Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » What novel or story would make a good 2-hour movie? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What novel or story would make a good 2-hour movie?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With most "science fiction" movies basically being action adventure movies with space ships instead of cars or fighter planes, Hollywood seems not to understand what science fiction is. So, what science fiction books or stories do you think would make good 2 hour movies? (I impose the 2-hour limit because some great novels, like Dune or the Red Mars, would need to be hacked to pieces to fit into two hours and everyone would hate them anyway.) Also, any classic films do you think could be remade in a cool way?

Here's a few off the top of my head:
1. The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester (a great protocyberpunk space opera from the 1950s)
2. The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester (ESPer cops hunt a murderer. Sounds like Minority Report will be similar)
3. Way Station by Clifford Simak (Aliens give a simple man immortality to run a transporter station on Earth)
4. More than Human by Theodore Sturgeon (Mutant kids become symbiotic organism; pioneered use of telekinesis to avoid having to use toilet).
Mindbridge by Joe Haldeman (Humans use matter transporters to explore the galaxy, run into mean aliens)
5. War of the Worlds by HG Wells (set in Victorian times, of course. Seeing the ironclad Thunder Child take on a Martian Walker would be very cool).
6. Appleseed by Masamune Shiro (Girls in power armor, a guilty pleasure from manga)
7. Childhoods End by Arthur C Clarke (Aliens come to Earth to help mankind evolve)
8. A remake of King Kong (All copies of Dino de Laurentiis's version should be burned).
9. Flash Gordon (based on the comics by Alex Raymond) or A Princess of Mars. Imagine Errol Flynn's Adventure's of Robin Hood set on an Alien World.
10. Thunderbirds!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snow Crash: The Motion Picture would kick ass. But you would have to cut out all the Sumerian stuff, and would wind up with just another flashy action film. Sigh and alas.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhh. . . nothing at the moment. I'll get back to you. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Requiem For Methuselah." Although only part of the Lazarus Long series, it's a key one in that it explains the Howard family deal goodly.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Inconstant Moon" by Larry Niven

"Nightfall" by Isaac Asimov. (yes, I know they made a movie of it, but it could've been better.)

"To Reign in Hell" by Steven Brust

"Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They turned "Inconstant Moon" into a New Outer Limits episode. It sucked.

And Terry Gilliam is in Pre-production to do a movie of Good Omens. 8)

I'm quite a fan of Dean Koontz, although I'll be the first to admit he leaves a lot to be desired. Some of his books would appear to make good films - in fact, they're often so cartoon-y from the start, they seem almost written to be films. But it also seems the better the book, the worse the film, and vice versa.

Demon Seed (1977) - awful (and I mean unreadable) book, quite good film. Considering it was the directed by wild man Donald Cammell, and was the first thing he did after Performance.

Watchers (1988) - Excellent book, the first of his I ever read; also the worst film ever. Remade even worse though, as Watchers II (1990), Watchers III (1994), and Watchers Reborn (1998).

Then you got Whispers (1989), The Face of Fear (1990), and The Servants of Twilight (1991) - all so-so books made into so-so TV films.

Hideaway (1995) - OK book, not-too-bad film. Nearly killed Jeff Goldblum's post-Jurassic Park career revival, though.

Sole Survivor (2000) and Intensity (1997) are OK, and were made into TV mini-series; haven't seen either. Mr. Murder (1998) is good if weird, made into a TV movie starring, of all people, Stephen Baldwin. Badly miscast, and an indication of how his career has slumped after the initial encouragement of The Usual Suspects. . . don't tell my girlfriend, though, as she kinda fancies him.

I haven't read Phantoms (1998) but the movie is sort-of redeemed by not taking itself too seriously. I mean, it has Peter O'Toole as a scientist, how seriously can you take that?

The books of his which I'd say are kinda cool and might work are:-

Watchers - somebody PLEASE make a good film of this!
Lightning - time-travellers from Nazi Germany. You gotta love an idea like that.
Cold Fire - but only while Robert Vaughn is still alive.
The Bad Place - although it's very similar to Dragon's Tears which would be much better.
Seize the Night and Fear Nothing - The best stuff he's done in a long time, and certainly the spookiest. I'm really looking forward to the third book.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well perhaps this doesn't count as it's more fantasy than sci-fi. But the one film that I've ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE adapted- and be utterly faithful, and true to the astonishing vision of the original book was 'Lord of The Rings'. And now that thankfully has come true, the first part debuts in December.

I don't know about any others, I've read a lot, and some are so epic just two hours wouldn't do them justice.

But one of the most amazing sci-fi stories I've EVER read was only about 100-150 pages, and I can't remeber the author but it was written I think in the thirties and was called 'He Who Shrank'. I came across it years ago, and as a result I was in serious, almost delerious shock for about 3 days after reading it. It got leant out and I haven't seen it since. If anybody has got any information and knowledge of this incredible story please let me know. I'd love to see this adapted, with today's FX capabilities it might be possible.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers

Trust me. It has never been done.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, Mr Communist Flagofficer, have you tried search engines?
My first search revealed the author to be Henry Hasse, my second search showed that "He Who Shrank" is in stock at my fav scifi book shop.

It sounds interesting, I think I can waste forty crowns (3.70$) to find out.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foundation, if it was done well. Any or all of the series. Except "Foundation and Earth".

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank-you Nimrod! The reason I didn't try any search engines before is that I hadn't thought about the story in a long time - not until this thread started. To my recollection, 'He Who shrank' was more of a novella, it appeared in an old anthology I used to have. Thanks for the authors name as well. I must check this out and get a copy of it. I hope you are in as much awe of this story as I was, and I don't get a roasting for all this!!

Remember, it was written I think in the thirties, which is incredible when you see some of the amzing ideas that come out of this story.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Yes Omega, I'm a fan of the Foundation series too, that would be an ambitious project

[ June 21, 2001: Message edited by: The Red Admiral ]

--------------------

The ASDB

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not really sci-fi (sci-fantasy, really) but I would love to see Gene Wolfe's Book of The New Sun made into a series of films.

[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ender's Game & Ender's Shaddow. I'm not a big reader, as a matter of fact, I rarely read at all. These two books are some of the few that kept my intrest.

Last I heard there was a movie in development, but not much has been heard about it since early last year.

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently read a book by LeVar Burton called Aftermath it looks like it could fill a few seats. That's all mainstream hollywood cares about is filling the seats and people who pay filling the seats.

I think new Frontier series by Peter David would make a great new trek series.

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: Dr Phlox ]

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps