Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » X-Men: The Movie (Major $$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: X-Men: The Movie (Major $$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back from seeing the X-Men movie. Spectacular. Absolutely spectacular.

Just a few spoiler comments:

1) Well, after all this time, we actually have a real first name for Rogue: Marie.

2) The future Iceman is a minor character, and Shadowcat has a cameo.

3) Stan Lee as a hot dog vendor... Need I say more?

4) Gee... You think they meant to set up a sequel?

------------------
"Oh my god... If I have to listen to Pokemon sing in Danish, I'm going to cry..."

- My sister, 7/7/00

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much screentime did Jubilee and Colossus get?

Was Beast even in the movie?

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I heard, none of them were in it. Of course, the lack of Jubilee is necessary. If this is set when Wolverine is just joining up and Rogue is a teenager, Jubilee wouldn't be around yet.

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw X-Men on Friday and it was great in my opinion.

Yes there will be a sequel, and with more of the X-Men that got left out in this one. Gambit was originally a major character in the movie but was dropped so I think it's a safe bet to see him in X2.

I think what's great about this movie is that you don't need to of read X-Men to understand it. Sure it helps in recognizing some of the subtle elements and in-jokes.

As for other mutants:
The kid playing basketball was Quicksilver I believe.
Iceman had a couple lines.
Pyro was the one who made that fireball (though in the comics he's a bad guy).
Jubilee was in there, she was the one that sent that orange sparkly dust.
Shadowcat aka Kitty Pryde I think was the girl who passed through the door.

I've got a magazine with X-Men pics, it even shows scenes cut out of the movie.

------------------
"Cenus volunteers injured in the line of duty, sadly no one knows how many."
- The Daily Show.
Federation Starship Datalink - New and improved Starship Database!

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited July 15, 2000).]

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the hints for a sequel were about as subtle as a brick to the head...

That being my only gripe, I really enjoyed it. I would really love to see Beast in there too.

------------------
"The lies I told are not falsehoods according to my definition of truth." Bill Clinton
"All stupid people are liberals, because they don't know any better." Rob Rodehorst
"Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups" - Dilbert, Scott Adams

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was a great movie! I'm not even familiar with any of the existing X-Men stuff, either...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Frank is absolutely right." - Laz Rojas

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this movie today, too. I'm a bit familiar with X-Men through the cartoon series a few years back, and the movie was awesome! Hugh Jackman was a GREAT Wolverine. He just so looks the part. I liked Rogue a lot, too. And need I mention Patrick Stewart? They shaved him ALL the way and I didn't even notice it until halfway through the movie. The casting in this movie is quite inarguable, really. When I saw Magneto in the commercials, I thought he didn't match the cartoon version. But during the movie, I just kept thinking, "he IS Magneto." And he looked totally cool, like something out of the Matrix, when he flew above the Statue of Liberty near the climax.

One small gripe though: In the museum fight scene, the X-Men were too obviously holding back for the sake of suspense. When Storm was fighting Toad before she got pushed down the elevator shaft, she did practically nothing to fight back. Neither did Jean, I think. And THEN when they all were separated and seemingly defeated, they start using their powers. It's a technique of story-craft, I know, but that was too blunt for comfort.

------------------
"One more day before the storm
At the barricades of freedom!
When our ranks begin to form
Will you take your place with me?"
--Enjolras, "One Day More," Les Miserables

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw it, and I picked up alot of the inside stuff although I've not touched an X-Men comic in years.

They weren't subtle about a sequel, no, but they definately could've been worse.

I think the plot was shaky in parts, and how they chopped the comic storyline was stupid in some aspects [ie they made Rogue and Jubilee basically the same person with Rogue's attraction to Wolvie] and how offset alot of the character ages are.
I thought Cyclops and Jean would be older, and Rogue at least another 5 years as well.
Iceman and Quicksilver [who was familar but I couldn't place til now] were good inserts, and Shadowcat was a obvious one straight out. I missed the Jubilee fireworks at first, but come to think of it, that was her.
Some of the origins are mucked too. Wolvie and Sabertooth had history long before the X-Men team[s] was [were] created. Rogue should've absorbed Ms. Marvel's powers somewhere early on in the show and had to deal with those after effects, as well as Mystique.
Magento's history was done nicely at least although he and X's history should've been a little more discussed.
Overall, I would watch it again and I do look forward to seeing the next two [scheduled] sequels that are supposed to happen.

Who wants to see Archangel, Beast, Gambit, Bishop and Colossus in the next few films?

------------------
Cute, cuddly, widdle teddy bears usually will eat you alive unless you can prove you're a god.

Ex-Admin at the TrekBBS.com

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the few things I specifically remember from the cartoon on TV was that Jubilee joined up in the first episode, and everyone else was already around. So, how could she be in there if Wolverine is just getting there, and Rogue is still a kid?!

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Internet movie database lists Colossus as being in this movie...

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't recall seeing him.

And, according to the comic series, there was Angel [I forget his exact name before being Archangel], Beast, Jean Grey, Cyclops, Iceman and the Professor.
Later the others came along, the "second gen" as it were who joined.
Wolverine, Rogue, Gambit, Coloussus, etc.
Jubilee would be a "3rd gen" who joined up later on after that era.

The first generation was from the X-Men's start through sometime in the early-mid 80's and the second gen from there through the late 80's early 90's where Jubilee came in. There's a 4th gen, sort of, but I don't read the comics anymore.

All of this is how I see it, but it's the best way to describe it.

------------------
Cute, cuddly, widdle teddy bears usually will eat you alive unless you can prove you're a god.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was reading the comics, it was Scott (Cyclops), Jean, Angel, and I've been trying to remember the forth. Anybody?

I liked the movie, although, I think they needed to us Cy, Storm and Jean more. Logan stole the show, I loved the bar scene. I too, thought Scott Summers and Jean Grey should have been a good bit older.

Ian McKellen, Gandalf in "Lord of the Rings" was great!!

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

[This message has been edited by Kosh (edited July 24, 2000).]

Teelie
Member # 280

That'd be Beast.

------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Iceman too.
I think that they managed to stay pretty close to the comics. Chronology was played around with quite a bit but that didn't bug me at all- it was true to the spirit of the comics and didn'ty needlessly change things that didn't need changing.
Someone mentioned that the Rogue/Wolvie relationship was like the Wolvie/Jubilee relationship in the comics. Well the wolvie and jubilee friendship was exactly like his friendship with Kitty Pride years earlier. So even though he never really had that kind of friendship with Rogue, it is true to the comics in that Wolvie likes to "bond" with young girls.
I also really liked the sense of history that was created. Many movie adaptions go for the "team just formed" approach. But here there is a feeling that the X-men have been around for 10-20 years (depending on whether you judge Cyclops and Jean's ages by that of James Marsden or Famke Jansen)this means that they could bring in ex-members in future movies and such.
TLE: Famke Jansen is 36, how old did you think Jean would be?

[This message has been edited by Obi Juan (edited July 25, 2000).]

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I collected X-Men until a year or so ago. I can tell you Cyclops, Jean, Beast, Iceman, and (Arch)Angel should be he oldest, but in comics ages aren't really discussed either. For the sake of being big, strong, athletic superheroes, Scott and Jean should have been no older than 30. Wolverine (last I read, I think they finaaly told his origin story) is anywhere from 30 to 80 in the comics. His healing factor was supposed to keep him young. Hints were dropped in X-Men #4 (91 or 92) that Professor X is supposed to one of the people that knows the most about Wolverine.

Being a former fanboy, I wish they had gotten the ages right and used the right characters at the right times. I had the same problem with the Fox cartoon though.

------------------
If you don't believe in what I say or the God I speak of I guess you'll just have to meet me so the Lord and I can convert you.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps