Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$$ Iron Man 2 $$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$$ Iron Man 2 $$$
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some spoilerific Iron Man 2 appreciation all up in here.

I wound up having a whole lot of fun, and felt there were some pretty great suit sequences to be had. But enough about me:

Who has seen it? What did you think? How did you feel it compared with the last one? FAvorite moments?

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was better than the last one, but not by a great deal. I found myself much more enamored with all the pretty blue transparent touchscreens all over the place than with the suits.

Also, that scene near the beginning, where some poor bastard got twisted in half? That just freaked me right the hell out.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'll have you know that pilot survived"

Yeah, right.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like fun but I think I'll wait for the DVD.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fabrux:
"I'll have you know that pilot survived"

Yeah, right.

I loved it - that scene with the Iranian and North Korean mechs/suits needs to be screengrabbed as soon as a bootleg can be aquired!
The NK mech looked a lot like the Avatar rig to me!

Overall, a very fun ride- with one oddity in particular:
My roommate and I went sunday night and got there a bit early- and we watched the post-credits scene before watching the movie.
During the movie, when agent Coleson tells Stark that he's been re-assigned to Nevada, Tony says "Land of enchantment" and Coleson deadpans "So they tell me".
Considering that Coleson is there to find Thor's enchanted hammer, that bit of verbal parley was funny.

Scarlet Johansen was amazing as the Black Widow- I'm SO HAPPY they did not force on her some "boris and natasha" accent!

Great to see a version of the armor that comes from a briefacase too! That's classic IM lore!

Loved the final version of Whiplash with the armor and facemask- that unprotected head was an obvious liability.

The only downside- Justin Hammer was a bit goofy- in the comics, he's an evil, unflappable old man that's been making weapons since WWII and selling them to whoever can pay.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, hey, yeah, what happened after the credits? We didn't stay.

I got the impression in the movie that Hammer was indeed selling weapons to anyone who could pay, but it all sucked (re: man getting twisted in half *shudders again*).

And speaking of armor in a suitcase, I had to read "Iron Man: Extremis" for a class once. It featured this cool memory-metal version of the suit that could pop into shape, and each piece could float via repulsor technology and attach itself to Stark. Did that ever happen in the original comics? I never read comics growing up...

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically the post credit sequence went like this:

Coleson drives up to an embankment. He steps out, looks down the embankment and sees a work site with a large crater. He pulls out his phone, calls someone up (presumably Fury) and says "We found it." The camera then pulls to Thor's hammer sitting on top of a pile of dirt.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thor's hammer is at the center of the crater with a bunch of people milling around it- the vehicles all seem non-military (pickups and such).
There's a wacky panel or rectangular engraving of sorts on the side of the hammer which annoys the fanboy inside me- other than that it looks right.

In the comics, after Ragnarock, there is a huge thunderstorm in the desert and the hammer falls to earth- with none able to lift it- leading up to Thor's self-ressurection.

Someting odd is Fury saying the Avengers Initiave wants Iron man but NOT Tony Stark- they just want him around as a consultant.

I think we'll see Rhodey in the Avenger's movie (maybe even in the IM armor as a nod to comic's contunity) -until things hit the fan and then we'll get Tony in the IM armor to kick ass.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Loved the final version of Whiplash with the armor and facemask- that unprotected head was an obvious liability."

Actually, he did have a helmet, in his hubris his simply decided to open the helmet on his suit. Obvious mistake.

There were so many news articles around here panning the movie as one of the worse sequels they have seen. I disagree, it was bombastic entertainment, the scene with a Drunk Tony in the IM suit was over the top, but justifiable given his condition. It was worthwhile entertainment, and worth my $6 to see.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$6 !!! I need to move to Canada.

It's strange, I really enjoyed the movie throughout but still find I'm loathe to call it a "good" movie. I know I didn't like it as much as the last one. I think there were maybe some serious problems with tone and the Pepper arc, which I more or less completely overlooked because I was enjoying all of the performances and the imagery so much. I think maybe we didn't see Tony fall low enough or something--Oh hey, Sam Rockwell in a 70's suit and shades--ooh is that Cap's shield? -- pretty, blue holoscreen interface? *droools*

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Yes but that's six Canadian dollars, so I imagine it would still cost you your left testicle to get in. (Luckily, I have several friends who work at the movie theater who sneak me in free [Big Grin] )

I liked this one more than the last one primarily because the 'setup' of superhero movies (How They Got Their Powers and Sense of Moral Responsibility) is always very boring to me. I like it when you just start out with Iron Man already.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Yeah, I found this one very fast paced with a bunch of really great performances in supporting roles- Gary Shandling was great and so believable as a U.S. senator.

An easter egg orf sorts was pointed out to me- the end of IM2 takes place about halfway through The Hulk (the better second movie).
The scene at the end where Fury is talking with Stark shows "Live footage" on a news channel on one of the monitors of the Hulk tearing up that college campus.

Kinda odd but not bad- it adds a punch to the conversation between General Ross and Tony Stark at the end of The Hulk.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like the pacing in this one. I found there to be a lot of exposition spewing and humor bordering on slapstick that slowed the movie down. Also, Pepper and Romanov embodied two cliches I'm getting tired of in movies, the scaredy cat woman-in-refrigerator and the hot badass babe. But all in all, it was good.
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
saw it. it rawked. you wasn't kidding about how fucked up the guy-reversed shit was (no wonder Hammer couldn't get anymore test pilots)...

actually thought it was better than the 1st movie, even... [Big Grin]

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, must have blinked and missed that scene.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps