Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » 2001: A Space Odyssey - Like it or not? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 2001: A Space Odyssey - Like it or not?
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a couple days ago, but I spent my bottom dollars to see the 70mm print at the cavernous Castro theatre in San Fanncsico. Wow. I had seen it on the big screen before, and my folks have a HDTV widescreen, but it's just not the same. It was literally breathtaking. Before the film started, they had the guy up there on the mighty Wurlitzer and he played a little 'Zarathustra'. That was fun. Then the film starts and it is simply incredible. I mean it puts so many contemporary films to shame. The only thing that dates it is the clothes and the computer graphics. It's depressing in a way, because the themes of tools and who's-using-whom throughout the film kind of relates to modern film-making. I mean here we are: today in 2001 with all the tools we have for special FX and cameras and editing and stunts and we're still making movies like Red Planet and Event Horizon. Don't even get me started on Episode I. Then there's the ideas of the real world. We're still nowhere near the civilians in space concepts as presented in the film. It's a shame.

Anyway if you do get a chance to catch the 70mm print, I HIGHLY recommend it.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps