Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » "Heavy Metal", oldest illustrated fantasy magazine in U.S. history?

Author Topic: "Heavy Metal", oldest illustrated fantasy magazine in U.S. history?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Relax, I'm not disputing that!

I recently downloaded the demo-version of the new computer-game "Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.2". It's a 3d-action/fantasy game made from the Quake3 game-engine, but in the perspective of Tomb Raider (3rd person).

A fabulous game, I don't mind telling you, with a good plot and refreshing levels compared to all the military-complexes and alien-nests of other games.

It has a lovely balance between your weapons/stamina and that of the enemy's. That is, with a little skill you can off a foe rather flawless, but slip up once or twice and it'll be you hanging from someone's belt. The tables turn quickly, just the way it should be. In Outcast (another nice 3d-action title) you could fight a long time without fear of being mortally wounded.

Strangely enough, I've never heard of dito magazine, so I thought I'd talk to you guys, since the homepage of the heavy-metal magazine didn't answer all my questions.
First of all, what does the letters in the heroine's name (fakk2) mean?

Second, I heard about a movie coming up, based on the comic. They had picked some playboy-model for the leading role (hmm). Any info on that?

Third, I seem to remember a game before this, with the same name. Isn't this new game a sequel to something?

I'll add more as we progress.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A Playboy model?" HA!

My boy...say hello to the gorgeous ever-lickable Julie Strain...

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes! Not someone I'd want to run into in a dark alley...

Has anyone here ever seen the original Heavy Metal movie? If you haven't, don't. :-)

------------------
"They might be the infamous buzzard collectors for what we know, grabbing hapless space avians so that they don't end up as smears in the windshield."
-Timo Saloniemi, 16-Aug-2000

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They actually put that stuff in the IMDB?

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why wouldn't they?

------------------
"We have HTML and images in sigs disabled here. Don't try it. If you do, I'll shove the image up your ass, then ban you. Have a nice day. :)"
-Charles Capps, August 13, 2000

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well waddaya know, it's already done! Heavy Metal 2000, with that Julie-thing and Monsieur Ironside and Billy Idol...

Hmm, imdb says it's canadian/german (lexx?) and is 88 minutes long. Sounds like your average crappy sci-fi/action to me.
Have you noticed how those have popped up like mushrooms in the latest 5 years? Like "Soldier", "7:th Dimension", or anything from Van Damme or Dolph.

Anyway, is this movie in the cinemas in the US yet, or will it go directly to the video-store? Good timing, if nothing else, what with the game having gone "gold" about two weeks ago.

And could someone take a stab at my previous questions?

------------------
How dare you, Dangerboy?

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited August 17, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The plot summary from IMDb:

F.A.K.K. (Federation-Assigned Ketogenic Killzone) represents an extreme biohazard. F.A.K.K.� is the same, only worse. It is also the name given to an entire planet, to keep its secrets hidden. The world is home to Julie, who assumes the name F.A.K.K.� when her paradise world is threatened by outsiders and her sister is abducted.

------------------
"They might be the infamous buzzard collectors for what we know, grabbing hapless space avians so that they don't end up as smears in the windshield."
-Timo Saloniemi, 16-Aug-2000

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! Lexx isn't crappy!

------------------
"We have HTML and images in sigs disabled here. Don't try it. If you do, I'll shove the image up your ass, then ban you. Have a nice day. :)"
-Charles Capps, August 13, 2000

Nim
Member # 205

Grr!!! Fabrux, now I have to edit my post!
It was more of a joke, Fab, whenever I see "german/canadian" in print I think Lexx. I like Lexx, especially the first movie.
It's a pity the Brunnen-G song is so short, they could've made something out of that.

Timo: AAHAAAAH!!! I thought they'd been good'n clever on that there abbreviation.
Well, the movie will be intersting, especially if it stays close to the sceneries and weapons of the game, or vice versa, whichever came first!

Well, you can skip the last question. I think I confused the similar game-titles "Heavy Metal" and "Heavy Gear I&II", so that's that.

Oh, one more question. Do any of you read the comic, or see enough of it to give a description?
From what the homepage said, it's very carefully and professionally drawn, and since there're so many battles and melee I guess there's more blood in it than in Marvel.
Do they swear more realistically too (i.e no "dumb-butt" or "gonna kick your fanny")?

------------------
How dare you, Dangerboy?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL...you'd be surprised how many people understand "Lexx" when you tell them its origins.

The Harpies & I watched the 4 movies last week...April says, "OK, this is REALLY fucking bizarre..." I replied, "Well, it's a German-Canadian joint venture. so.."

She said, "Oh. That explains it, then."

And yeah, I would LOVE a WAV of that Brunen G battle song.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Nim
Member # 205

So, has the movie gone up in the states?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps