Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » There Can Be Only ... FIVE?!?! (Highlander: The Series) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: There Can Be Only ... FIVE?!?! (Highlander: The Series)
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a stranger in this thread in regards to having never watched the Highlander series. I'm a big Highlander fan, of the movies though, well the first one anyway. The second one was hideous, the third contradicted the first and so forth. So I never bothered with the fourth or the TV series, and now there's a fifth movie, what should I do now? Do I have to sit down and watch the series to understand movies 4 and 5??

You see, in my mind Highlander was a movie about Connor Macleod. He defeated the bad guy and won the prize. He won, period, in my mind. So to me it ended there. Appranetly not so, due to the other movies, being canon or non-canon alike, and multiple seasons it seems of a TV series. So after careful analysis it would seem there are 4 Highlander universes.

1. Highlander (my choice)
2. Highlander II (horrific, don't even go there)
3. Highlander III (tried to pick up after the first film, it at least had some of the same romantic flavors, but just didn't cut it - I echo Alban Rune's earlier comments on this)
4. Highlander the series, and Highlander IV (beyond my knowledge)

I'm just so damn confused as to how the series fits in with the great and perfectly substantial first film. I think I could only accept the series if it did not usurp or contradict the flow and continuity of the first film. To enjoy the continuing Highlander saga I want there to be a solid universe (I think I can happily ignore movies two and three as they just weren't any good)

Am I making any sense....? Or am I just being a dumbass, one who can't simply enjoy both universes for the sake of entertainment...? I am after all a sad Trek-head, and continuity is a painfully significant issue.... So help me, waddo I do...?

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: The Red Admiral ]

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Highlander I happens, except it's not the Final Gathering. Connor MacLeod kills Kurgan.

Highlander: The Series happens. Duncan MacLeod roams Seacouver and Paris, killing many an Immortal.

Highlander II & III never happened.

Highlander IV takes places.

End of story.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Highlander I happens, except it's not the Final Gathering. Connor MacLeod kills Kurgan.

Highlander: The Series happens. Duncan MacLeod roams Seacouver and Paris, killing many an Immortal.

Highlander II & III never happened.

Highlander IV takes places.

End of story.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing is with AP doing a TV series, he'll probably have trouble fitting in a full length movie with it, especially as the series is new and he's the main star, can't exactly write him away for a few episodes, if he does sign then it means either the series is cancelled, during it's hiatus or he's going to attempt both at once, but then he also wants to get away from the stereotyping of being MacLeod I think...

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole storyline now makes so little sense, they can do whatever they like and get away with it.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIK, the series is already over. I think it ran 5 seasons. Then there was a spin-off with Amanda in it called...Raven...I think. It lasted for about half a season IIRC. Never saw it though. Supposedly it wasn't so much about the Immortals as it was about her doing some kind of detective work.

Why is it that the third movie now never happened? Is it because Conner was still the only Immortal around in that movie? Or because it messes with the series' timeline?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

AP's doing a new syndicated series. He could easily get away during the show's hiatus.

Highlander III doesn't exist because a) when it happens, Connor's "really" in Sanctuary, and b) well, that pretty much sums it up.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotcha. Anyone care to comment on Raven. How did it tie into the storyline..or did it?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Takes place after Highlander's Sixth Season. Jim Byrnes did a guest sting one episode as Dawson. Ended after one year. Easily forgetable (especially Amanda's hair).

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Did Amanda take any heads or hunt down any Immortals or anything...or was it more about other aspects of her life?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think she did but it was a flop. They tried doing something totally different and expected the audience to accept it.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vogon's right. I'm so confused with this franchise that it doesn't seem to matter any more. There may be some that say Highlander (The movie, the first and original), is Highlander, all the other movies and series spin-offs never happened.

It's all a matter of perspective on how you view continuity and such things. Exactly like Trek.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They really need to wipe the slate, say it was all Conners tortured dreams, and start over, bringing back Connery, bring in Paul and write a decent script for a change.

The series was pretty good, had some excellent eps, but all of the movies after the first one really blew chuncks. The last one was the best of the loast three, but it was a little hard to except.

The real problem is the Lambert looked bad in the last film. I don't what he's been doing, or maybe he's just older then I thought, but he looked bad for someone who doesn't age.

They could do a movie about Duncan's time with Native Americans. The episodes of the show that were set in that time, or refered to that time, were among my favorites.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm confused...so Lambert's character still lives after the recent movie? Isn't he suppose to be dead?

I've watched the Highlander TV series and the Raven spinoff... and I rather liked the Highlander TV series more than the spinoff. It could be worse though, we could have 5 Highlander TV series and 9 movies to talk about...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Michael T.,

Connor will (apparently) be in flashbacks, set in a time period before his death.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps