my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Translator Strikes Back

Author Topic: The Translator Strikes Back
TORI
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, thanks very much.

I believe we got a little bit carried away here on ramdrives, ramscoops and ramstuff, so I will give you two more things to ponder:

* - a POD - hence the podmaster, pod...

* - huds (I THINK it is from Head-Up Display) but what do you think it looks like? Is it something like shades? Or bigger? Or smaller? Or is it so small it is not even visible? Is it some retinual projection system? What the heck is it?

T.

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.) A pod, in this case, is just another word for group. Emergent society is apparently broken up into these tightly-knit, strongly controlled groups. So the Podmaster is just the group leader.

2.) Yes, that's what Vinge means by hud. There are, as I recall, a few different kinds in the novel. I'll look through it and get back to you tomorrow, unless Lee beats me to it.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buh? Can't remember to be honest. I mean, didn't the Queng Ho (Cheng Ho?) have inbuilt computer systems and therefore retinal displays?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Qeng Ho.

One of the interfaces was a headpiece sort of setup, like fancy glasses. The other utilized those very tiny probes that Pham Nuwen had picked up early in his adventures and modified. But only he was aware of their full capabilities. As far as use goes, I think he slipped one or two into the corner of each eye, and they projected images that way.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right. Now I remember. Those eyepieces were a limited VR device, and I think it was those that were commonly referred to as 'huds.' Most people didn't know about the properties of the micrprobes, let alone have a name for them.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps