Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Close Encounters of the Third Kind: How many different versions?

Author Topic: Close Encounters of the Third Kind: How many different versions?
Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After receiving Close Encounters of the Third Kind on DVD for Christmas, and I have come to wonder:

Just how many versions of the film exist, and what are the specific differences of these cuts and re-edits? My understanding is that there has been, at minimum, the Original Theatrical release, the Special Edition release (with the “Inside the Mothership” Scene), and the DVD release. They may be other cuts of the film, but I am not really sure.

I would also like to know just how comprehensive the “deleted scenes” section is. Between the “deleted scenes” section and the movie as presented on this DVD set, are all of the scenes from all three(?) versions of the movie accounted for? (Apparently not, as somewhat explained below.) What scenes are missing, and why (if anyone knows)?

In order to partially answer my own question, I have taken the time to compare Close Encounters of the Third Kind on DVD with my VHS “Special Edition” version (copyrighted 1980). I have made the following comparisons:

Brief “close-up” scene where UFO “examines” McDonald’s Billboard: On Special Edition (VHS), in the film. Not included on DVD at all.

Press Conference/Community Meeting Scene: On DVD, in the film. Not included on Special Edition (VHS).

Scene with Roy outside “collecting” materials for sculpting: On DVD, in the film. Not included on Special Edition (VHS).

Scene inside the mothership: On Special Edition (VHS), in the film. Included on the DVD in the “deleted scenes” section, Disk 2.

(Also, I have been told that there is a scene where Roy sees the shape of Devil's Tower in a pillow while his wife is ranting at him, and that scene is ONLY in the Original '77 version. This scene is not included in the deleted scenes on the DVD.)

So, it would seem that in addition to the “McDonald’s Billboard scene,” this “Devil's Tower/pillow scene” (which to my recollection, I have never seen) is also not accounted for on the DVD edition.

Any other scenes?

I did a brief search on the Internet and could find no comprehensive sites that have actually cataloged all of the scenes and versions of Close Encounters. I was quite surprised that no one has done this! (Or at least, posted it on the net.)

While Star Trek: The Motion Picture has similarly undergone several cuts and re-edits (a total of at least three versions, if I am not mistaken), all scenes are accounted for on the new Director’s DVD Edition (whether in the film or in the deleted scenes section). I am somewhat baffled as to why this was not done for Close Encounters. Certainly, on a two disk DVD set, there would have been plenty of room to include everything!

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: Commander Dan ]

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a good question. I've got the original 77 version on video, and the Special Edition, and there are a number of additonal scenes and missing scenes on both, as you said. I have no idea why, but to be frank it is a pain in the ass.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about this?
Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah! Many thanks, TSN! Much appreciated!

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, my. That is a lot of alternate versions.

--------------------
Meh

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still haven't recovered from the last time I tried to work my way through the IMDB's list of alternate versions. . . *head still spinning*

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps