Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Roughnecks vs Starship Troopers, which is better

Author Topic: Roughnecks vs Starship Troopers, which is better
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been catching glimpses of the 3D animated cartoon that is based on Starship troopers. Looks better than the original, but what do you think?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you say so, oh grand one.

Honestly, I never saw the CGI "Roughnecks" ... but I did read some reviews about it, and based on those I'd say they're truer to the book (and thus better) then the movie.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dysentery.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No gratuitous nudity. So depending on your preferences, the show is either better or a lot worse than the movie.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched one episode once when I up at an ungodly hour. I thought that the cartoon was pretty good. I haven't seen all of Starship Troopers, but I've seen enough to know the story and understand where most people's complaints come from. The cartoon seemed to be paced pretty well and aimed at a level greater than your typical five year-old. Not too bad of a cartoon, plus the weapons could actually do some damage against the insects.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the cartoon (from the few episodes i've seen) does seem to be a better representation. however, i do like the tits of the movie, so i guess it's a toss up.

--jacob

IP: Logged
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The movie was bloody awful.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should shoot the people who wrote, produced, and directed that movie.

Is there a site where I can obtain information on the Roughnecks?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Saltah'na
Member # 33

bleah

[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: Tahna Los ]

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, I still like Verhoeven's Robocop (Uno) and Total Recall. They're the kind of mindless violence and action with sci-fi twist that is enjoyable. Something went wrong with the guy after Showgirls unfortunately.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear god. Please don't remind me of Total Recall. That movie was awful!

ST was terrible. But for some reason, I watch it whenever it comes on anyways. The nudity was good, but I still can't get past the SS uniforms, the Space 90210 crap or the fact that those chunk headed marines were using dinky machine guns meant to take out normal people against gigantic insects that had strong, bony exoskeletons and were 10 times their size.

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

The SS-like uniforms were an interesting addition.

It was ruined because it looked ridiculous on Doogie Howser MD, that's all.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple good Roughnecks sites:

http://misterhook.tripod.com/roughnecks/
http://www.trooperpx.com/RSTC/series.html

I *love* this series. To draw one comparison, it's the drama of "Space: Above and Beyond" done realistically. Too bad they never finished the 40-episode series due to funding problems with Sony.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

God I hate that. Series that are too ambitious always leave you hanging or wanting for more because the last season or whatever ends up never being made.

too bad.

--------------------

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During summer break i'd watch the show. (it was at 2 am) I thought it was pretty cool. The blue stuff coming out of the plasma-bug's rear end looked awesome. The show really seemed to make the time fly by. Before i knew it, it was 2:30, and it would be over.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps