Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGA 5x18-20 $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ SGA 5x18-20 $$
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The antarctic outpost size was never really quantified, though "Rising" suggests that it was a fair sized complex of several buildings and towers that was at one point a part of Atlantis' construction and launch facilities. As Atlantis was not a unique installation (there were at least three IIRC) it follows that the antarctic outpost may have been a shipyard of sorts and be big enough to support such operations.

When it was moved, the dialogue suggests that just the chair and arguably the drones it commanded were moved, as the UN treaty forbids weapons on the continent. We saw a similar chair installation on Proclaroush Taonas, remember - I wonder if anyone bothered to go looking for drones there?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When we saw Atlantis take off in "Rising" it looked as if the outpost was, at least in part, some kind of a tower that fit partially within the central spire of the city. Of course, when the outpost was first seen, the idea of the city fitting over it hadn't been conceived. But it stands to reason that another Lantean city ship was in position at Taonas at some point too. Could've even been the one that ended up in Pegasus seen in "The Tower".

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished watching the finale. And I have one big question:

Can they please just drop the whole "keeping the Stargate secret" thing already? It's starting to get really implausible and unbelievable.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Can they please just drop the whole "keeping the Stargate secret" thing already? It's starting to get really implausible and unbelievable

THANK YOU. That's the only worthwhile story left to tell at this point.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, having an invisible city sat in San Francisco bay is pushing credibility just a tad. Wouldn't be so bad if it was in the middle of an ocean or in Antarctica, but right next to a major port city? Bonkers!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the only story left I'd be actually excited to see shown. Everything else is neatly tied off; I want to see them reveal the Gate due to a massive alien attack (fanboy moment: The Wraith allied with Anubis who has managed to escape/defeat Oma Desala!) and the ensuing public what-the-fuckery.

I thought the outpost was built to facilitate construction of Atlantis, but wasn't necessarily a 'shipyard,' because I didn't think it could probably build other ships. I imagined it was 95% a big flat metal landing area with holes for the engines to stick through. But I guess anybody's speculation is as good as anybody else's [Razz]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about that. Part of the charm of the Stargate universe is that it's rooted in the "real world". Making the gate and all that goes with it would destroy that illusion and just make it like almost any other sci-fi show. It's certainly fun to dip into a world where the SGC has gone public in the time travel & alternate universe episodes but I can't see it happening in the main continuity, at least not for quite a while.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

StationMaster
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for StationMaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been a while... and then mostly ranting about Dr Who and Torchwood... but perhaps its time I turned to one of my more ... traditional... sci fi's.

I have been a long term fan of the whole Stargate series and Atlantis was eagerly anticipated for me.

I think I would sum Atlantis up as the opportunity missed and the last show pretty much confirmed that.

Not going about grabbing the wrong end of the stick as I actually loved the series, but the last one felt rushed, squeezed and compared to some of the earlier plots, quite dull really.
There were far too many nods in it, although the nod to Don S Davis was sadly and greatly appreciated. The Keler nod was utterly pointless as if only to say, "shes in the credits, may as well put her in".
Compared to previous Stargate SG1 and Atlantis episodes, the show seemed to forget the wonderful attention to real world details. Lets send up a 10 F302's againsts dozens of darts... what? Why did they not send up more conventional jets to back the 302's up?
And I may have this wrong... but I thought that US military officers were not allowed to wear personal jewelery on duty? And I may be wrong on this, but I swear Carter was wearing ear rings during one of the scenes...

As previously mentioned, this could have been fleshed out in to a hour and a half spectacular. You could have enjoyed the tension. Enjoyed some intellegent dialogue. A true send off to the series.
But because it was rushed through, you were left a little numb and wanting more as it finished.

For me, it was a sad ending to what could have been an amazing series. But as I started, Atlantis was the great lost opportunity of sci fi.

But there were some fantastic gems along the way...

And now folks... the great Sci Fi drought begins... [Frown]

--------------------
---- AAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!----

I feel better now.

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually a little upset with the crew of the show for the rushed feeling. They could easily have made it a two-parter and gotten rid of Vegas, which was just...pointless to me. I mean it was a fun episode, but it was the *second to last* episode. They really thought it was a better use of time to parody CSI instead of building up the finale and maybe looking at a few loose ends? I mean it barely contributed anything to the plot. They didn't have to have a whole episode to explain how the Wraith got a signal telling them where Earth was, and then spend another episode squashing everything in. It seemed really disproportionate in terms of time available and time spent, like their priorities were more to have a 'cool' or 'fun' episode than to tie up the series properly.

I'm just ranting at this point so I'll stop.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK Finally gotten around to watching the last 5 episodes. What a let down. All of them were TOTALLY unnecessary.

The Las Vegas ep - the ep on board the Wraith ship with the zombie-wraith, the keller-vala clone switcheroo, the finale - all of it.

Ever since the ending of the Elizabeth Weir story line - it's like Atlantis limped home.

Atlantis sorta lost it's way a while back. There were fantastic shows - but Atlantis became too... 'familiar' too quickly. I loved the 'isolation' of season 1. They were supposed to go to Pegasus to find new technology. There weren't many real 'discoveries' though.

They sorta lost that.

I reckon they should have had the wraith making a beach-head/foothold in the Milkyway galaxy.

Who was the chick at the end who wanted to take Ronin for a walk? Was it the chick from the control centre on Atlantis?

Too rushed. Too many missed opportunities. Atlantis and the Pegasus galaxy unfortunately feels all a little 'familiar' now.

Atlantis needs to be taken back to Pegasus in my opinion.

So that question still does remain - the chair was moved and destroyed - does that mean that the whole weapons platform is destroyed? Can't they just go and get a spare chair from a few of the places we've seen before that had chairs. Like in "The Lost City Parts 1 and 2" those couple of Ancient outposts SG1 visited that I think had chairs but no ZPMs or something.

I think removing the ancient outpost from Antarctica is silly - as it's use is a protection for Earth - what better place to put it than Antarctica?

Nice, touching tribute to Don S. Davis.

Why do Pegasus gates superceed Milky Way gates?

What WAS the real point of the previous 'switcheroo' episode - introducing that ancient device again.

It does seem a little bit of a strange way to 'communicate' - and to me it was something that was way more ancient... than the ancients. Like REALLY old tech. I wish that's why they planted it in there - but I think it was just an excuse for some hijinks for Keller.

I must say though, the effects are still topnotch.

The scene with 'replaced Keller' walking out and looking over Atlantis with a puddle-jumper flying over head and the sun shining... seemless. It looked like it was the real thing... no discernable 'effects' going on in that shot - i.e. green-screening or whatever.

Hopefully the straight-to-DVD movies will be good.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Atlantis became too... 'familiar' too quickly. I loved the 'isolation' of season 1. They were supposed to go to Pegasus to find new technology. There weren't many real 'discoveries' though.

I like to refer to this as "Voyager Syndrome"
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latest news on "Universe" suggests that they are back on the Voayger Syndrome too, but with a longer plan to it beyond the first year. They actually establish a way to "get home" early on, using familiar tech, but it's not a permanent solution.

People like me who were disappointed with the finale of Atlantis have generally found solace in the fact that the finale was not written or shot like an actual series finale - so the lack of build-up is not a surprise. Joseph Mallozzi released the loose story plan for the sixth season a while ago, and it indicated a return to Pegasus along with a story arc (which honestly didn't intrigue me much).

Still looking forward to Universe!

Mark

PS - Pegasus gates are digital and the Milky Way has analog. That's why Pegasus gates, which were produced later, supercede the originals in programming.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:

PS - Pegasus gates are digital and the Milky Way has analog. That's why Pegasus gates, which were produced later, supercede the originals in programming.

I always wondered if the other galaxys have their own types of gates?

The Ori rings looked different - more ornate. I wonder if the Asgard had their own gates? I mean The Tollan could make their own gates and they were only a few hundred years in front of Earth technology-wise (supposedly). Actually what if they were unascended Ancients... yes yes, that story element wasn't introduced when they were around. Things fit though.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

The Asgard had a Milky Way-style analog gate with red chevrons, which is what O'Neill popped through on their homeworld. I don't think the Asgard had a gate system since FTL travel was VERY fast for them and they probably had little use for stargates. The gate they had may simply have been a relic or something they put in a corridor somewhere against the day they'd need access to the Milky Way (or if they really were waiting for the Fifth Race to evolve).

The Ori had no gates per se, and "The Ark of Truth" implied that the guy who invented the stargates did so only after the Ancients left the Ori galaxy. The transport ring tech originated in the Ori galaxy and it seems that their rings are capable of operating between stars.

In "Universe", the Destiny is supposed to be following an unmanned seeder ship which has been laying down a network of gates through the galaxies it passed through. We don't yet know what they look like, however I'd think it safe to assume it's not dissimilar in nature to the Pegasus gates we've seen, probably differentiated by colour depending on which galaxy they're in.

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps