Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGA 2x08 Seer $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ SGA 2x08 Seer $$
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mm, you're right, yet in this ep it was stated that it took some doing to switch back...I dunno, maybe for some reason it's more difficult to go from cloak to shield? Maybe for some reason (software reason, even) it's got to be shut down then restarted?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you guys are focusing too much on the nitty-gritty. Sure, the plot was more than a tad recycled. (I'm not sure if the footage was � at the most, the first shot of the ships shooting at each other was. But the shot of the ships exploding couldn't have been; we've never seen two hive ships blown up that way before.)

But consider the larger ramifications: the writers are setting up a major arc here, with the Wraith guy (is Sheppard going to name him, too? I say he should be called Bill.) obviously not going anywhere any time soon. There are going to be various elements in play: the Replicators, the Athosians, Dr. Weir, the various Wraith factions... and who knows exactly how or why they're all related.

Oh, except one thing: ten bucks says that once Rodney and Bill the Wraith finish their work, they're going to get or use Weir to upload the new virus.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I *strongly* want a good Wraith. I don't *like* monolithic evil. I *strongly* want an honest-to-God, good Wraith, with a conscience, who doesn't want to eat people, the way some humans are vegetarians. I know we had the little girl Wraith before, but I mean an adult who decided for himself. I want a real ally, and they figure out how to give him the virus without wiping his memory, and he becomes a valuable member of the team. I guess I just wish it so bad because the Wraith are so damn cool.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There might be some hardware swapout that someone has to accomplish too - remebmer, they're using a cloaking generator off of a puddle jumper. They have to physically connect or disconnect some stuff for this to happen, or power up some components, or whatever.

I'm mostly just curious as to why the Lanteans didn't figure this out ages ago... After all, they cloaked their jumpers.

Also, the Wraith EAT PEOPLE. It's fundamental to them. I don't see anyone willing to give up the ability to eat a thick, juicy stake, even if they got gout from it? I didn't. [Razz] Still, the Wraith's crutch of wanting to eat anyone they come against has been a big problem in "humanizing" them to the point where they can be true allies. I could see it happening, but it'd be pretty contrived, IMO.

Mark

[ November 23, 2007, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Mark - ever hear of vegetarians....?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they have to feed on humans? Is there no large non-sapient animals in that galaxy?

As for the ancients not cloaking Atlantis, I suppose they didn't think of it because everyone already knew where they were, hence being under siege.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I don't see anyone willing to give up the ability to eat a thick, juicy stake

*raises hand* Well, there's one person who's done that here for a start...and no doubt others somewhere. [Wink] People don't need to eat meat to live, and the question must be are there alternatives for the Wraith other than culling? Do they choose to cull people, or are they simply slaves to their biology?
If they're just doing what their bodies demand of them, then in my opinion they're an incredibly one-dimensional villain.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be fair, it's not as if the Wraith consume matter the same way we do in order to feed. They have a very specific and fundamentally parasitic method of consumption, which we still don't fully understand. I really don't see a Wrath successfully sucking the life out of a tree or a vegetable, however comical it would be to watch the attempt, so unless there's a way to feed them through an IV with some kind of organically grown enzyme (or something) then I think they're stuck as they are. Like I said though, I wonder if there isn't a good reason why they specifically have to feed on humans rather than large domesticated animals. Perhaps it's something to do with their hybrid nature.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Well, I think it would be nice to at least see a Wraith who didn't *want* to feed on humans, even though he had to, and perhaps devise a retrovirus to alter Wraith cells so that they could use another food source.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when they visited that planet that had the Stargate on a prison island, the guy in charge sat down and ate a normal meal with a Wraith. I think the Wraith said something about how they used to eat like this or something, but I can't remember exactly what.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

He said that they used to eat like that long ago, and that although they no longer are able to derive sustenance from that kind of food, he still enjoyed the 'finer things in life.'
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps