Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ Stargate Universe Trailer at Comic Con! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Stargate Universe Trailer at Comic Con!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boom, baby! Spoilers ahead.

http://www.gateworld.net/video/newsandfeatures/1248429391.shtml

Lots of cool stuff and plenty of clues to the until-now nebulous setup to this series. Comments ahead:

- Eli Wallace seems to be the "newcomer" angle into this new show. He's beamed up to a ship and then beamed down to the Icarus Base later on.

- The new ship is presumably the USS George Hammond discussed previously, under command of Colonel Carter.

- The Earth ship takes Eli, Dr. Rush, Chloe Armstong and her dad to the Icarus Base. This is dramatically important because it makes the first voyage through the Stargate in the show to actually gate to Destiny. But on the technical side, this indicates that the gate on the base is probablyg "off the grid" for Dr. Rush to work on the ninth chevron. Thus, needing to take a ship there instead of gating directly.

- The little outcropping they get beamed down to is defended, with one of the railguns we saw on Atlantis and the familiar .50 cal point guns normally flanking the gate of the SGC.

- At least for the trailer, the wormhole effect is the same created for Atlantis and used later on SG-1, but white instead of blue or green. Looks better that way and closer to the color scheme of the original movie effect.

- Carlo Rota is one of the actors seen int he trailer. He's a fairly well known Canadian actor (most recently leading the cast in "Little Mosque on the Prairie" - yeah, you heard me), so he may be one of the more important earlier casualties.

- Icarus Base comes under attack by Goa'uld death gliders and at least one Ha'tak mothership. There are presumably no more System Lords, so either it's a rogue Jaffa group, the Lucian Alliance, or someone else out there who's managed to assemble a force large enough to attack them.

- Apparently the only way off the base is through the stargate, which can go either ONLY to wherever the ninth chevron is supposed to go, or Rush refuses to reset the gate to get back home (or doesn't have the time to do so). In any case, faced with a superior attacking force, it seems that Colonel Young is forced to order everyone through.

- Finally get a decent look at the Destiny, and it's fairly avian in shape with a ton of greeblies. It's growing on me quickly... The size people will have fun with this for a while, too. First guess - 500m? [Smile]

- They didn't bring space suits with them, but it looks like they'll be able to use some Ancient models they'll find.

I'm genuinely excited by this "new BSG meets Stargate" concept. Consider me officially sold through the pilot episode. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Josh
Member # 1884

- posted      Profile for Josh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to admit, I'm warming up to the show. I liked seeing some of the old SG technology like the 304 and railgun (God RDA looked fat in the opening.

Did anyone else catch the Pagasus Asgard space suit? It looked to be the same, minus the helmet. Most visible at 2:30

-

Can't say I'm crazy for the music, I hope this doesn't turn into STXI with Kirk listening to the Beastie Boys

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was never able to get into the previous Stargate series, but this one does seem to have a lot of buzz around it. The only thing is that I'm getting Star Trek Voyager vibe, you know them being stranded light years from Earth. But I will definitely check it out.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still on the fence as trailers are a poor measurement of quality. Plus I'm always suspicious of any product that underlines how new, hip and edgy it is. I've seen that approach backfire before.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm trying not to make up my mind. But they keep feeding the stereotypes. First it was Stargate: 90210, and now it's going to be Battlestargate: Voyager. We'll see.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it IS Battlestargate, I won't mind. SG-1 and Atlantis were hardly groundbreaking sci-fi, but they did it RIGHT in my view.

SG-1 was known for taking cliches established ten years previous by the modern Trek franchise and redo-ing them to the fans' satisfaction, often poking fun at it in the process while tackling a similar setup in a different way. Where TNG had "Cause and Effect", SG-1 did "Window of Opportunity". TNG had "The Inner Light", and SG-1 had "A Hundred Days". TNG had the Borg, Klingons and Romulans, and SG-1 had Replicators, Jaffa and... Some paranoid race like the Romulans, and so forth. These ideas have been recycled through science fiction for decades now, and this isn't any different.

So if Stargate wishes to tread the ground already "trailblazed" by a previous series, I say let them! There's a chance to take a similar original concept and make it their own. Fifteen seasons' worth of Stargate doing just that in a sufficiently entertaining fashion has worked for this fan.

Mark

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK... well I love the music. I like the idea that Rush is kind of the Dr. Smith character. The trailer had me worried for a second that they didn't start off with a Milky Way Gate... but that seems to be just bad editing.

I didn't see Carlo Rota.

The dialog does seem to suggest that they can only dial the 9-symbol address. Or maybe That's what Rush tells them.

Look like we have a"T'Pol in the Decon chamber" scene.

Love the Star Wars joke.

Yah, I'm definitely looking forward to waiting a year then buying it on DVD.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
If it IS Battlestargate, I won't mind.

Fuck that shit right to the Fuck That Shit Galaxy, which requires a "big nothing" win on black at the Stargate roulette wheel.

For the record, I hate BSG and laugh derisivly whenever I hear fans lament it's awful ending!

BWHAHAHAH!!!!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the ending...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

I couldn't make it to the ending. Hell, I couldn't finish the third season DVDs I bought. I will someday, probably, whatever...

But as I mentioned earlier, Stargate has a pretty good track record of doing stuff that's been done before in a more enjoyable fashion, usually with more tongue-in-cheek humour and fun factor. If this IS the Stargate take on the BSG setup, I know their work will be less serious while maintaining the dire situation they're trying to sell with this trailer.

Mark

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as it's not that idiotic "shakey cam" or the BSG space battles with no sound effects (I know there's no sound in space but it should follow the previous series' standards).
I got enough of that ripped-off vibe from the last Trek movie, thanks.

I personally hope it has a personality all it's own and that. as humans should not have colonized everywhere yet, they show a lot of unique and non-humanoid aliens.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

I can understand the shaky cam, but where have you seen a space battle on BSG with no sound?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a bit of a grey area. They used the same atmosphere/explosion sound envelope rational as B5. The only show that I can recall sticking to "no sound in space" was Firefly.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although even Firefly cheated a little bit in "Serenity". The climactic battle over the planet had sound effects. But the cloud supposedly provided some kind of atmosphere.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, who cares about Space ships noises in space - there's already a certain amount of suspension of belief.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps