Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Uncancel The Future! FUTURAMA IS BAAAACK! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Uncancel The Future! FUTURAMA IS BAAAACK!
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Wink]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
I don't dislike the LoTR for their efx, it's just that I'm not into the fantasy genre.

That's not how the fetish sites tell it, pallie.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
I disagree with this almost entirely. Those things you list are often beneficial and invaluable to the gaining of a complete appreciation for a work of art, but they are by no means necessary. Humans are often illogical, ignorant, fickle, and reactionary, but that doesn't stop them from having an opinion.

I do not believe that there are any truly objective right or wrong answers concerning the interpretation and evaluation of art. What we all have are our experiences and the tastes and critical sense we develop according to them, all of which are subject to change given the influence of a number of factors.

My statement pertained more towards that old defense of "Well, it's just my opinion." as if those magical five words exempt one from the necessity of facts and logic. It's just a personal pet peeve.

That's not to say that's exactly what you were doing in this instance or that value judgements of art aren't heavily subjective. But even so, they're subject to a certain amount of reason and reliance on facts.

If, for example, you were to say, "I think CGI is fake looking and that's why I don't like Lord of the Rings but that's just my opinion" then it would still be wrong, based on incorrect information and faulty reasoning, no matter the effect of those magical words, "It's just my opinion."

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
I don't dislike the LoTR for their efx, it's just that I'm not into the fantasy genre.

That's not how the fetish sites tell it, pallie.
Explain.
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, that WAS you in the Hobbit get-up getting rammed by Haldir the Elf!

I mean, you know, not that I would ever look at that.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OnToMars:
If, for example, you were to say, "I think CGI is fake looking and that's why I don't like Lord of the Rings but that's just my opinion" then it would still be wrong, based on incorrect information and faulty reasoning, no matter the effect of those magical words, "It's just my opinion."

Ok, this is exactly my point. If CGI indeed looks fake to me and that does in fact cause me not to like LOTR, how is it wrong? You mean because the CGI doesn't look fake to you and you like it? Your premise doesn't make any sense. You can disagree with my opinion, but you can't act as if there's some great existential answer key by which to call it correct or incorrect.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would surmise that one could in principle objectively test whether CGI did indeed look fake, at least relative to other special effects methods. Thus one could argue that "in my opinion" is potentially not a valid modifier for statements of its fakeness. But then, in the absence of any such study, we'd be arguing about something without any evidence one way or the other. Instead of arguing over something could actually be objectively known, we'd be arguing over whether we in fact objectively know it, with no information to argue over. Which would just be so silly that I can't imagine it ever happening here.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Movies are intrinsically fake.

"Here, spray this in the meatball hamper."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys: it's Mim's opinion. Unless you were planning on hosting a showing of the trilogy in your home's indoor movie theater, and now you've gotta throw away the special expensive invitation with his name on it, what does it matter if he likes or doesn't like the movies?

I mean, I know I want to bash in the heads of people I meet who don't share my affection for "Hot Fuzz", but that hardly means I have the right to force my enjoyment of the film on them.

I mean, christ, didja see Omega's comment on "Bender's Big Score?" I can't remember the last time I wanted to crush his skull!

Okay, let's all crush everyone's skulls.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. I'd point out to everyone that wording goes a long way in avoiding making people upset... I can't remember what Mim said at first about LotR and I'm not going to go check, but just as a purely hypothetical example, "LotR is terrible" vs. "I think LotR is terrible" would rumple my feathers a little bit. Of course, I try to just mentally insert "I think" before everything someone says, to avoid getting upset with no due reason, but sometimes people actually *mean* to say "LotR is [objectively] terrible" or something like that. So, sometimes you jump to the conclusion that they were bashing something you like instead of stating an opinion.

Anyway, maybe that's what's happened here...miscommunication? So let's all learn a Very Valuable Lesson and put down the machetes.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Ok, this is exactly my point. If CGI indeed looks fake to me and that does in fact cause me not to like LOTR, how is it wrong? You mean because the CGI doesn't look fake to you and you like it? Your premise doesn't make any sense. You can disagree with my opinion, but you can't act as if there's some great existential answer key by which to call it correct or incorrect.

Because the effects of LOTR are only partially achieved through CGI and in large part through other means, like miniatures, bigatures, etc.

And that's my only point. If your conclusion is based off incorrect facts and faulty reasoning, then you're conclusion is suspect, "opinion" or not. That's my only point.

And my original point was more a general expression of a pet peeve and not a personal attack on Mim. No fire extinguishers necessary, gentlemen. Carry on.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Well, finally Blockbuster had 1 of their 12 copies in when I went there.

$$$$$$$ Spoiler Warning $$$$$$$

There was something I can't quite put my finger on that I didn't like about it, and the opening with the characters was kind of cheesy. All in all though I liked it quite a bit - and most importantly it did seem like a movie and not several episodes stitched together. I'm glad Leela and Fry got together (after a fashion) even if it was just a cartoon and even if that's fanboyish. But finally...paradox-solving doom field? I think not - where did the code come from in the first place? Bender took it from Future-dead-Lars-Fry's ass, went back in time, and put it on past-frozen-Fry's ass. So where did it *come* from? It's a paradox. [Razz]

$$$$$$$$$ /Spoiler Warning $$$$$$$$$$

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it's paradox-solving time travel! So it's okay. [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

lol yeah but that's my point...they had the other paradoxes solved by the duplicates created dying, didn't they? But they didn't solve this one. (Can't believe I'm nitpicking Futurama.)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I met all these cool people who I convinced to stay down there rather than coming up when they logically should have.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps