Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Who's On His Way... [Doctor Who Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Who's On His Way... [Doctor Who Spoilers]
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I have to say is: THANK GOD!

I hate David Tennant - I'll be so happy to see the back of him.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What bothers you so much about David Tennant? [Confused]
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Evberyone has a Doctor they hate. Except me. And maybe all those other people that don't hate one.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved Christopher Eccleston. I absolutely loved that guy. So when he left and Tennant came on, David already had points going against him. And then the first few episodes of the 2nd season had Tennant acting so goofy as the Doctor (IMHO), that I was turned off. I stopped watching my 2nd season DVDs halfway through.

Although I had seen some later eps on the SciFi Channel and noted the better acting on Tennant's part, he just never quite gelled for me. I know lots of people rave about him as the Doctor, and that's fine; but once I had Eccleston I couldn't go back.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell me you at least saw 'Blink'!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But that was a Doctor lite eppsiode.

I kind of agree with Dukhat. The tenth Doctor is a bit goofy, a bit more of a matey, chumy sort of Doctor. While Christopher Eccleston had the manic energy, he wasn't such a twit.

The other thing, is that the family market is very much determined by the lowest common denominator - young children. I think that Tennant, wether through his chich or the writers, started off as a figure that would appeal to children. But he has gotten a bit darker as his tenure went on.

All in all, not my favourite, not my least.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit those were my first thoughts as well. It has much to do with Eccleston actually playing a dark type of Doctor. I couldn't really get into the light-heartedness of Tennant at first, but when seen in a wider perspective, especially compared to Tom Baker, he does seem to have nailed the Doctor quite perfectly as episodes went by. I think it really started working for me when we got the opportunity to see him act a bit more serious in episodes like "Family of Blood", where he plays both a 'regular' non-goofy human and a very dark McCoy-style Doctor. Scenes like that put his regular portrayal of the Doctor in sort of perspective.

In retrospect, I think a 'goofy' Doctor was a wise choice after the moody Ninth. But the Doctor still hasn't entirely come to terms with the Time War events. I hope Moffat will wrap that part of the story up, and maybe let the Eleventh Doctor move on.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna weigh in on this discussion and say - while I liked Christopher Eccleston - David Tennant is fantastic as the Doctor (excuse the pun). [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
What bothers you so much about David Tennant? [Confused]

He just seems to shout a lot and jump and run around. It's like, you're going along quietly and calmly then BANG! OHH! I'VE GOT IT! OH WHY DIDN'T I SEE THAT BEFORE!? WE'VE GOT TO ....

I'd just like to see the Doctor be more...mature I guess...and David Tennant just doesn't do it for me as an actor. It's a real shame Christopher Eccleston left after one season - he was good. Added a little bit of darkness to it too. [Smile]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't too happy with the choice of David Tennant when Ecclestone left, but I quickly came to appreciate him. It'll probably be the same with whoever replaces him.

I do find the "AREN'T HUMANS AMAAAAZING!" speeches quite annoying, though.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps