Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGA season ... FOUR ... ep 2-something "This Mortal Coil" $$

Author Topic: $$ SGA season ... FOUR ... ep 2-something "This Mortal Coil" $$
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The confusion is because I count this as episode ten, but the SGA website lists it as episode nine. And also I counted last episode as ep 10. And typed season 2 again. Gorram it.

So...kind of a neat episode. It didn't make me go bug-eyed the way some eps in SG1 (and SGA seasons 1 and 2) did, but it was the best ep so far in season 4 IMHO. I just wonder what the Replicators (I guess we don't call them Asurans anymore :-/) are going to do with the clones/copies, since they evidently survived the crash. Probably just kill them, right? I mean these are Oberoth's Replicators, who opposed the whole thing.

The sophistication of these nanites must be incredible. They must be repairing damage on a molecular level - actually taking the bits of destroyed cells and repairing them, and repairing the extracellular matrix so that the cells all fit together again. That'd be a very complex, fiddly, time-consuming job. ('Cept it isn't time-consuming, apparently - almost instantaneous. So more kudos for them.)

What is this thing that the Replicators need to ascend? She said we would call it a soul, but she said that in a way that suggested it isn't anything so metaphysical or mystical. Perhaps... a true sense of self? True free will? Imagination? That last one seems an interesting prospect; the Asgard weren't able to ascend, they said, because their genome was too damaged. That doesn't make a lot of sense; I don't see how their physical bodies should have to do with their minds converting themselves into energy. (Although what *kind* of energy, anyway...? Kinetic? Or are they talking about electromagnetic 'energy'?) We've seen, however, that the Asgard can't "think outside of the box" (as much as I hate that saying), so maybe that's what they were really lacking. (Also, the Replicators must have free will, or the Ancients would probably intervene - the reason they don't mess with mortals is because they're so tied up with allowing them free will. If the Replicators had none, surely they'd realize their continued existence did nothing but threaten the free will of others, and as their creators, would be duty-bound to destroy them. Although of course, the Ancients haven't shown much care for duty.)

Wonder if they can build a replica of the Dakara Superweapon using a combo of knowledge from the Ancient database and the Asgard computer (where the >HELL< is the Asgard technology on Atlantis??)...?

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, can someone fill me in on the last 10 minutes? I fell asleep.... [Roll Eyes] (I was tired, okay?!?) The last scene I saw was the Replicator's advanced cruiser showing up in the sky over the planet.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's pretty much it, really. The repli-guys take a jumper and "run" which draws the cruiser's fire; they sacrifice themselves so the 'real' team can get to the gate. However, they seemingly survive the crash - Oberoth's people go in with guns and Shepperd sits up and we see his smashed-up face heal, and he says something like "yeah, we tricked you" and then one of the Replicators shoots him.

Then in the last 2 minutes, the 'real' Rodney gets the tracking core installed and wired into the sensors; a bunch of contacts pop up. They say oh, that's not so bad. Then more pop up. Kay, they say, that's kinda bad. Then more pop up and they look scared shitless; the screen goes to black and we continue to her contacts pop up as Rodney eloquently describes the predicament: "Oh CRAP." Other than that, just a short little emotional thing from Rodney about not being able to deal with Elizabeth yet, he's just starting to get over Carson.

And funnily enough, I missed the *first* ten minutes, so can you reciprocate the favor? [Big Grin]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression the replicants were all killed at the end, thus wrapping up their plot. Why would the replicators keep them alive?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's left intentionally ambiguous so they can either pick up the thread later or just drop it all together.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Sol: Maybe to figure out how to beat Atlantis.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't remember if the funky Lantean weapons had a stun setting. In any case, there's plenty of capability for Weir to return again, and the Asurans could easily clone them up again at any time....

In any case, I REALLY don't like how they only briefly mentioned her being killed off in the intervening months, with barely a blink by the clones. She had a reasonable sendoff in the opening story, and then suddenly, oh! She's been dead for a while now, by the way. Argh.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love how the Seer guy's visions came true. Yes, they saw an Aurora-class ship blasting away at a city ship, but it was this one, not Atlantis...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I called it, actually, but I didn't want to say anything in case I was wrong. I thought to myself, I bet that's another Atlantis-class cityship being blowed up, cuz we know the Replicators have got 'em. But I wasn't totally right - I kinda thought it'd be Our Heroes in the Aurora-class ship. But 'tweren't.

Which leads me to ask, especially since I know we have a Navy boy here...superclasses. When the Tau'ri build something bigger, slower, and better-armed than the Daedalus-class, which have been referred to as battlecruisers, will the Daedalus-class be 'demoted' to cruiser or something? How does that work, anyway? I mean, there aren't any guidelines in place already for starship superclasses, so can they just call it whatever the hell they want?

I wonder what kinds of superclasses the Ancients had, and if Aurora class ships are strictly Lantean, or if all the Ancients used them? I'd love to see a treatise on the cultural diffusion, fracturing, and migration of Alteran peoples. That reminds me, maybe the stone tech we talked about versus the Lantean 'slick' stuff was just a cultural thing - the Ancients in the Milky Way did seem to be more mystical and temple-oriented than the "great bloody ships and clean white robes" Lanteans. (And why the hell are Lantean main control displays so devoid of information? They basically seem to just have oscillating colors and bits of text zooming by really quickly along predetermined vertical and horizontal tracks...maybe its a screensaver...)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was just a 'copy' Elizabeth Weir wasn't it (That the break-away faction made)? The 'real' Elizabeth Weir - complete with bits of nanites in her system could still be alive somewhere on the Assuran homeworld??
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly. Oberon could have kept her continuing aliveness from the others and just told them she's dead...difficult with the while shared mind thing, but possible.
OR Liz fooled them herself, she has demonstrated her ability to pull the wool. Hey, perhaps she's replaced Oberon?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

That's what I thought when they first stole her. I figured they'd want to make a bad guy we already loved to skip the time and effort of developing a 3D character out of evil replicating machines [Wink]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "real" one is the only one that is dead for sure, though. Or, OK, let's be charitable. I'm sure she's as alive as Ford.
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I want to see Shepperd go and tell his cousin or sister or whoever it was that he's probably dead, but even if he isn't, he's been eating the sac-secretions of a vampirelike alien menace, and he's been doing so in another galaxy 200 million light years away which he reached through a wormhole generated by an extremely old device made out of this stuff called "naqadah" and hey why are the police here, did you call them?...No, wait, guys, hang on, I'm USAF....

(Seriously, no wonder they haven't revealed the Stargate Program to the public, they're afraid of being straitjacketed en masse.)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps