Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Galactic Armaggeddon - Can War Destroy The Galaxy? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Galactic Armaggeddon - Can War Destroy The Galaxy?
lomjlt
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most often in science fiction, militaries fight like they do with traditional technology before humanity had nuclear weapons --- two machines or ships fire at one another until one is destroyed.

To get more firepower, you add more ships until you have a large enough invasion force to conquer the other side.

Why would future militaries fight like that if they had advance technology?

For example, a powerful enough particle accelerator could generate a black hole that would wipe out all life in a solar system. A black hole that passes through our solar system, even if it passes by Pluto and never comes anywhere near Earth, would still change the orbits of all the planets, killing all life here on Earth.

Why send ships to invade a planet when you could just create a black hole that kills all the inhabitants? It's easier and cheaper to kill with "nuclear weapons" or "black hole weapons" than with a large invasion force.

In fact, that's why nuclear weapons were built - to deter an invasion at an affordable cost that would not bust the budget.

In this scenario, let's say two military alliances engage in an arms race to build black hole weapons until each had an arsenal sufficient to destroy the entire galaxy if ... let's say ... 10,000 black hole weapons were ignited.

What if a scientist could create one black hole weapon as powerful as 10,000 of them?

Can future war destroy the galaxy?

IP: Logged
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting.... my personal opinion is that for a civilisation to become space-faring in the first place, a much more stable political structure than those existing today would be needed. It's difficult to imagine what space politics would be like. For instance, how would a government enforce laws in an environment as vast as space? Would "nations" exist at all? Perhaps a separate thread should be started to discuss this.

But getting back to the topic at hand, which is mainly a matter of logistics, my initial opinion would be that destroying a galaxy would be pretty inconceivable. Interstellar space is vast, and even if you could create a black hole and give it an accurate velocity vector (bordering on the impossible, there, even theoretically), how fast could you get it to move to another system?

------------------
"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there's the probable treaties of future powers regarding "mutual destruction".
They could probably fight differently than we do today, but there are easier ways of destroying planets than creating black holes...
Manipulating asteroids, for instance. Or exposing a population to various types of radiation.
All cowardly and filthy ways of waging wars.
Since a black hole can threaten subspace stability, though, it would be the most dangerous and unpredictable enterprise we hairless apes have ever ventured.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andromeda has a super weapon, that forces a star to go nova, taking out the whole system at once.

------------------
Witty Remark

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooray!

------------------

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They put one of yours in the hospital,
you put one of their's in the morgue.
It's the Chicago way.

I think we'd better start making plans. If Kosh's information is accurate (and I have no doubt that it is), we need to prepare ourselves for Andromeda's inevitable onslaught.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Nim
Member # 205

Better den you, you stinkin' Irish pig!

------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Andromeda doesn't have nova bombs anymore... Hunt detonated all 40 of them at once in the series pilot, remember?

I agree that most space combat as is presented today is probably unrealistic. There are going to be technologies far beyond anyone's imagination, I am sure. Invention is a continual process. There are always going to be big weapons that are considered "superweapons" of the time. Remember WWI? (Not like you were there, of course... I mean your history lessons. Sheesh...) Back then the machine gun was proclaimed the ultimate weapon of mass destruction and foretold the end of human civilization. Fifty years before that, the muzzle-loading rifle revolutionized infantry combat during the American Civil War. The list goes on and on.

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, they got at least one nova bomb at the end of the second ep.

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"For example, a powerful enough particle accelerator could generate a black hole that would wipe out all life in a solar system."

Oh?

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to burst your bubble.

But in a world such as ours, to generate a black hole, human must procure "god-like" capability.

In another word, pretty damn impossible.

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh?

And that was three words, actually.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*snaps fingers*

There! Uh... damn.

*snaps fingers again*

Come on dang it!

*black hole appears*

Better.

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Is it pretty?

------------------

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1......2.......3 (counting the word on the last post)

damn, you're right, IT IS three words!!!

IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUN FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps