Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » THE DARK KNIGHT sucked $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: THE DARK KNIGHT sucked $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, a Robin story in the world BB & TDK are portraying just wouldn't ring true and I don't see Bale's Batman turning to a teenager to take up the slack, not in a million years. Also, in the real world I highly doubt social services (or whatever you yanks call it) would allow a single man, living alone to adopt a young boy, no matter how rich he is. Especially not one with a reputation for getting very publicly drunk and burning down his own house.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

Just no Mr. Freeze.

Or Poison Ivy talking like Mae West.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amen to that.

As to Robin, it was originally Bruce wayne witnessing the murder of Dick Grayson's parents and trying to spare the boy the twisted revenge-seeking childhood that led to Batman being so messed up.
Taken from that context and having the kid get involved anyway would fit nicely with the general theme IMHO.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: the Robin thing...

On the one hand, I indeed see the difficulties in it and know how badly it has been handled before. I certainly have no great personal love of the character(s). Still, it seems to me that Robin is too big and integral a part of the whole Batman story/mythos to simply leave out. Wouldn't that be a little like doing Superman without Lois Lane?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about bypassing the whole Robin thing and bringing out Nightwing?
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...same guy, different name? How would you do Nightwing without the Robin origin?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's pretty much what the Joel Schumacher films did.
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Re: the Robin thing...

On the one hand, I indeed see the difficulties in it and know how badly it has been handled before. I certainly have no great personal love of the character(s). Still, it seems to me that Robin is too big and integral a part of the whole Batman story/mythos to simply leave out. Wouldn't that be a little like doing Superman without Lois Lane?

No, because Lois is a fundamental component of the character, Robin (in any guise) isn't. Leaving out Robin is more like leaving out Supergirl, or Speedy. An important character for sure, but not an essential component to all incarnations of the character's mythos.
Regardless, with TDK we're now about a year into Batman's career, according to most versions Robin didn't show up until quite a few years down the line. Indeed, as I recall Greyson is supposed to be about the same age as Barbara Gordon, who I'm pretty sure appears in TDK as a three or four year old. So there's at LEAST ten years before Robin should even come into it anyway.

All a moot point anyway since Bale, Nolan et al have already stated their total lack of enthusiasm to feature a bare legged pre-teen wearing a cape and pixie boots in any future film. I don't blame them.

Oh and as for Freeze, don't let Arnie's terminally hammy performance put you off. Listen instead to Michael Ansara's performance. The costume and the characterisation shouldn't be too difficult to put into Nolan's Gotham, it's not like any of the other villains seen so far have been carbon copies of any previous incarnation.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

When you say "Captain Kirk," people say "Mister Spock." When you say "Batman," people say "Robin." They're the Dynamic Duo. Was Robin there from page one? No. But he's consistently and persistently been a part of the Batman story at least as much as Commissioner Gordon, Alfred, or the Joker have been. I don't think it's right to just pass over him because teenage sidekicks aren't in the vogue at this particular moment.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Uh...same guy, different name? How would you do Nightwing without the Robin origin?

Well I only said it because people seemed to hate the Robin idea some much. Maybe just have him be another adult who's inspired by Batman to become a masked crime fighter. To be honest, the idea of Batman having a sidekick is not bad in itself. Just like Mr. Freeze, you can't dismiss the whole idea just because of its poor implementation in the previous movies.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robin is year three.

Robin should be going on eleven or twelve when his parents get killed- he becomes Robin (after some real training) about a year later.
Grayson does the Nightwing thing around age seventeen (still with Teen titans after all).
All told in the conics, Batman has been at it about 15 years (making Bruce Wayne 40-ish and Nightwing 26-ish).

I'd be fine with a 15 year old Robin (so the whole "child endangerment" thing is slightly abated) and roll with the Tim Drake costume (total kevlar coverage with bo-staff- no green undies).

Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally got round to seeing it last night. I quite enjoyed it, I think I'm in the 'Really good but not best thing ever camp'. I particularly liked the opening scene - the clowns shooting each other was a nice touch. Also liked Alfred and his stories.

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
PartiallyClips done did a strip 'bout it. Does he really do that to the clowns?

Yes he does. And there are a lot of other very unpleasant moments in the movie. The word I used to describe it when I left the cinema was 'relentless'. There were scenes involving the Joker that I actually found difficult to watch, but that's the point really isn't it? It's funny you should point that strip out, as after I saw it I ended up having a discussion about the classification. Over here in the UK it's rated a 12A. This means that theoretically, a child of any age could go and watch it provided they had an adult with them. Not wanting to open a can of worms about censorship, I would never take my kid to see that movie and I would actually feel uncomfortable with a 12 year old seeing it. What is it rated over in the states?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

It's PG13.
Kinda a suprise it's not "R", but us Americans lavish visual violence on children on TV, so it's not that much above the norm.

Sex, nudity and alternative lifesty;es however remain taboo.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw this for the second time tonight. Enjoyed it a lot more this time around. And my companion for the viewing enjoyed it too, which is always good.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Y'know there's a rumor going around that Cher will appear in 3rd movie as Catwoman. I hope it stays just a rumor.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I swear...I hope she does.
Somehow that appeals to my nihilistic side.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps