Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Easter weekend scifi?

Author Topic: Easter weekend scifi?
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anybody else catch either the Red Dwarf 3 parter, or the new Doctor Who this weekend gone?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neither seemed very well received by anyone I know, but I quite enjoyed the Dr Who episode. The bad guys were pretty good, although they didn't live up to RTD's "better than Daleks" claim. Lee Evans didn't annoy me as much as he usually does and I thought Michelle Ryan's character was a better companion than Donna or Kylie. The flying bus was a bit much, but no RTD script is complete without something completely over the top.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh goodie. The Dr Who eppisode was OK, Lee Evans was good, as he didn't hog the whole thing, and Michelle Ryan was better than Kylie (Catherine Tate was very unlucky to come into the show during a crap season I think - Donna should have been much better).

As for Red Dwarf. Oh dear. Let me put it this way: I hate laugh tracks, but that needed one, if only to show me what the hell I was expected to find funny.

It is possible, that it did have a laughter track, and that it was completley silent should have given me a clue.

I think I can now safely say Doug Naylor is the reason that Season 7 and 8 sucked quite as hugely as they did. Rob Grant was obviously needed in that partnership.

If I wanted to see a remake of season 5's "Back to Reality" spliced bizarly with The League of Gentlemen’s Apocalypse, with a dash of Blade Runner and no humour on the side...grrrrrrr.

Once again the hype has truely overshadowed the event.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the Doctor Who special did exactly what it was supposed to do: be the last 'continuity light' RTD episode. It had CGI aliens, 'physical' aliens and loads of those typical RTD ideas like flying buses and Doctor-worshiping mad professors. A few scary bits, a few funny bits, some half-way decent scifi-ish ideas, and we got a pretty good textbook example of the kind of Doctor Who RTD made. That is of course a pretty good indication that the fanbase is going to be split.

I quite enjoyed it. Seemed like good family value, and it was actually quite nice to have an episode that didn't have to deal with massively important lore or enemies. I think the whole "The entire universe is at stake" genre of Doctor Who needs a break after Davros and his Reality Bomb.

Did anyone catch the teaser for the next Who special, "Waters from Mars"? That seems like a take on the classic 60s "space base under siege" genre. The water-spouting zombies seem like a pretty good monster.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red Dwarf wasn't what I expected. I was surprised. It wasn't the most BRILLIANT Red Dwarf... but it wasn't the worst either. I had a few actual laugh-out-loud moments.

Doctor Who. Agree pretty much with Ginger Beacon...

Flying bus was a bit too much. It was just an average episode - not really and 'event'. Did RTD really say that about those flying aliens!?! Does he just say this stuff and expect people to believe it?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

tricky
Member # 1402

- posted      Profile for tricky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Think the Red Dwarf was filmed with the expectation of a laughter track, hence the pauses which really break up the dialog flow when they don't add the laughter...

--------------------
Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Doctor Who, but didn't think much of it; it was decent, but not worth the long wait they make me go through for new Doctor Who. I downloaded Caprica and really enjoyed that, though.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Doctor Who special wasn't bad.

The Red Dwarf one was.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps