Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » New Torchwood - Children of Earth $$ (perhaps)

Author Topic: New Torchwood - Children of Earth $$ (perhaps)
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody catch the latest offering from Russel T Davis and co? I missed it, but I've just noticed it online, so I'll watch it after dinner.

It's a mini series this time, lasting all week so it seems (allright, sometimes I miss having a TV).

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$$poilers from me!

I've seen "Day One", and liked everything so far. I don't consider Torchwood of the same level of brilliance as Doctor Who, mostly because of some frankly atrocious character development in the first season. The second season was far better than the first though, and this is an improvement on that. The third season is a five-part miniseries being broadcast all week long, with each episode apparently covering a single day.

It's a little strange that Torchwood has been operating independently for so long, with just the three of them defending Cardiff. They're actively looking for a new doctor at least... But they don't seem to answer to anyone and thus have been taking their time staffing back up. Personally, I'd like to see a return to the original Torchwood style with tons of personel and backup from UNIT as needed, just without the corruption that almost died with everyone at Canary Wharf.

This week's "456" crisis seems neat so far, but there has been little actual danger so far from these aliens, and moreso from the government elements who have decided that Torchwood is best dealt with violently and lethally. We'll see soon what's up the ministry's butt about the aliens.

And some have been wondering about the rest of the franchise, since a global problem like this is just the sort of thing the Doctor specializes in. Given that he's not always around (this PROBABLY happens after "Planet of the Dead" but I'm guessing it's not important), is Sarah Jane and her gang of pubescents going to be doing something about this? At least I'm hoping that this could be referenced in their third seaosn coming later this year (especially since the Doctos is guesting in one of the stories). Martha was nicely mentioned as being on her honeymoon, but UNIT has plenty of backup. Nifty mention of Colonel Mace, who was in charge from last year's Sontaran invasion, has been transferred to UNIT's branch in Vancouver. Nicer still to finally recognize my country HAS something to do with the Whoniverse in some way. [Wink]

On with the show!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$Spoilers from me as well$$

I've watched the first two episodes now, and can so far sum up my feelings in four words - "fun but very silly". I tried watching Torchwood when it first started but wasn't impressed by the 1st series, and gave the 2nd a miss. So far this serial has been okay, but I really have had to switch my brain off at points. Is it just me or was the character of Lois introduced to give a convenient Deus Ex to get Gwen to the right place at the right time? Oh I know they tried to write it off that she was a PA, but her story points are pretty unconvincing. Good to see Peter Capaldi back on the TV though, he's one of my favourite actors.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:

And some have been wondering about the rest of the franchise, since a global problem like this is just the sort of thing the Doctor specializes in.
Mark

Again, I have chosen to deal with this inconsistency by switching my brain off and ignoring it.

Finally, can someone please teach Ianto how to run? Watching him trying to escape from the sniper had me in stitches!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I'm not reading the spoilers above, just in case, but : The first series wasn't very good. I watched the first episode of the second series, and it was about fifty times less good. Did that ever change? Is there any reason why I should catch up on series 2, and watch these new episodes?
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably wouldn't bother with catching up on most of series 2. Some OK episodes, but I missed several of them (and a few of the first season too) and never bothered to catch up. End of season 2 was quite good, but not great. This mini-series is quite good so far, and works OK as a stand alone.

N I H sums it up pretty well.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may not all be fans of Torchwood, but I still would suggest watching at least (up to) Day Four of Children of Earth.

In fact, would strongly implore you to watch Day Four. IMO, this was an epic hour of British science fiction. I won't spoil anything.. but if you expect British scifi to be bleak and without any happy endings, then certainly wins.

It's also the first time in Children of Earth that I felt that the Doctor really would not fit in. He's too happy and light-hearted for Torchwood, but up until now, this was often a bit artificial, as Torchwood itself tended to be silly in its own way. But really, this time.. it worked. I would go as far as to say it's unfair that this story takes place in the Doctor Who universe, and its much better if you just ignore that for a bit.

But then again, in this episode, it surprisingly is all about the humans. The 456 are still mostly a mystery, but the alien turns out not really be the prime villain.

Not Invented Here
Member # 1606

- posted      Profile for Not Invented Here     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished watching the last 2 episodes on iPlayer. Gut reaction - too much sentimentality and the political plotlines were just terrible. Some good bits though, and at least it kept me watching to the end. Really liked the performance from the UNIT colonel. Will have a more digested opinion later.

Does anyone else think the American general may have been written in to make the series more palatable to BBC America? Anyone from across the pond care to comment? His appearance and the capitulation of the British government to him seemed a little forced.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps