Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Stargate Universe (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stargate Universe
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
I wonder who the "big bad" will be this time. They've used up false gods/parasites, robots, real gods, more parasites and...uh, more robots. Probably evil Furlings or parasites.

Or evil Furlings with parasites.

Why is Stargate becoming like Star Trek with multiple spin-offs? My favorite thing about SG-1 was the beginning of the series, picking up where the movie left off and the Goa'uld were actually a threat. They didn't have starships, phasers, or transporters. It was the real military using real technology ... for the most part ... to fight a more advanced race.

The further it gets away from that concept the less it seems like Stargate to me.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't the concept have to grow and evolve as the show ages, otherwise it is stale.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the problem with stories - and games - and TV - and life, come to think of it. If you're all-powerful you're bored. Status quo really must be maintained, but if there's no development it gets just as boring. So you have to make the heroes *and* the dangers they face more and more powerful to keep up.

Maybe there won't be a Big Bad. It'd be more realistic at this point to have lots of smaller Bads...the Tau'ri are like the Big Fuckers On the Block at this point, Ancient and Asgard knowledge and equipment, and so on...they lack resources, maybe, but that's about it. Pair up with the Tollan and Free Jaffa, though, and they've got plenty of firepower. What I'm saying is, it'd be interesting to see Earth put in the position the Asgard used to occupy - going around saving younger races from threats to their existence, trying to stretch their resources out more than is probably advisable in order to save as many people as possible.

Oh and GOD I hope these hundreds of new galaxies seeded with gates millions of years ago don't just happen to be filled with humans. Transplanting them throughout the Milky Way and Pegasus I'll believe, but the universe? How, frozen sperm on the seed ship? (Heh. Geddit?)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what about the notion that the third series will have a team of Air Force people traipsing around a universe full of planets which are nothing but pine trees and lower Canadian arboreals? Inasmuch as most Treks have everyone beaming down to Southern California most weeks?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Zipacna
Member # 1881

- posted      Profile for Zipacna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I don't understand. If they can gate within galaxies, and between galaxies, what's the ship for?

The thing about gating between galaxies (besides the power consumption), there actually needs to be a network of stargates in a galaxy to be able to gate there. If you're from the species that invented the gates, and you've never seeded a galaxy with gates before...well, therein lies what the ship is for. [Wink]
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why didn't they just remove the safety protocols and hit a giant solar flare with a wormhole?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think people actually read the article before responding to my question. There are two ships. The first one sets up stargates in all these other galaxies. I don't have a problem with that. May problem is with the fact that there is a second ship which does... what? If you can already gate directly to the other galaxies, what are you going to want to gate to the ship for? (Not to mention that every stargate in the universe has a whole chevron on it that's just for gating to this one ship. This one ship which didn't even exist when the gates were first built.)

Either something's screwy with this concept, or the article failed to explain it properly.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the distance between galaxies is huge. If the ship is meant to be a cental base of operations, then it makes sence to have one Gate as a hub of sorts within the local cluster. However, if the ship was meant, as the article stated, to follow the seed ship around, then it might not make sense.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going with the idea that the article is a bit off, and that the ninth chevron gates them to the seed ship. That way they're exploring galaxies as they're being seeded.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But if they were exploring galaxies as they're being seeded, the network wouldn't be in place and they couldn't use that galaxy's gate system. There's also an intrinsic flaw in the whole thing: Even if the seed ship has hyperdrive for use between planets, seeding even one galaxy would take thousands of years. Say one day to travel to the next planet and one day to robotically set up the gate, the DHD, and perform whatever interfacing is needed. So that's a conservative estimate of 2 days per gate... now mulitply by a million, or however many Gates Carter said were in the Milky Way network.

Of course... if the project was started millions of years ago... then I guess it may have made some progress.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

The second ship does make sense, it can maintain it's position over the vast distances, so gating to the ship makes life a lot easier over having to calculate stellar and galactic drifts. It seems easier to to work out galactic drifting.

The seed ship could also send out seeding parties in smaller ships, jumbo jumpers, sending out even a low 50 per day would cut that time down greatly. With 50 jumbo jumpers and the seed ship itself you could set up a million gates in about 54 years. Doing one per day.

As far as testing and what not it seems they would have it worked out to be drop n gate, as Carter already made the on screen note that the gates are self adjusting for stellar drift updating each other. Drop a gate in to place and wait a bit for the gate to communicate with the others in the local area. Hyper drive to the next planet.
Doing an average of two per day per jumbo jumper it would cut the time down to an semi manageable 27 years for a million gates.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

When I first heard the title there was the rumor that the ninth chevron would gate between universes. I thought, Don't they already have the Quantum Mirror for that? Now that would be a nice show idea too...every episode they mirror to a different universe to try to stop the Ori and Goa'uld and Replicators in different universes. It'd be fun to see all the old baddies again and have a new dynamic between them and the now badass SG-1 or whoever, but then again, I can see it getting stale pretty quickly.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they would have the Quantum Mirror, if General Hammond hadn't already ordered them to destroy it!
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There's also an intrinsic flaw in the whole thing: Even if the seed ship has hyperdrive for use between planets, seeding even one galaxy would take thousands of years.
Unless, of course, you had a self-replicating seed ship... [Cool]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Right, right, BJ, pesky logic...

Omega: Von Neumann Gate Berserkers!

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps