Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Movie Recommendations

Author Topic: Movie Recommendations
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i recently saw two scifi/thriller/horror films on video/DVD that i had not seen in theaters: Pitch Black and Final destination. Both are pretty good films, in fact, they're verey good, considiering that i was not expecting much from either. I just wanted to pass on my recommendations for a weekend movie rental. anyone have any suggestions as to what is a good movie that's worth borrowoing?

------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PIFFLE. I say again, PIFFLE.

Screw rental, spend an extra buck or 2, & shag ass to the theater to see "Dancer In The Dark." Then pick up the CD. You'll thank me later.

------------------
"Two parts slush...one part solid ice...one part hard-packed snow...a dash of assorted debris...sculpt into sphere, and serve at high velocity without warning." --Calvin

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Blade' and 'Event Horizon' come to mind. 'Cube' is also one worth checking out, although this is a very low budget movie (only 5(!) digits) I liked it very much. And Nicole DeBoer is playing in this movie .

------------------
Buffy: "See, this is a school. And we have students and they check out books and then they learn things."
Giles: "I was beginning to suspect that was a myth."
- Buffy: The Vampire Slayer

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got seven words for you that will make your night:

"Flying boobs and nuts: Muffy's road trip"

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altair: What a coincedence, I was just going to recommend him "Sphere"!!
That's a good sci-fi/horror flick too, the fast-changing plot really surprised me.

------------------
Don't forget, I faked all the orgasms.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:::bludgeons Nimrod's skull until it turns into a pinkish pasty pulp:::

How DARE you mention "Sphere" in my presence?!? Do it again & I'm turning this car around & we're heading BACK to Winnipeg!

------------------
"Two parts slush...one part solid ice...one part hard-packed snow...a dash of assorted debris...sculpt into sphere, and serve at high velocity without warning." --Calvin

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blade?

Blade was okay. Hmmm. Let's see: beings who live forever until they get their heads whacked off by a sword.

For me, I'd prefer to watch "Highlander" or some episodes of the TV show.

Not saying Blade was a bad movie ... but it could've been a great Highlander flic with a few changes. Ah well.

"Pleasantville" is a good movie. Not sci-fi.

------------------
Jeff's Webcam
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"The Eiffel Tower ... thw worlds' largest lightening rod!" MacLeod to Kalas before taking his head atop the Paris landmark

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen "Pleasantville", although I've heard some nice things about it, but I think the movie "Gangbanged In Turkish Prison" starring Shik is very interesting.

------------------
Don't forget, I faked all the orgasms.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supernova wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be, if I wanted to a f***flic I would have rented one....
The blurb I read for Cube wasn't anything like the movie really was, so I was expecting more out of it...
Now I only rent movies for the kids.....
Poke mon, digi mon, mice and pigs that talk......
I guess it beats a guy talking with his ass though...

------------------
Stupid bastards and religious freaks,
so safe in their castle keeps...

Shik
Member # 343

HEY!! For the last TIME, dammit...it was NOT a TURKISH PRISON! It was a CYPRIOT one!

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yeah, Vampire stories ripped off the idea of immortals who can die by having their heads chopped off from Highlander, didn't they?

Isn't Farscape just a rip-off of Blake's 7? And poor old Tolkein for stealing all of JMS's ideas.

(The Bible was based on Dragon Ball Z. Honest. People die. And then come back.)

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Nim
Member # 205

The vampires in Blade died if they got impaled, shot or stabbed with a sword too, so the rip-off isn't really there.

------------------
So, how's that Survivor-contest coming along, Newt?
-Well not very well at the MOMENT, everyone seems to have died.
-Gee, that's bad. Those Aliens bugging you yet?
-Not really, they mostly come at night mostly...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't mean "rip-off" ... poor choice of words.

But there was one preview for Blade that could easily have said "HIGHLANDER" and I wouldn't have noticed a difference.

I can't really remember what preview it was, but it was a couple years ago.

Ah well.

------------------
Jeff's Webcam
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"The Eiffel Tower ... the worlds' largest lightening rod!" MacLeod to Kalas before taking his head atop the Paris landmark

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, everyone knows that Farscape is an attempt to do a serious ripoff of Red Dwarf.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blade Runner. Not only first rate sci fi...am I human or a replicant and are you my "father" (Freud would have loved this film), but also a first rate film noir.

------------------
Get going! And answer those phones, install the computer system, and rotate my office so the window faces the hills.
~C. Montgomery Burns

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps