Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Why is it that no one mentions Battletech?

Author Topic: Why is it that no one mentions Battletech?
Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one mentions anything about Battletech. It deserves a little recognition. It may not have started out as a T.V series or movie. but it did have a short lived T.V series. It used CG technology to show the Enhanced Imaging that Clan JAde Falcon and the others had. It became a bunch of games. about 8 or 9 stand alone games. and a couple of addon packs. and they were all better than any of the star trek games made. with ther exception of Elite Force. (just barely)

The Mechs rock. and the Aerospace fighters were really bitchin.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
? ...Can't speak for everyone else, but I personally haven't mentioned it before because I haven't heard of it.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(IMO)
The first game was revolutionary because it was different and the mechs were cool, the next two games sucked ass and had no interesting story, plot or feeling. Just "go there, blow up that, oop you missed a waypoint - start all over".

The latest game seems mildly interesting, I beta tested it a bit and did some internet gaming, but it's not as interesting as other games cuming up.

As for not mentioning the show here, you said it yourself. It was a minor series that aired a long, long time ago. I haven't seen it and knows nobody around me IRL that have seen it.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mech2 and GBL really had no storyline. Mechwarrior Merc. had issues. mech 3 was pretty good. Mechcommander rocked, it was a really good game. then mech4 came out, and it had a good storyline. but the controls were back to mech2. so it was hard to go back to them. mechcommander2 is supposed to be real good, i'm gonna check it out.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am an old afficianado of the original Battletech. That is RPG/board game. The mech combal itself was alright (a big problem being that a single combat could last 6+ hours leaving little time for character development or any role playing at all). But the setting was great. The politics of the inner shphere were excellently detailed and many of the novels (those by Stackpole anyway) really added to the flavor of the gaming world.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well i had the choice of either creating a new post thread on a clearly dead topic (since i don't even bother with Dorkage's website anymore) but since i asked recently on DCS about this, with no results (Not many people like to hump dead horses anymore) so i'd figured i'd save the enviroment and cast Summon Necromany Thread III and save some gas $...

First off, anybody reads the current line of fiction for the Mechwarrior: Darkage storyline?

If so, any thoughts on the current JF mind fuck going on?

'A Rectum of Falcons', indeed....

Did you know in all the volumes of air blown here, BT has only been mentioned.... 6 times.

I wonder how many hits 'Masterbating chipmonks with fleece' would get?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oddly enough, I reloaded Mechwarrior 3 for the hell of it this weekend. Don'cha just love all that faux- military speak from the clans, quiaff?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Teh PW
Member # 1203

Neg! Swedish Chief is Kerensky! Seyla!

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm annoyed that things have gone in the direction they have, both with the fluff and with the gameplay.
The ancient history of the Star League was cool. The Successor States were neat. The first Clan invasion was very cool, as were the follow-u[s to that and the revelations we got about the Clans. But then things faltered, got stupid, overloaded, and meh.

I kind of like the premise of Dark Age, but not the execution.

And I'm sad that they were never able to solve the lawsuits to my satisfaction. Most of their own mech designs were ass, especially as time went on.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Teh PW
Member # 1203

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MechWarrior:_Dark_Age

Well, i now understand why they did the Steel Wolves to Wolf Hunters (Ohnoz... Daddy? Can i get s Steel Clan Wolfie?)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mechwarrior+dorkage&btnG=Search

Ahh... and i can take pride in knowning they changed Dorkage to Age of Denial 'cause of moi!

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First rule of Battletech: "DO NOT TALK ABOUT BATTLETECH!"
Plus, you know, the extremely slow-moving mechs lack any coolness factor....and who really wants to focus on heat-sinks that much?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's one thing that always bothered me... Heat management was key to the table and video games, but overall it just slowed down playtime. I like to blow away bad guys with reckless abandon, dammit!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps