Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ DW 5x03 Victory of the Daleks $$

Author Topic: $$ DW 5x03 Victory of the Daleks $$
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scientist, Strategist, Drone, Eternal, and The Supreme. Interesting.

WWII fighters in 'gravity bubbles' flying into space is silly enough, but their propellers are running. If they just have a small bubble of air with them, how would pushing that air around inside the bubble move the damn thing? Then they have lasers and shit too. I guess from Amy not remembering the Daleks that this whole mess screws up the Timey-Wimey Ball somehow, in which case I'll make allowances for massive numbers of soldiers, scientists, and government officials mastering alien technology in 194X. Otherwise it's just silly, silly, silly. Much too silly.

I bet the cracks have something to do with the above - paradoxes and things breaking reality.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You didn't even mention the fact that they apparently managed to convert those planes from regular planes to spacecraft in literally a matter of seconds.

A pretty terrible episode all around, I thought.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I didn't like it either. I also honestly wish they'd just stop bringing the Daleks back. Hasn't it been more than 5 times in 5 seasons now that they've resurrected somehow from total destruction?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one getting the impression that the show is being dumbed down a bit. I mean I know it's supposed to be family entertainment and there should always be an element of Who silliness, but it feels like it's lost it's edge or it's been made far too kiddy friendly. If Doctor Who isn't giving children nightmares then it's not doing it's job dammit!! [Wink]

Also, I'm started to get weirded out by Amelia, she has this over excited stare that she fixes people with that's just downright unsettling.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

YMMV - I thought that stare was sexy [Razz]

It does seem a little bit sillier in general this season. Maybe Moffat likes silly.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought Moffat was the more serious storyline writer and Davies was the 'silly' storyline writer. I haven't watched this Dalek episode yet - but I think after their complete annhilation it should have been a while before we saw them again.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$$$$$$$$$
Regarding the new-new Daleks, I don't understand why they gave them bigass hunchbacks. They reminded me of this (sadly, lacking the moustache).

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I don't understand why they aren't 100% the same as the ones Davros originally created, if they're made of "original" Dalek DNA. And yet the Soldier!Daleks did say "BEHOLD A NEW DALEK PARADIIIIIGM" and they are visibly different. (Then again, the original Daleks couldn't even move if they weren't on a charged metal floor or something like that IIRC...so maybe the *machine* they ride in can be improved, but changing the *meat* is sacrilege.)
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall the last lot were made by Davros from his own DNA, so he'd basically had to recreate them from scratch. Whatever was in that gizmo seams to be a much more refined genetic template.

Still doesn't explain why they new ones have the sticky out arse or the fisher price colours.

[ April 22, 2010, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally caught this episode this past week.

Other than the fact that the Daleks actually won, I didn't see much of value in this episode either. It's not explained why the new Daleks are any better or purer than the old Daleks, and the bomb in Bracewell's chest doesn't explode because of the power of love.

Ugh.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just you wait for the scary stone angel thingys. Almost made up for this shocking piece of crap!

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps