Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$$ LOST Series finale $$$

Author Topic: $$$ LOST Series finale $$$
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is almost sure to be filled with spoilers, so read at your peril.

I liked a bunch of stuff. I'm still not sure how satisfied I feel about this ending. Am curious if others have been watching. What did you think?

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok . . . sooooo what's the island about then?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read about the ending online: meh.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen a single episode of the show, but I've heard enough about it from my boss that I find myself curious to know how it all ends.

From what I've read, it almost sounds like none of it was ever real and that the whole thing was Jack's "vision" or whatever after the crash.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's all a bit Ashes to Ashes. Or Ashes to Ashes is all a bit Lost. Thinking about it Lost's ending was probably a mite more satisfactory.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's all a bit Ashes to Ashes. Or Ashes to Ashes is all a bit Lost."

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. Weird that they both had such similar conclusions only a couple days apart.

"From what I've read, it almost sounds like none of it was ever real and that the whole thing was Jack's 'vision' or whatever after the crash."

That's not even remotely true. In fact, they even took the time to (rather heavy-handedly) explicitly say that it was "real".

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Spoiler* Yeah, but doesn't it have something to do with them being in the afterlife? *Spoiler*
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I understood it right, the "alternate timeline" thread, the one where everyone's lives are different and the plane never crashed is the afterlife, or at lest a place without time where they could all gather after their respective deaths before moving on together. The island was real.

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

And people complained about the ending to Battlestar Galactica...
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched the finale on-line (for some reason). I actually cried. Particularly when Vincent came running up to him.

I agree that they intended the island part to be real and the people who were in the alternate timeline who weren't dead yet where those who died "long after" Jack did.

I guess I'm just confused as to why, after the series focused so famously on last-minute twists, revealed connections, and an implied larger design at work for them being on the island, the whole thing, in the end, boiled down to Jack going to Heaven. I mean... did they ever really answer anything?

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They answered a large number of things, yes.
http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Mysteries

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

The thing is, they answered all the questions that nobody really cared about. We still don't really know what the island is beside some metaphor of a cork keeping evil from escaping. We don't know what the light really was (aside from "bright, yellow and electro-magnetic") who put it there and how "mother" got to be the guardian before Jacob.

Sure you can say it's Atlantis, Eden, the entrance to Hades or a very large Pandora's box but it's never addressed or explored in any meaningful way.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

That's kind of what I mean. Why were they there? Was it solely so Jacob could choose a replacement for himself?

I've semi-decided to by the whole series on DVD as my next entertainment investment. It looks very cool.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"We still don't really know what the island is beside some metaphor of a cork keeping evil from escaping. We don't know what the light really was (aside from 'bright, yellow and electro-magnetic') who put it there..."

I suspect that any answers they might have come up with to those questions would have felt unsatisfactory. We all would have said "Six years of build-up, and the island turns out to be that? Seriously?"

We should just assume that the island light was the same thing that was in Marcellus Wallace's briefcase, and leave it at that.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been waiting for someone to make that joke for two weeks now.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps