, but they're making one every 6-12 months.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And now, you see the reason it takes 4-5 years to build a Nimitz - they're sinking all their facilities into building more Daedalii!

The Asurans and Wraith ahve had their own weaponry to an extent. The Wraith used to have some pretty cool rifle type weapons, but they were apparently too large and unwieldy for the actors to heft and point correctly - they then swapped over to a smaller, narrower rifle weapon which was really a redress of a batch of guns from "New Ground", an SG-1 episode. This is not unlike how a random rifle-of-the-week on DS9 became the main Jem'Haddar weapon after sawing off some extraneous bits.

The Satedan weapons are all redresses of guns found in other shows. The famed Satedan tri-barrel shotgun was seen previously in use by the Genii, and also be a multitude of background aliens on "Andromeda". The gun iteself is just a pump-action Winchester style rifle with a big fake housing around it.

Then there's last year's "Irresponsible", where the outlaws of the week were using 19th century revolvers... Argh!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

What's this show Jewel Staite was on with the Reavers or whatever? I honestly don't watch television except for Heroes and SGA...and SG1 before them.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've never seen Firefly? For shame!

--------------------

OverRon
Member # 2036

That was a great show, it has a gritty kind of BSG feel to it, plus it seemed original. Shame it didn't run for many episodes though. Loved the movie the got to make, called Serenity. You should check out the series or movie when you get the chance.

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
What's this show Jewel Staite was on with the Reavers or whatever? I honestly don't watch television except for Heroes and SGA...and SG1 before them.

Not even Battlestar Galactica? That's been the best sci-fi thing on TV the last few years. Well best thing on my download list anyways.

I'm always on the lookout for good sci-fi shows to watch. Checking out that Bionic Woman at the moment, but it's far falling below my expectations. Also got my eye on The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which should be starting it's first season soon. It looks good so far, as long it has lots of kick-arse fights between Terminators and steers away from that teen angst territory.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Nope...never seen BSG, except for one ep somewhere in there. I've seen DVD's (or well...rips) of B5 (almost done with the final season - then the movies!), and I *used* to watch STTNG and TOS with my dad when I was a kid; I've seen one season each of DS9 and VOY on DVD, plus scattered eps on TV when I was sick and didn't feel like doing anything else. I don't have a cable hookup in my room so I have to go to the living room to watch TV, which tears me away from my PC...so.... [Wink]
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Also got my eye on The Sarah Connor Chronicles, which should be starting it's first season soon. It looks good so far, as long it has lots of kick-arse fights between Terminators and steers away from that teen angst territory.
...and it has Summer Glau (for the benefit of Daniel B, she's also from Firefly.)

quote:
Nope...never seen BSG, except for one ep somewhere in there. I've seen DVD's (or well...rips) of B5 (almost done with the final season - then the movies!), and I *used* to watch STTNG and TOS with my dad when I was a kid; I've seen one season each of DS9 and VOY on DVD, plus scattered eps on TV when I was sick and didn't feel like doing anything else. I don't have a cable hookup in my room so I have to go to the living room to watch TV, which tears me away from my PC...so.... [Wink]
Well I educated you on Izzard, I suppose I'll have to educate you on good sci-fi too.
For starters, ignore Voyager. It has it's highlights, but like Enterprise, when it's bad, it's pretty dire. DS9 is a must, especially from season 5 onwards, very few duds there. BSG also very much worth checking out, though if you don't feel like sitting through the 3 hour mini series which serves as a pilot, then it won't hurt starting with the first episode of season one "33" as it's a pretty relentless episode and acts as a good mission statement for the show.

And yes, Firefly MUST be seen. Immediately. Seriously. Now. I mean it. If you don't you will be hunted down and berated by a big scary, cunning hat wearing man who talks crazy about little bendy angels then falls down.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, the only B5 movie you want to see is In The Beginning (and maybe the SE of The Gathering, and ACTA for the Crusade lead-in). The others are only so much stand-alone cruft.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

.....Tell me more of these bendy angels.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps