Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Sci-Fi & Anime (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sci-Fi & Anime
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just curious...how many people here are also raving otaku?

While I'm not as loony as some of the people I met a month ago at Otakon, I am a fan. I love a lot of the sci-fi stuff, with "Evangelion" & "Cowboy Bebop" at the top of my list. I grew up on "Yamato" & "Macross," both the real & the bastardized American versions & I love some of the stuffthat's even "fringy sci-fi," like "Tenchi." Recently, my crush (yeah, 25 & I'm crushin' hard on someone....sad, really) has been crash-coursing me in bishonen.

Oh, yeah...if CC ever decides t'open an anime forum here, I call dibs on the moderator post!

------------------
"There are three things I HATE, Jet: kids..pets..& women with attitudes. So WHY do we have all THREE on BOARD?!?"--Spike Spiegel

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voltron was cool, but that about covers it for me... :-)

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there's alot of it, too much for it to be just one genre like it is. There's all those little sub-genre's. Yeah, I like it but no nut either.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hai

Tenchi (2nd series,mainly, don't much care for Tenchi in Tokyo storyline)

Key the Metal Idol

Evangelion (what the hell happened in those last two episodes-- Jeez, I thought "The Prisoner" got weird!)

seen bits and pieces of many others: fixed feelings.

Still love "Akira," and consider "Ghost in the Shell" to be one of the greatest movies ever made.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone ever heard of an anime called City Hunter? It's a very funny (but kinda perverted) show.

My brother also brought home "Cat Girl Nuku Nuku", with English subtitles of course. Very Funny.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Savar
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as anime goes, my vote for greatest of all is Ninja Scroll. I've seen Crying Freeman, Ghost in the Shell, and many others, but nothing comes close to the story and action found in Ninja Scroll.
IP: Logged
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually don't like anime, but I really enjoyed Iria: Zeiram the Animation. I saw it on one of those anime things they have on the sci-fi channel.

------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"

Mythril
Member # 286

- posted      Profile for Mythril     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer the occult sci-fi anime, and some hentai titles.

------------------
I do not suffer from insanity.
I ENJOY EVERY SINGLE MINUTE OF IT.

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do they show Evangelion on any channel or do you have to buy the videos to see them?

I like Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, Sakura Wars, Doraemon, Pokemon, Digimon, and Card Captors. I don't like getting into a series if I can't access it on a regular basis though.

------------------
"Poetic souls delight in prose insane."
--Lord Byron

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, doll...EVA's only on video & DVD. There's no way in HELL any network would show it. Well, maybe HBO ro Showtime or something, but...

------------------
"There are three things I HATE, Jet: kids..pets..& women with attitudes. So WHY do we have all THREE on BOARD?!?"--Spike Spiegel

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ninja Scroll is a great, but sometimes disgusting movie.

Also, there is Macross Plus. It's supposed to revolve around the Macross series, but the battles and the war have been put behind in favour of a love triangle. And it works.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught "Evangelion" on KTEH (channel 54) out of San Jose--- it's a Silicon Valley PBS station which runs "Science Fiction Night" on Sunday...

and begs accordingly from the SF fans to keep Science Fiction Night.

"Evangelion" only ran once. "Tenchi Muyo" (2nd Series) played twice a couple of years ago. We got "Key the Metal Idol" twice, and "Those Obnoxious Aliens."

When they really want pledges, they play "Bubble Gum Crisis."

Now we're getting "Please Save My Earth," "Space Island One," and the PBS standard "Doctor Who."

and yeah, there's no way in heck that "Evangelion" will ever see the light of day on Cartoon Network or the average local station. T&A, violence, and bizarre metaphysics: not really a great venue for breakfast cereal and toy commercials.

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On TV I like Escaflownee.

Has anyone seen any Street Fighter anime (english)

PS any one a fan of fighting games if so i would like to hear from y'all

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught an episode of Tenchi Muyo on Cartoon Network last weekend. I loved it! I know Ryo Oki from a friend who had a really cute stuffed animal of it, but I didn't know it was from this.

------------------
"Poetic souls delight in prose insane."
--Lord Byron

Shik
Member # 343

It IS a fun little romp, tain't it, Tora? Those little Ryo-Ohkis were rare, rare, rare for a while--managed t'get MY hands on one, though. Now that Cartoon Network is showing it (albeit severely slashed), they're being made again by a second company...but mine's one of the original Pioneer ones.

Heh...one day, I should post the pictures from Otakon, including the guy who dressed up as a cabbit.

------------------
"What if, the next time someone tried to pull up a dandelion, it pulled back? What if the dandelion ducked under the blades of the lawnmower?" --Del

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps