Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ SGU 1x13 "Faith" $$

Author Topic: $$ SGU 1x13 "Faith" $$
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Tkon moved a brand-new star into Destiny's path and hired the Magratheans to build a planet that's perfect for humans, has a Mysterious Obelisk that can send a message somewhere.

Timeline! TJ is apparently 15 weeks pregnant. Take out 3 weeks for being planetside (assuming she told Chloe partway through the visit) and maybe another 3 weeks for her and Young to have the affair, Young's wife to find out, TJ to find out she's pregnant and request a transfer. So, they've been on Destiny for around 9 weeks.

New, interesting stuff found in other areas of Destiny. The robot will make a return...

The seeder ships are, what, a few thousand years ahead of Destiny?

Have we seen the last of the people that decided to stay behind? Given that this is SG, chances are the aliens that built this planet are malicious somehow and torture the settlers, learn about Destiny, find it, attack, etc. It would be nice for a change to meet a benevolent advanced race, but...

TJ's pregnant. How are they going to work this out? Miscarriage? She gets back to Earth somehow? Both mama and baby die?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
The Tkon moved a brand-new star into Destiny's path and hired the Magratheans to build a planet that's perfect for humans, has a Mysterious Obelisk that can send a message somewhere.

All I could think about once I saw the obelisk were the Vok from Beast Wars.
quote:
Have we seen the last of the people that decided to stay behind?

How many people did wind up staying behind, anyway? They mentioned at some point that 11 were planning to, but those were including military like TJ that wound up going back to Destiny.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And considering how there seemed to be at least five or six military personnel who walked past Rush Young (implying they wanted to stay and were obeying his order to return), that seems like a very small number of people who stayed behind. That would have made for an interesting shot, even if there was no dialogue, to show the people who stayed on the planet.

[ April 17, 2010, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: MinutiaeMan ]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well at most it's 8 people that stayed behind, though they didn't say they wanted to live there forever, just that the race that built the system would be able to send them home.

I'm sure they'll be back, or at least mentioned again. So far nothing in the show has been throw-away; even the swirly dust thing got an encore.

Young really does seam to genuinely want to mend fences with Rush. The attempted take over must have shown him the depth of resentment there was among the civvies and if he allows tensions to remain high, it'll get VERY ugly.

That aside, they just can't keep the constant antagonism with Rush up forever, it'll just get very old and tired so I suspect they'll start throwing them together more.

As for the other characters, am I the only one that's REALLY starting to dislike Wray? Ming-Na bless her seams to be doing her damnedest to humanise her and I get that she's just an IOA bureaucrat who's way out of her depth, but she just keeps coming across as this simpering, two faced, cowardly and inept manipulator. Maybe I'm prejudiced as I've spent most of my working life in offices and I've had to deal with loads of passive aggressive women just like this...but still, at least Rush makes no bones about being an antagonist.

Actually, come to think of it, Eli and TJ are the only characters I actually like so far.

Small note: am I crazy, or are there an inordinate number of bible bashers for such a group of scientists and squaddies?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bit behind in my Stargate viewing. Another good episode! It will be VERY interesting to see what happens with that Obelisk.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering whether Destiny has the ability to
make new stargates? I mean the seeder ships certainly do, and Destiny is kind of on clean up behind them. I had assumed that aside from scooping up starfuel, it was stopping off near interesting planets with gates on them. But here it finds a new star (?! Or was it moved here) and a new planet (?! I LOL'd at Magrathean involvement) evidently neither of existed last time through, so clearly hadn't been seeded. And it made me wonder if part of her mission wasn't to drop new gates. On a potentially related note, do we know whether the Destiny gates can be dialed manually?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of the planets thus far has had a DHD; everything has to be done through the remotes. I would hazard a wager and say that part of Destiny's mission is to install DHDs on the gates that the seeder ships left behind.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd guess that the gates might have manual dialing capability, considering it was a feature of the Milky Way gates... wasn't the DHD also supposed to be the power source? I guess that the SGU gates have their power source in the base that it's mounted on.

But so far in SGU, the people we've seen don't likely have the experience to dial manually (or more importantly, to know the addresses they need to dial), and there hasn't exactly been the opportunity for dialing manually. (Aside from those numbskulls who left the desert planet way back in the pilot and were never heard from again.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that these are essentially proto-gates that pre-date the Milky-way and Pegasus networks. It's entierly possible that they have only a fraction of the facilities we've seen in the others. Plus of course these gates were specifically seeded to allow the crew of the Destiny to explore the Universe, not establish a user friendly galaxy wide transit infrastructure. There may even be specific safeguards in place to prevent anyone without a remote to manually dial a gate.
Probably not foolproof safeguards of course as I'm sure the blue aliens are working on it.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I guess it depends on whether the designers consider the manual dialing a safety feature or a usability feature. As a safety feature, I think they'd build it in as early as possible for those rare circumstances where someone gets stuck without a remote.

But if it's a usability feature, then you're right— they wouldn't build it in until the second, permanent, galaxy-wide network was set up. When they want everyone to be able to use the system.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
TJ's pregnant. How are they going to work this out? Miscarriage? She gets back to Earth somehow? Both mama and baby die?

Why can't she just have the baby and they both survive and live on Destiny? That'd be an interesting addition to the show, trying to protect a poor baby every time the ship is attacked or whatever.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

^Agreed. I can just see Rush baby sitting for TJ.

quote:
But if it's a usability feature, then you're right— they wouldn't build it in until the second, permanent, galaxy-wide network was set up. When they want everyone to be able to use the system.
Well my thinking is that making it so only Destiny's crew can dial is a safety and security feature as there doesn't appear to be anything equivalent to an iris or gate shield.
On top of that, I imaging the Ancients wouldn't want an otherwise less advanced race from using the gates to set up a galaxy wide empire in their absence...like the Goa'uld did.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

But the Ancients didn't seem to be worried about any other aliens being more powerful... The Goa'uld were a very, very recent development (less than 10,000 years ago) and the Ancients have overall been portrayed as an overconfident bunch. (See also: the Wraith, that time-loop machine, etc.)

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Perhaps the aloof overconfident ancients were a later development. I mean they have a history that spans MILLIONS of years so perhaps in those early days they were more cautious of the unknown. By the time of the plague, Atlantis and the "Four Races" they knew they were pretty secure and could handle just about anything.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps