Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGA 5x16 Brain Storm $$

Author Topic: $$ SGA 5x16 Brain Storm $$
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad Rodney finally got some of that. Other than that...very crappy episode in my opinion. I always like when Keller gets screen time, but most of this was her being the stereotypical useless woman for the man to rescue. And it was a rehash of a previous plot, flamboyantly so - as Rodney kept reminding us, this was his work first :-/

And freeze lightning? Come on.

Bill Nye though - childhood hero. That was cool. And funny.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Bill Nye proves again that he can only act as himself. And it's cool. [Smile]

Otherwise, not too much to report. I was sorta thinking at first that they would bring back SG-1's "Touchstone", another weather-havoc technology, but this one keeps it closer to Atlantis. Funny how they ddn't really explore how they got ahold of McKay's paper, though.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, when Keller asked "Will the military let them keep experimenting?" I was thinking McKay should respond "No, they're going to arrest them all for stealing top-secret government research. *My* research, by the way."
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill Nye, Neil Degrasse Tyson, David Hewlett, Jewel Staite, and Dave Foley all on the same screen together. Yeah, that's high density awesome.

Though, do you think that Tyson or Nye could've told them that heat is transferred through particles and isn't just "energy" - kind of negating the idea of their energy only bridge?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I would imagine that they also had some method of transferring the heat from said particles into the bridge. After all, every single cooling mechanism that exists in real life involves forcing the heat to move from one place to another...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By moving the heat with water or air, both of which are particulate matter. After all, temperature is only how energetic molecules are, so separating them out is pretty silly science, especially when you've got Tyson and Nye around.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, but the energy is being transferred in some form, from one particle to another. The only difference is that instead of another particle receiving the energy, it's the inter-universe-bridge-thing.

Hell, they've got plasma cannons and hyperdrives and matter-energy transporters. And you're gonna complain about the heat transfer? [Wink]

I actually think the weirdest part of the episode was the forcefields around the building... wouldn't that have been an incredible invention all on its own? I don't recall Stargate establishing such technology being released to the public before.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

OnToMars
Member # 621

So what particles are in the bridge that actually transfer the heat? Or is the material of the bridge, whatever it is, absorbing and transferring the heat? That still means that the bridge itself would be made of matter, which doesn't make any sense.

Sci-fi technobabble is such a fine line to walk. But there's a difference between truly basic precepts of how the physical world works and the stock elements of the genre (ray guns, hyper drives, and transporters) that you just have to accept. Besides, I don't think it's too much to ask that science fiction march forward in its understanding of science the same way actual science does (even if it does so hundreds of leagues behind).

And yeah, the forcefield thing was a WTF. Bill Nye the Science Guy isn't surprised that forcefields exist all of the sudden? We can only assume at this point that all the uber tech has really trickled into the general populace and Earth doesn't really look the way we see it anymore.

Oh well.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Heat *is* energy. Kinetic energy. I don't think they mean 'energy only' on the bridge in the sense of 'electromagnetic energy' which isn't actually energy at all, but more particles. (Or, well, wave/particle dualities, but protons and neutrons and so on are also wave/particle dualities, but the waves have much much higher frequencies.) As for directly transferring kinetic energy from one place to another without bumping them into intervening particles, well, maybe the Ancients (and therefore McKay) know more about energy than we do and can access energy more directly than hitting things or burning things. (And it's worth mentioning after all of that that according to Einstein matter and energy are interchangeable anyway, so if in the world of Stargate matter can be teleported from one place to another, presumably so can energy.)
OnToMars
Member # 621

Yeah, maybe. Wouldn't it be nice if this were the technobabble instead, something approximating an actual science lesson.

Oh well.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Heat *is* energy. Kinetic energy. I don't think they mean 'energy only' on the bridge in the sense of 'electromagnetic energy' which isn't actually energy at all, but more particles. (Or, well, wave/particle dualities, but protons and neutrons and so on are also wave/particle dualities, but the waves have much much higher frequencies.) As for directly transferring kinetic energy from one place to another without bumping them into intervening particles, well, maybe the Ancients (and therefore McKay) know more about energy than we do and can access energy more directly than hitting things or burning things. (And it's worth mentioning after all of that that according to Einstein matter and energy are interchangeable anyway, so if in the world of Stargate matter can be teleported from one place to another, presumably so can energy.)

Well if that weren't the case then every time they gated or teleported there radios and other electrical gear would all loose power and die, no? [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

*points to where he said "electromagnetic energy isn't actually energy"* I mean like kinetic and potential energy. The E in E=mc2.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps