Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Is it me, or are they all rip-offs? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is it me, or are they all rip-offs?
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already explained that that was a mistake, Jeff! It was 3:30 AM! I wasn't thinking stright! Lack of sleep gets to me.
IP: Logged
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mortal Kombat: That reminds me! I have yet to bomb the movie studio that did that movie!

Actually, I thought it was a decent piece of film. Better than Street Fighter, of course.

Final Fantasy

The Final Fantasy series consists of many games, none with any relation to each other, and follows a certain "Magical" concept. FFVI had Espers, or Magic Creatures, FFVII had Materia and Mako Energy, and FFVIII revolved around Guardian Forces and Sorcery.

I'm really looking forward to Final Fantasy. It is indeed made by Square Pictures, which one can assume is part of SquareSoft, the company that creates these Final Fantasy Games. Hopefully, this movie stays true to its Final Fantasy roots and isn't the horror that most other Video game Movies are.

One person says that this movie is basically a cross between "Titan AE" and Harry Potter, though the Harry Potter part I can't quite figure out. Perhaps this is because [SPOILERS] one of the characters gets infected with someting which enables him/her to have abilities similar to magic.[/SPOILERS]

But that's what I think.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TIE Fighter scream sound is even used in a DS9 episode.

A lot of sounds are used in more movies/series. Things like doors sliding open and Mechs walking are some examples.

--------------------
"And they had other stuff (...) like pictures of the Vulcan woman on Enterprise."
"OOOOhhh! Uhm, I mean: Nerds!"

- Willow and Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to defend Mortal Kombat, my only expectation was that the characters looked like in the game, that they used the moves they were famous for (Cage's slide kick, Scorpion's flame breath, Liu Kang's fire attack) and that the script was decent.
They met my demands and I liked it, I was playing MK2 at the time (hehe, my fingers remember those DOS-commands... "C:" enter. "cd spel\mk2" enter. "mk2" enter, and get ready for sweaty palms!).

The second and third movies resembled manure, I haven't even seen the TV series and don't intend to, I think the movie people did what was expected of them with the first one.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I consider myself an extreme fan of Mortal Kombat, I have all the little action figures, cards, comics, novels, movies, and of course games. In all truth i consider myself the number one fan of the franchise.

The movies are awesome. But the problem is, they were made for fans like me. The first one was better for everyone cause it explained alot of the basic stuff. The second one didnt try all that hard, but for a die-hard fan like me, it all made perfect sence and were one of the best movies made... both of them.

When the third one comes out (yep, theres gonna be a third one) I'll be there opening day.

As for other video game based movies, i'm sure you think i'll bash them all, but nope. I enjoyed all of them. Street Fighter, Double Dragon, Mario Brothers, Wing Commander, Tomb Raider were all good movies to me. You just have to sorta lower your expectations to enjoy them. If I walked in that theater expecting a very deep movie, I would be let down. Walk in expecting a loose plot that give you the general idea, then a bunch of guns, fire, explosions, visual effects, and martial arts, you have yourself an enjoyable 2 hours.

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry about going sorta off topic there... about Final Fantasy. BlueElectron, i think you need to investigate the plot of The Spirits Within before you judge it more. It's actually a quite original plot.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering I wasted money renting Wing Commander on video a few years back, I'm actually looking forward to see Final Fantasy.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sound of the guns in the FF Trailer don't sound at all like the lasers from Terminator 2, and I know what the lasers sound like since I just watched the DVD a few weeks ago.

And Final Fantasy definatly doesn't have anything to do with Starship Troopers.

One funky sound-copying thing I've heard is that, during M:I-2, when the cars pull up in Australia and the bad guy gives the girl one last chance to live, the background noise for when the cars are pulling up is the same noise heard at the beginning of Daft Punk's "Revolution 909" off their CD Homework.

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: The359 ]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Wes
Member # 212

I've seen final fantasy 3 times already. its my favorite movie. oh my god its just beautiful
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps