Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Whatcha readin'?

Author Topic: Whatcha readin'?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost cause perhaps, but I picked up a softcover copy of Cryptonomicon the other day and am currently halfway through A Deepness In The Sky.

Any thoughts? Non-spoilered, of course.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cryptonomicon is long. It gets boring at times, but it's pretty good overall. I didn't fully understand the ending, though...

------------------
Teal'c: "I am a traitor to no-one."
Jaffa woman: "Except your god!"
Teal'c: "False god! Dead false god..."
-Stargate: SG-1, "Into the Fire"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are we reading??

Well I've got a few books going at the moment...

I finally got the DS9 Compedium... which I am reading like any Trek book... opening at any page and reading.

As for paperbacks...

"Ice Henge" by Kim Stanley Robinson
"An Anthropologist on Mars" by Oliver Sacks.

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Endings are apparently anathema to Stephenson.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm working on "Dune: House Atreides" and soon dito: House Harkonnen. Also, some shortstories by Mark Helprin.
And a shitload of mixed but sorted marvel-comics my brother let's me borrow when I'm ill. Last night I read some oldies, when Magneto ripped the adamantium from poor Wolvie's skeleton. That was low.

I WAS thinking of loaning "Finnegans Wake" soon, but I can't decide whether I want to stay sane or not.

------------------
Don't forget, I faked all the orgasms.

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read Peter F. Hamilton's "The Reality Dysfunction" recently, story elements and characters make it a good read.
Reading Iain M. Banks' "Against a Dark Background". Fairly good so far, but not the best of his sci-fi books.
Just finished David Gemmell's "Druss the Legend", a good hearty fantasy novel.Lots of swords, lots of gore, lots of tavern wenches.

------------------
"Unleash the armageddon,
So all the children go to heaven"

"Blue Skies Bring Tears"-The Smashing Pumpkins.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, most recently I read Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell. Freaky book.

------------------
"Incest! A game the whole family can play!"
-Jonah Rapp

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmm, reading through Xenocide and Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card. Its a continuation of the Ender's Game story.
Seems to be ok so far, not marvellous.... but even mediocre Card is worth reading

------------------
Efficiency is a highly developed form of laziness. - anon (...and boy am I efficient...)
A real diplomat is one who can cut his neighbour�s throat without having his neighbour notice it. � Trygve Lie

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't bought a new book since...um...uh....hmm. Oh! Since "Atlantis Found" by Clive Cussler.

I'm currently on the waiting list at the library for his new one, "Blue Gold." Other than that, I just reread all my old books & I'm STILL trudging through my collection of essays on "Sovereignity and Security in the Arctic."

------------------
"Deviance is not tailored suits or computer geeks/Pierced tongues or sex freaks/love for hire under dirty sheets/I have lived and breathed you...." --Vanessa Daou, "Deviate"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps