Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Babylon 5

Author Topic: Babylon 5
95munrocc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just been proving at the "star trek Armada" forum that B5 is better than star trek. (much to the displeaser of Monk) I was just wondering what this forums opiuon of B5 was?

------------------

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In general, our opinion is that Babylon was a pretty swinging place, but after the third rebuild the Mesopotamians just lost their flair for the dramatic. Also, we agree that the Hanging Gardens kicked the ass of every other garden in the ancient world, hanging or otherwise.

On a more serious note, we discourage this sort of antagonistic comparison.

Welcome to Flare.

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like both Trek and B5...but I like B5 more. Sol is correct, however...we want to avoid any fighting or antagonism here.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"People don't mind if you speak a subset of a natural language, especially if you are a child or a foreigner. (Except in Paris, of course.)" - Larry Wall

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited April 05, 2000).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And there is no "proving", everything's subjective.
But you knew that.

------------------
-At least I can get it up without biomechanical pumps.
-Try falling into a pit of lava, Moffy. Then see how horny you feel.

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited April 06, 2000).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B5 is missing technobabble and a long history like TOS,TNG,DS9 and VOY
B5, OTOH, has got better stories and effects.

Is it just me orr does DS9 look a lot like B5?
-Both a space station
-Continuity (quite non-Trek)
-Wars (quite non-Trek as well)

------------------
"When You're Up to Your Ass in Alligators, Today Is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life."
-- Management slogan, Ridcully-style (Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent, Discworld)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

95munrocc
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never intended to start a fight (i have to much of that at the star trek armada forum) i just wanted to find out what this forum thinks about the big green garden.
Yes they are quite similar but that is not due to copying each offer its just a BIG coincidence

[This message has been edited by 95munrocc (edited April 06, 2000).]

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technobabble is more of a disadvantage, I would imagine.

I once did a comparison of the similarities of B5 and DS9...I'll see if I can dig it up. BTW, JMS proposed B5 to Paramount a few years before either came out...I don't know if that's significant, though.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"People don't mind if you speak a subset of a natural language, especially if you are a child or a foreigner. (Except in Paris, of course.)" - Larry Wall

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the most disturbing connection!

JMS equals DS9! How? There's already an S in it! Plus, J is the tenth letter of the alphabet, and one minus ten is nine. And when you add a D to the M, you get MD. Someone "doctoring" the script, perhaps?

You heard it here first!

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Most of these are coincidences, of course...

Star Trek Babylon 5
--------- ---------

Space station Deep Space 9 Space station Babylon 5
lies at the entrance to a lies at the entrance to a
wormhole, essential for jumpgate, essential for
long-distance travel. long-distance travel.

Commander Sisko was one of Commander Sinclair was one of
the few survivors of the the few survivors of the
Battle of Wolf 359. Battle of the Line.

The chief of security, a The chief of security, a
changeling, gradually takes human, gradually loses his
on human characteristics. hair.

A high-ranking officer, A high-ranking officer,
played by Robert Foxworth, played by Robert Foxworth,
tries to overthrow Earth's tries to overthrow Earth's
government. government.

The ships keep The ships keep
changing sizes. changing sizes.

Battles are often won Battles are often won
with diplomacy. with thermonuclear weapons.

The bad guys use ships The bad guys use ships
shaped like beetles. shaped like spiders.

Bajor was once occupied Narn was once occupied
by the Cardassians, but by the Centauri, but the
the native Bajorans native Narns eventually
eventually drove the drove the Centauri away.
Cardassians away.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited April 06, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I think you're on to something. Probably paint thinner.

------------------
--
Camper Van Beethoven

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, I love B5. If you can, get all the tapes, and get someone to watch it form end to end. They'll start season 1 saying "do I have to watch another one", at which point you must strap them down. They'll perk up a bit with Babylon Squared. Then when you get to Crysalis, they'll ask for the next ep immedietly. This trend will continue, untilt hey make you watch the last quater of season 3all in one go. At which point, after Johnny boy takes a big jump of a small cliff, they'll be BEGGING for the next tape. Which you withhold for a week. Bwahahaha!.

Then they'll watch season 4, and love it too.
Then it all goes a bit pear-shaped. Still, nice ending.

BTW, did someone mention that B5 had better SFX than Trek? Er, I was gonna come up with a good argument contrasting "Into the Fire" with "Sacrifice of Angels", but I'll just say, bollocks it has.

------------------
"Sometimes I wish the planet would be scoured with cleansing fire. Other times I just wish Frank would be."
Sol System

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps