Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Disappointment, then excitement (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Disappointment, then excitement
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

On the subject of LOTR, I've tried to read the first book several times but can't get intrested in the story. The whole business about the birthday party was boring.

If you read "The Hobbit" first, the events of the birthday party make far more sense. If you like fantasy books at all, LotRs is the top of the line.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Dr Phlox
Member # 680

- posted      Profile for Dr Phlox         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wish I would of new that before I returned the book to Barnes and Noble.

[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: Dr Phlox ]

--------------------
President Josiah Bartlet: Congratulations. So, who is da man on this one?

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: I think this time we're all collectively da man, sir.

Deputy Communications Director Sam Seaborn: I accidentally slept with a call girl.

Communications Director Toby Ziegler: Accidentally? Did you trip over something?
-----------------
The West Wing

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[edit: Minor minor spoiler for those trying to read LOTR before the film]
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
I recognise LOTR as being the definitive fantasy story, revolutionising, and practically creating the genre, but I didn't really like the series when I read it a few years ago. I can't really put my finger on it, the writing is excellent, but I think the story just wasn't all that exciting, and I was a little put off by the, dare I say, childish parts like Tom Bombadillo and the Ents.

I'm trying to read the Fellowship OTR now, in anticipation of the movie (which I'm looking forward to, but only moderately), but I'm having difficulty maintaining my interest. I don't think I'll have it finished in time, but I kind of remember it anyway.

BTW Is Harry Potter worth going to if you've never read any of the books and don't know anything about the story?

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: Jernau Morat Gurgeh ]

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hate to revive an old thread, but if you find the books boring and childish at all, then you will LOVE the action job butchery that is the movie. my favorite parts, [Roll Eyes] , of the movie: arwen saving frodo at rivendell and the 500 line battle of moria that is ballooned into a huge production. also, the complete destruction of everything that made the books good. for instance, the characters, settings, (where the fuck is anything or anyone from the first half of the book?!?) and the stories, all butchered in the name of making money. the cheap cartoon made in the 70's is better than this slop. christopher tolkien was right to disown his son over this movie. i'm surprised that tolkien fans like this movie so much when enterprise (which keeps to roddenberry's orginal ideas much more than the LOTR sticks to the book) has been bashed so much by star trek fans. there is a reason why roeper gave this film a thumb down.

--jacob

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps