Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $GA 5x11 Lost Tribe Part 2 $

Author Topic: $GA 5x11 Lost Tribe Part 2 $
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cute little girl engineer reminded me heavily of Kaylee, especially in that jerry-rigged engine room.

The Asgard .... bit far-fetched. Seems like they just wanted to put some Asgard in there. *deep scary voice* ONLY NOW THEY'RE BAD! I guess it's nice it's not just a scalien-of-the-week nor Yet Another Ancient[like] Faction, though. But fuck, it could have been the Furlings or something for chrissakes.

I half-expected Daniel to die again.

As for the rest: discuss, my fellow lunatics!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: The Asgard. I dunno, I'm pretty intrigued. I always felt that the Asgard were a bit underused in SG-1. Sure, they had the (original, truly creepy) Replicators to deal with, which provided a good excuse and some drama when the super-powerful guys couldn't help us. But at the same time, there was always this element of irony that the Asgard, for all their technical capabilities, couldn't deal with certain problems. These guys seem more likely to beat those problems. It also helps reinforce the idea that not all aliens are monolithic cultures.

And when the hell will everyone get it through their ungodly-thick skulls that were not going to see the fuckin' Furlings! Wasn't that scene from SG-1's 200th episode enough of a hint?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just pissed that we're never going to see them, and I don't understand why. They name Four Great Races and then basically go du-hur-hur the fourth one's name's too funny, we're not gonna show 'em.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Rodney on this one - I totally didn't see that one coming! (Somehow managed to avoid all spoilers this time.)

Considering this tribe's level of technological advancement and their obvious differing values, they might as well be a different race altogether. Of course, if Earth ever gets the chance to come across them again, they *might* want to mention that they have all the Asgards' collected knowledge. Might make for a friendlier encounter.

Daniel Butler, why'd you name this "Lost Tribe Part 2"? There was no part 2! [Razz]

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I'm just pissed that we're never going to see them, and I don't understand why. They name Four Great Races and then basically go du-hur-hur the fourth one's name's too funny, we're not gonna show 'em.

Oh, come on... it IS a stupid name! And if you don't like it, then I'm sure there's reams of fanfic written on the subject. [Roll Eyes]

Besides, who's to say they didn't die out? In the ancient Mediterranean, there were four great empires: Egypt, Greece, Carthage, and Rome. Only two of those cultures (Rome and Greece) can be considered even remotely to be in existence, and that's mainly because of an unbroken line of national existence in some form or other. The other two (Carthage and Egypt) were pretty much wiped out or died out, depending on how you interpret things.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think they could use the Furlings, in some way shape or form - maybe with a re-appearance of the Nox.

Umm... I sorta guessed it was the Asgard - well it was ONE or my guesses. [Wink] I wasn't swayed with the 'de-ascended ancient'. Was too early to bring back Elizabeth and the replicators. The only ones I THOUGHT it might have been was The Genii and Koyla SOME how.

Why aren't they trying to re-build the space-gate-bridge??

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Why aren't they trying to re-build the space-gate-bridge??
Mainly because they don't want to give the Wraith an express lane to the all-you-can-eat buffet.

I've got one more musing for the next episode: I think it's about time to move the city again... is there anyone who doesn't know where they are? (Yeah, I know the Asgard were following a signal, but there's Todd, too...)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should just take the city back to Earth. [Wink]

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

"Oh, come on... it IS a stupid name!"

Well...yeah...but....I'm really confused. So what if the name is silly? The whole concept of having a Fourth Great Race must therefore be silly? A silly-named species must look far too silly for television? I mean, what does the silly name have to do with not showing them ever?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Agreed. I think it makes the more intruiging.

I wonder what the original writers had thought of for the background for the Furlings?

The Nox seemed to be the basis of the Faerie myths.

The Asgard fit the Norse mythology.

The Ancients had Classical/Latin connections

The Goa'uld obviously seemed to take over a lot of other mythologies. Mostly Egyptian.

There were also those in season two who had connections to Native American cultures.

Presumably they also had technology that rivaled the other 'four great races'. I think we've only seen it once - on that moon that Maybourne went with O'Neil.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps