Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » How Many Immortals? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: How Many Immortals?
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so... we keep hearing about how bad ass certain immortals are because they have so many kills, or "charges". But it's never made clear why they are considered so unbeatable. I assume it's because they have so much experience (having killed six hundred odd immortals in duels must mean you are good with a sword, eh?) Is there another reason? Do they heal up faster with the higher charges of quickening inside them? Perhaps they possess the knowledge and skill of the other warriors? Even the stamina? Which of course would explain how Duncan gets laid so often.

Fuck, I hate him. None of the evil immortals seem to get much ass. This would tend to make you evil, if nothing else would.

------------------
Between the idea and the reality, comes the Shadow

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*lmao*

I hate the HL4 reasoning, the more heads you are the better you are by default. Some Immortals (Methos for instance) can be literally millinea old and not have many heads but be highly skilled and not have the desire to kill.
Kalas was killing them for centuries in that monastary before Duncan find him out, and then there's That other, who knew Darius before he took that other ancient's head 1000's of years ago. Duncan killed him. You'd think he would have taken more heads than Duncan, and going by head count automatically will reduce the amount of new immortals out there if anyone with like 3 kills found a new one.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grayson was the Immortal stalking Darius. Darius was Grayson's teacher, but Darius challenged and defeated "the oldest living Immortal at the time" outside the gates of Paris fifteen hundred years before the ep and became a "good guy" ...

There's a popular theory that the older an Immortal gets, the more they tire of eternal life -- always fighting other Immortals, losing their loved ones -- and eventually, that wariness manifests itself in a fight and they lose.

I agree that the HL-4 reasoning blows. Unless Dawson is showing it to say, "hey, this guys really good 'cuz he's got the talent to kill six hundred plus Immortals! He knows how to use a sword!"

Look at Richie ... his first kill was SEVERAL HUNDRED years old, and the first Immortal he defeated (although he didn't kill her), was at least a hundred and fifty years old ... oh, yeah, he defeated her the first day he learned how to fight with a sword ... so, IMHO, the "more heads you take..." theory is BS ...

Although, in "The Immortal Cimoli", Danny Cimoli, who is a new Immortal, is told by Amanda that once he's "taken a few heads" he'll be better able to resist other, more experienced Immortals coming for him ...

Anyway ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing that I can think of that would make sense from what Amanda said is he'd learn how to better defend himself or maybe the Quickening gives them some kind of skill level which is too RPG-ish to me.
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at least this shows I'm not the only one confused about that...

Anyway, what is the "official" timeline of the shows? Ignoring highlander 2, we still have a rather disjointed chronology to look at.

Hopefully you guys have seen all the movies:
but if not
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
connor kills the Kurgan before the tv show starts. But in HL4: Endgame he's shown to have been in that coma chamber (or whatever the hell it was) for at least a decade. He was there for the first show of the series, and it's my guess that HL3, where he killed Kain and his butt monkeys(heh...what do you think they did in that cave for four hundred years?) came immediately after that. Did conner go into sanctuary after that, or did the third movie not happen? I mean, didn't he have an adopted son in the movie? Where the hell did he go? I haven't seen all the episodes, but still...

And, one last question. How long does the Gathering last? If it started in the first movie (ignoring the obvious fact that the immies in the movie believed they were the last, and that connor has won the prize at least three times now) and it's still going down three movies and a tv show later...That's at least a decade of subjective tv show time. Ritchie sure picked a bad time to become an immortal, right at the end of it. The only way it could work is if the Gathering is going to go on for awhile, say a few decades.

But they'll never explain that, will they? Gads, I despise reverse histronics. It would have been more convincing to simply say the movies didn't happen, and that the series was all on it's own. ... now that I think about it, that would have actually been preferable, because all the big screwups are from the movies.

------------------

[This message has been edited by thoughtcriminal84 (edited January 21, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Highlander II and III never happened. (This is canon, by the way -- those two movies never happened)...

The events of 1985 New York can best be described as a "mini-Quickening", nature's way of keeping the numbers of Immortals low. It follows then that Connor, Kurgan, Kastagir and the other Immortals actually THOUGHT that it was the Gathering -- and in a way, it was -- just, not the final Gathering, but a mini- let's get rid of all the Immortals in New York ... (this is just a theory, mind you, but it seems the best one) ...

Connor hunts Slan Quince in the TV show's "The Gathering."

Shortly thereafter, the prologue of "Endgame" where Kell blows Rachel up occurs. Duncan MacLeod is in New York City ... one first season episode explains away Duncan's absense in the first act or two by having Richie mention Duncan being in "New York" ... this, therefore, makes the most sense as where to place the "Endgame" scene ... Connor enters the "sanctuary" shortly thereafter.

There is a year space between Seasons V and VI of Highlander: The Series.

"Endgame" probably takes place 3 years after the conclusion of "Highlander: The Series" and two years after the last episode of "Highlander: The Raven."

As for "The Gathering" (the event, not the episode), no one knows how long it will last. During the First Season of "Highlander: The Series", constant reference was made that the Gathering was, in fact, happening right then and there -- if that were true, many years would pass before the Gathering concluded. TPTB ignored references to the Gathering beginning with the second season (I guess they didn't expect the show to last that long), so it's anyone's guess as to how long the Gathering will actually be ...

=)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited January 21, 2001).]

Teelie
Member # 280

I think they just keep changing their minds and muddling the movies up.
They should do some clarifying and changing of what happened in all 3 "current time" movies, ignoring 2 being in the future, obviously, but this still leaves 3 as being a bit of a quirk with the adopted son.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

If they'd done III in "Series" continuity, maybe ... you know, just a quick drop off line about not winning the prize and Duncan running around somewhere ...

BUT those stupid bastards ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Member # 480

"heeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeee we are...the princes of the UN-EEEEEE-VERSE!"

cue wah wah pedal, thunderous drums.

Would this show have been half as cool without Queen? Nah.

Did Duncan ever kill Horton? I've always wondered.

------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Yeah, in "Counterfeit pt. II" ... Horton was running away, and Duncan yelled: "I thought you said you were the man I couldn't kill!" so Horton came at Mac with a switchblade and (with more than a little help from Mac) got it slammed into his chest.

And died.

Didn't stop him from coming back as a guest star in a flashback in one episode, and as the demon "Ahriman" in three more ... (although that arc sucked majorly)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps