Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Dead TV Shows (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Dead TV Shows
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
39 more bite the dust

I never really watched Journeyman, but I really thought Jericho and Bionic Woman had promise. I wonder if they will do a proper ending for either of these series. At least we still have the Sara Connor Chronicles.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of those shows I've never even heard of. And of the few I have heard of, I didn't watch any of them.

The only two shows that are still being produced that I try to watch on a regular basis are South Park and BSG, and they're cable.

And as far as "reality" shows go, the less of them, the better.

I wish network TV would just die already.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Dukhat on the reality shows. But I thought Shark was a good show, too bad though. Girlfriends and Las Vegas had pretty good runs though. I bet the fact that almost no new shows survived the season was the Writer's strike. Although many were doomed in the first place, I bet the strike hads something to do with their cancellation. Thank god Cavemen is gone. It took a stupid commercial and tried to turn it into a series.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:

The only two shows that are still being produced that I try to watch on a regular basis are South Park and BSG, and they're cable.

Amen to that. Though I also watch Doctor Who when it's on Sci-Fi.

I'm surprised Girlfriends made it this far. I thought all hands were lost aboard the S.S.UPN

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh. I don't what much Network TV anymore myself and i gotta agree with you, about reality TV shows... i'd rather have a cat shoved up my ass sideways (at an oblique angle) than watch the utter cheap crap they 'produce' nowadazes...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder how much Law&Order can survive. what is it now, like in it's 17th or 18th season?

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

-George Carlin

HopefulNebula
Member # 1933

- posted      Profile for HopefulNebula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that's only the original incarnation...

Same for CSI. Even though it hasn't been around as long.

--------------------
"Don't fight forces; use them."
--R. Buckminster Fuller

http://hopefulnebula.dreamwidth.org/

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CSI: Miami=fail

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watch stuff online. That way I avoid the corporate machine altogether [Wink] Plus, no commercials. And speaking of reality shows, just a commercial of one makes my insides shrivel.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not at all surprised Bionic Woman got itself shit canned. While it did have some potential it just didn't do much to show it could be more than the 100 other "lone crusader with a gimmick" shows we've seen already. That plus it had some awful awful dialogue...and Katee Sackhoff's character was just dumb....really dumb.

As for most of the others, never heard of them. Though I do think I read they synopsis for Journey Man and it seamed like a total rip off of "Time Traveller's Wife".

So what do we have to look forward to once Galactica finishes? Caprica, Terminator, Stargate Atlantis and I believe the new Knight Rider has been picked up as a series. Has there been any more word on that new Stargate spin-off?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing. It's like having a glimpse into a whole different world you had no idea even existed. The newer ones I had heard of - Bionic Woman, Journeyman and Jericho - all had Brit actors in significant roles, which may be how I come to know of them. I think I watched maybe half an ep of Journeyman on Sky one time; never bothered to watch Bionic Woman ion ITV2/3/4 because it clashed with something else, and I was toying with the idea of downloading Jericho but then heard it was coming to ITV as well, but then heard it had been cancelled (then briefly revived, then killed once and for all) so didn't bother.

Las Vegas was a show we watched when we lived in New Zealand, but it wasn't on a convenient channel for us back in the UK. The fact that Tom Selleck appears to have taken over from James Caan is news to me. But 5 years isn't a bad run really.

The rest of them. . . nope, not ringing any bells. You can pretty-much tell which show they're trying to emulate from the publicity shot! Cashmere Mafia = Sex and the City, etc. It was a funny year anyway, what with the strike and all.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Men in Trees and thinking to myself, "What a bad name for such a bad show."
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

Well, CSI ( the original) has only been on for 8 seasons. M*A*S*H ran for 11, but would have run for more if the cast hadn't decided to end it. A lot of the time though, spin-offs and continuation of extremely popular shows suck.
M*A*S*H* was good, but AfterM*A*S*H sucked. I dopn't think it lasted more than 2 years.

--------------------

-George Carlin

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget W*A*L*T*E*R! (Or maybe you should...) But there was also Trapper John, M.D., which was very successful since it ran for 7 seasons. I never watched it, though.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of dead TV shows, I have recently downloaded & begun watch 2 shows, one that I watched & then lost, the other that I never saw before.

The first is Lexx. if anyone recalls, it was a Germano-Canadian production that was set some 4300 years in the past (well, most of it, anyway), & had a giant planet-destroying insect ship (Lexx itself) & a crew of a cowardly sex-obsessed frump, a hot love slave chick, a robot head in love with the love slave, & a 2000-year-old dead assassin prophesied to topple the evil empire of His Divine Shadow. Filled with all sorts of mid-level gore, sexual innuendoes & outrightness, & some seriously fucked up shit in plots, backgrounds, settings & the like. The show was on Sci-Fi for a few years & then it ended. I watched the first movies & most of the second season, but I ended up losing due to...work or moving, one of the 2.

The other show is one that I am ashamed to say I had not seen until now: The Adventures Of Brisco County, Jr. While Lexx requires me to sit for a bit between sessions, I have been spending the past few day rapaciously devouring Brisco County. I knew that Jeffrey Boam, screenwriter for Indy 3, was partly behind it; I did not know that Carleton Cuse was part of the team, too. (Cuse is behind Lost & one of my favorite shows, Nash Bridges. Indeed, I see a lot of actor cross over with Brisco & Nash.) I'm definitely enjoying the series & wonder why I didn't watch it when it first aired; probably didn't get hooked by the western aspect, Bruce Campbell or no. Also, having read Campbell's autobiography, it makes watching the show that much more fun. I'm loving it now, especially John Astin as Professor Wickwire...& of course, Dixie & the Schwenke sisters.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps