Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » $$ DW 5x07 Amy's Choice $$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ DW 5x07 Amy's Choice $$
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any thoughts? Thought it was a good episode. I preferred it over the Vampire ep.

I'm an episode behind at the moment.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admit my knowledge of Who continuity is extremely vague, wasn't there already an "evil Doctor" type character? Not that I mind, it was fun seeing what the Doctor actually thinks of himself.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, "Only one person could hate me as much as you do." (Which made me think it was the Master until the reveal.)
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't mean the Master (though that line made him cross my mind too) I meant that I vaguely recall there already being some type of "evil Doctor" manifestation like this Dream Lord. Not another Time Lord that happens to be a nutter, but something specifically created from or by the Doctor. I want to say it was a Pertwee story but I can't be certain.

For the record I'm glad it wasn't the Master. It's far too soon for him to crop up again. Indeed, I'd have rather they not have featured the Daleks this series either.
Wouldn't mind seeing the proper Cybermen though. That is, the ones from this universe.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could be thinking of the Valeyard, the personification of all that is evil in the Doctor that exists somewhere between his 12th and 13th incarnation.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Valeyard

No, it doesn't really make much sense, to be honest. Anyway, good episode. I liked that both realities were fake, Rory is a good character (and very different from Mickey, which I worried was a character arc they were going to repeat).

I do think it's wrong though when the Doctor drives a car. He just shouldn't do that.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't he ever drive before? When he was working for UNIT? Like a jeep or something? Maybe he was just riding in one, but I have a vague memory...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bessie doesn't count. I mean when he gets in a normal, every day vehicle. The Tenth Doctor did it a couple of times (after the Master took over the Earth, for isntance), and the Forth Doctor did it at least once.

It's just... he shouldn't be seen in such an ordinary, boring form of travel It's wrong.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well, he uses shoes to travel all the time (often at high speed) and they're about as ordinary as anything else. [Wink]

Seriously though I rather think part of the whole appeal of the Doctor is the combination of the ordinary and the bizarre. The phone box is pretty synonymous now of course, but back in the 60's when it all started those things were a pretty common sight in London, which was the whole point. Then you have his various outfits over the years which are usually a mix of the ordinary with a slightly eccentric twist (rather less than slight in the case of the bloke between Davidson & McCoy who's name escapes me.)

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's just... he shouldn't be seen in such an ordinary, boring form of travel It's wrong."

You'd prefer maybe the Whomobile?

Reverend : Colin Baker is the name you're looking for.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

"Then you have his various outfits over the years which are usually a mix of the ordinary with a slightly eccentric twist"

That's why Bessie was okay. A car, but an eccentric one. Stick him in a Ford Focus though and it would be all wrong. Reverend mentions shoes, and the ones worn by the 10th and 11th Doctors would probably come under the "ordinary but a touch eccentic" banner.

The Whomobile though was all wrong, in that it wasn't ordinary. It was just silly sci-fi. Same with Colin Baker's costume (and Davison's too, to an extent). They were too far into silly land.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly, the Doctor shouldn't own a Ford Focus. But, if he needs to get somewhere, and that's what's available, having him drive one for a couple minutes doesn't seem like a problem.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I can't explain why I see it as wrong, but I do. It might be the mundane stuff that goes with car driving. To get the Tardis going he runs around like a madman. Driving a car involves putting a seatbelt on and making sure you check your mirrors before reversing. That just seems... wrong.

Note that I have no issues with buses or trains.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

What if the car is an old junker with the parking brake on that needs six drivers? [Wink]
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I didn't buy that handbrake line. Lots of other TARDISes make that noise, so unless all the other Time Lords are also bad drivers...

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't be bothered starting a new thread for this but - in the second Angels episode... Did anyone notice a little interesting segment.

Possible Spoilers $$$$$

$$

$$

$$

There's a bit just after when The Doctor and River leave Amy alone in the Forest. Then the Doctor comes up to her and tells her to start trusting her and he also gets her to try and remember what he told her when she was a little girl... Notice that he had lost his coat to the Angels and wasn't wearing it then in that scene you can just see that he's wearing it again. I may have read somewhere where someone speculated that that was the Doctor from the future and he's crossing his own timeline.

I can't remember but after I realised that and watched it again - it's SO COOL! - that there was something 'planted' in the first episode too. I think he might have gone back one more time to see Amy in the past. There was a scene (my memory is a bit foggy) where who ever says something about time since he last visited - Amy or the Doctor - it just doesn't add up. Looks like some exciting things are afoot, in the future! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps