Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » La Femme Nikita

Author Topic: La Femme Nikita
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not really a sci-fi show, but then again there's no place else to put it.

The only other person I know at the forums that enjoys this series as much as myself is Jubilee. It's a great show, and one of the most popular in ratings on cable tv and certainly gets the highest ratings on USA Network.

Those that also like La Femme Nikita already know that it's been cancelled. On network tv like NBC, ABC, or CBS I'd expect since these days they favor cop, lawyer and doctor series leaving everything else expendable. On E! Nikita was number one show polled that fans wished to save. Click here for more information.

quote:
'NIKITA' SAVED?
The many loyal fans of USA Network's cancelled LA FEMME NIKITA are making progress with their efforts to get their show back... The group has learned, and DAILY VARIETY has since confirmed, that USA is again in talks with WB Television about bringing back the series, though it may be revamped with Peta Wilson getting a whole new supporting cast. NIKITA, meanwhile, continues to come to top the cable ratings for its Sunday night time slot. For the latest efforts and what you can do to help them, check the SAFE LFN website. http://www.savelfn.org http://www.variety.com http://www.usanetwork.com
-ZENtertainment #418

So any fans might want to check it out. For those wanting to see a Star Trek Section 31 series this is probably the closest you'll get, unless that's what series V turns out to be.

------------------
Daniel: "Senator, we have reason to believe the Goa'uld are about to attack."
Kinsey: "Then I think they'll regret taking on the United States military!"
Daniel: "Oh, you're right. We'll just upload a virus into the mother ship."
This post sponsered in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rest assured Hobbes, you are not the only chap that loves LFN. I have been watching since season two and think it is one of the best series on TV. Hell, I dress in a black suit and v-neck practically everyday

I am having a friend of mine tape the 3-part series finale for me and there are still several eps of the fourth season I have not seen as yet.
$
$
$
Can you tell me what the deal was with Burkoff's twin brother? I never saw those eps...

Anyway, the problem with bringing the show back is that they are doing a SERIES FINALE. My guess is that it involves Nikita getting out, but Section itself will stay up and running. One woman bringing down Section wouldn't be all that believeable. This presents a problem if they want to bring the show back. The only way I could see to do it would be to keep most of the supporting cast but introduce a new lead. It would be a new female agent and love interest for Michael (possibly with a code name of 'Nikita'). The show's title could be "La Femme Nikita: Section 1" or something. Basically, it'd be what happens in Section after Nikita escapes and is presumed dead by all except Michael of course. This would leave the field wide open for cameos by by Peta Wilson, though too many of these would not be advisable if the show is no longer about her.

This all just my speculation. I haven't even seen part one of the finale yet. But let's talk Nikita. I don't know too many other people who like the show either.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I love the show also, however my favourite is operations himself. He�s kinda cool in my book.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$$$$

When Birkoff was hacked into his own classified files he learned about his twin brother. His brother, Jason, was let out of Section while Birkoff remained in. The project was to see how essentially the same person would develop, one in Section, and the other free. Birkoff found Jason who owned a computer company.

Birkoff created a type of artifical intelligence which was suppose to simply perform his own duties if he was away. What he didn't expect was it'd start acting on its own. When Birkoff tried to shut it down it reactivated itself, and then proceeded to start Section 1's auto-destruct sequence locking everyone in and allowing Birkoff to escape. It's relized that the AI is connected to Birkoff, and the only way to stop it, is to disconnect it from him (ie kill Birkoff). So in order to save everyone, Birkoff electrocuted himself thus stopping the AI and saving everyone else.

Jason wonders why he hasn't heard from Birkoff get worried. His girlfriend convinces him to go to on a trip. She drugs Jason, two Section operatives bring in a dead body that looks just like him, and takes Jason to Section's headquarters. Jason is trained to replace Birkoff, who was to be transferred to Center. Center is the leader of everything, Section 1 and Oversight. In last Sunday's episode Jason gets his vision messed up so he has to wear Birkoff-style glasses, his haircut, and his voice changed getting rid of his accent.

Nikita is not planning to bring down Section. In the first part to next weeks final 2-hour episode she does get out. With the help of the new Red Cell leader, he removes her tracking chip, and gives her a contact lense copy of Micheal's iris Level-5 access, and a CD that will delete her files. The contact lense is so she can use Micheal's access to get into the data room. Micheal, who just escaped from Red Cell after Nikita turned him over is shown a sim in which Nikita will kill him. What he's not shown is the other possibility where Nikita asks him to come with her. Nikita, already out of Section, gets plastic surgery. The episode ends with Micheal waiting for Nikita.

That's about it Aban.

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is Birkoff dead, then? Seymore I mean? Or was it just a fake death to throw the AI off? I guess I didn't quite follow your explanation. Did Jason actually replace him as part of the team?

While I don't really want to know too much about how the series will end just yet, you're saying that the series will end with a different actress playing Nikita (cause of the plastic surgery) and with Michael waiting for her, not knowing whether she's going to kill him or take him with her? That ending sounds about right for LFN's mood but it's a little to open-ended. I had pictured Walter and Nikita getting out, with Section believing them to be dead. Michael stays in and must live in Section knowing he can never see Nikita again, but also knowing that she is alive and free. That is the hope that would continue to sustain him. Either that or Michael dies while freeing Nikita. I don't think the mood of the show, which to me is sort of "survival by mental strength in the midst of unhappiness" would be served if Michael and Nikita escape and end up together and everything turns out dandy in the end. It never has before, why should it now?

And what about some of the issues that have been brought up over the years, like Nikita being recruited on purpose, the cloning experiments Section was running on her, and the realization that Operations may be her father. Have they done anything more with that? That's one of the things that I have a little trouble with when it comes to LFN: they come up with these great conspiracy-type ideas, but than never go anywhere with them.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited August 22, 2000).]

Hobbes
Member # 138

quote:
Aban Rune...
So is Birkoff dead, then? Seymore I mean? Did Jason actually replace him as part of the team?

Yes, Seymore Birkoff is dead. Jason Crawford was then kidnapped by Section 1 to replace his twin brother.

Section 1 is the top section ran by Operations, with Section 2, 3, 4 etc below it. Oversight, ran by George, is above Section 1 and Operations. Above Oversight, and at the very top in command is Center ran by Mr. Jones. Operations is looking to replace George in Oversight, which means he needs to look good for Center. Mr. Jones requested that Birkoff come work for Center, not knowing he's dead. Thus enter why Operations had Jason kidnapped and faked his death.

quote:
While I don't really want to know too much about how the series will end just yet, you're saying that...

No, I have no idea how it ends yet either. The finale airs August 27th. The one I'm talking about was August 20th's episode. Nikita gets surgery, but we don't see her new look. Micheal is only shown the alternate sim in which Nikita will kill him, not where she offers him a CD to erase his files and asks him to come with her.

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Wow, poor Birkoff. Does the rest of the team know that it's his twin now instead of Seymore? Did they have a funeral or show any signs that they miss him or anything? I would expect that Walter would be especially emotional about the whole thing. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see these eps when they are rerun assuming USA continues to run some reruns for awhile.

I watched the trailer for the final episode on the official site. It just shows the doctor about to remove the mask. I bet she gets up and looks like Madeline

Will the final two hours be shown on the 27th or will it be one hour on the 27th and then one hour the week after that?

Thanks for clarifying all this for me. It'll help understand the final. Anything else happened in the last 6 or 7 eps that might be pertinent?

------------------

Hobbes
Member # 138

Yes they know it's Jason and not Birkoff since they watch him sacrifice himself to save everyone else.

The finale will air both episodes on the 27th starting at 8PM EST.

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Thanks. You da Man.

------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just found this.

------------------
"Wise Papa Smurf... Corrupted by his own power! Can no leader go untainted?!?!"

-Thundarr the Barbarian, Cartoon Network Commercial

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*reminds the Yanks that Nikita's actually a Canadian show (Baton/CTV, IIRC), shown stateside by USA Network.*

Even if USA had decided to drop it, I'm surprised that would have affected production. It doesn't strike me as an especially high budget series, and probably could have done a year even if it was only being shown on CTV and whatever US stations would pick it up in syndication.

I'm a huge fan of the original French film, actually. Gotta love Victor the Cleaner, even before his lookalike friend Leon met Ms. Portman.

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Hobbes
Member # 138

I see Nikita as an acquired taste. I didn't like it right away. But now it's one of my favorite shows on TV. That and Stargate SG-1.

But I'm glad it's coming back, sort of. At least to pick up where the last episode left off.

As far as being a low-budget show. I tend to disagree. They have a lot of cool technology, and the special effects aren't bad in my opinion.

$$$$

quote:
The new episodes will bring back regular cast members Peta Wilson (Nikita), Roy Dupuis (Michael), Eugene Robert Glazer (Operations), Alberta Watson (Madeleine), Don Francks (Walter) and Matthew Ferguson (Jason Crawford).

One thing, Madeleine is dead. Walter is out of Section, now a teacher at Section 1's training facility. Micheal... well I'm not sure. And Operations will remain at Section for another 7 years. Nikita has been an operative working for Center working in Section secretly. Jason is also working in Center.

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Ahh, ahhhh!! I read too far. Haven't seen the tape yet. Why does that article say it was a four-hour season finale? I thought there were only three episodes in the finale arc.

Only eight eps in the next season, eh. It'll be kind of like a mini-series. With only some of the characters appearing in each ep, though, it should give them more of an opportunity to develop each aspect of the arc.

Should be interesting.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps