Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Watch "Buck Rogers" on NBC.com (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Watch "Buck Rogers" on NBC.com
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Jesus H. Christ on a pogo-stick....can Miller leave nothing alone!?!
Ok, exactly how do you justify that statement when Miller has directed a grand total of ONE film that hasn't even been released yet and of the others he was involved in or was co-director, most have been based directly on his own work?

Even so, Buck Rogers is hardly hallowed ground.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
I liked the series as a kid. I still do, only now at 35 I can watch the DVDs and make fun of how campy and cheap it was. But you can do that with TOS too.

Not to mention the space babes. Hubba hubba!

Also, a tiny piece of jealousy inspiration. Please to gaze upon this picture from 3 years ago & note the lower white-framed wall hanging. That is indeed an original Buck Rogers pre-broadcast promo one-sheet with the NBC, Burger King, & Coca-Cola logos on it. Only one owner ever, & that would be me. It's also the artwork from before they finalized who was to play Wilma Deering, so the sheet actually shows Juanin Clay as Wilma, NOT Erin Gray.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
quote:
Ok, exactly how do you justify that statement when Miller has directed a grand total of ONE film that hasn't even been released yet and of the others he was involved in or was co-director, most have been based directly on his own work?

NO it' not, obviously.
I was more referring to Miller's "re-imagined" comic book work (the vast bulk of his rep stems from these and it's always the same old story- dystopian "gritty" versions so fundamentally changed from their origins as to be wholly new characters. Superman as facist that rips off Green Arrow's arm as a tame example).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, apparently Miller isn't directing the movie.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*burp*
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
quote:

NO it' not, obviously.
I was more referring to Miller's "re-imagined" comic book work (the vast bulk of his rep stems from these and it's always the same old story- dystopian "gritty" versions so fundamentally changed from their origins as to be wholly new characters. Superman as facist that rips off Green Arrow's arm as a tame example).

Well that's his thing, it's what he does. While it's not for everyone, remember that this is the guy who gave Batman his balls back. As for making Superman a fascist, he's hardly the first person to make that connection and it wasn't changing a character so much as extrapolating him into a changed environment, remember that in the 80's things were looking especially grim from a social standpoint, at least in the US and it seams appropriate that Supes reflect the collective mental state of Americans at the time. At least the way Frank saw it.
As for ripping Queen's arm off, I don't recall that bit, but I assume it was in DKSB, in which I recall Supes had several reasons for acting out of character.
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Well, apparently Miller isn't directing the movie.

Golly good. It sounded like wishful thinking in the part of the producers anyway.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Denny O'Neil is the guy that really "gave btman his balls back".
The Dark Knight returns was just a huge shock to readers in it's brutality and bleakness- made for a big buzz at just the right time.
O'Neill had the job of re-creating Batman in the 70's into the cool detective with gadgets and a street-level framework.
He had to undo what everyone thought Batman was- Adam West.

((shudder))

I always found it hard to reconcille the Batman from his comics- which centers on muggers and killers- with the Justice League version -which fought aliens and cosmic menaces.

It just seemed impossible that he could be in all those places monthly or that he's leave Gotham unguarded for all that time he'd be screwing around in space or in another dimesnion or whatever.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, you must love Wolverine, then.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps