Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Closing the files. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Closing the files.
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
POSTED AT 3:54 AM EST Thursday, January 17

Fox closing X-Files in May

Reuters News Agency

Los Angeles — The truth will soon no longer be out there.

The X-Files, the Emmy-winning sci-fi drama that thrust two federal agents into spooky paranormal situations, will end its nine-season run on the Fox television network in May, Daily Variety reported in its Thursday edition.

Series creator Chris Carter decided to pull the plug on the show, whose ratings have been hurt this season by the departure of star David Duchovny and by tougher competition.

"It's the ninth inning. We want to go out on top," the trade paper quoted Carter as saying. "We wanted to go out as a strong show."

Carter hoped Duchovny would return as Special Agent Fox Mulder for the two-part series finale opposite Gillian Anderson's Agent Dana Scully. Both actors, whose mutual off-screen antipathy was well documented, are on board for a sequel to the 1998 X-Files feature.

Duchovny phased out his involvement in the series last season, and former Terminator 2 co-star Robert Patrick was drafted in as Agent John Doggett.

The X-Files premiered in September 1993 on the Fox network, which is part of News Corp's Fox Entertainment Group unit. Its cult hit status soon snowballed into mainstream success, and the show won 15 Emmy Awards over the years, including an acting prize for Anderson.

Although ratings were off this season, with the show ranking No. 72 out of 162, it remains a strong performer in syndication.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus the fact that the writing has been crappy, the stories are so wierd that not even the die-hard fans can understand what's going on, and the colonization story arc has never been satisfactorily explained or concluded.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's about time. Sorry to say, it just want cuttin' it anymore.

I remember watching the first episode. Normally I would watch my shows in a room in a different part of the house than my mom. But that night I watched in a room adjacent to where she watched TV just in case I was scared out of my wits.

Antipathy? They didn't like each other? Huh. Learn something new everyday.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it wasn't so much antipathy as, while they worked well together, they didn't feel the need to hang out very much offscreen.

Thank God it's over, it had long since jumped the shark. I didn't even bother to watch 8th season.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta say, i loved the addition of Doggett.. but as that dragged on i realized that there really wasnt anything going on. Havent even tuned in this year..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"jumped the shark"? Origin of this saying???

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jumped the shark, refers to "Happy Days" when they did an episode where Fonzie jumped a shark in a tank on his motorcycle. By this point in the show the show had become old, stale and there was nothing left to say, hence once you reach the point of nothing left to say you are Jumping the Shark.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though the show is getting less scarier and less with the conspiracy stuff, it's still one of my favorite shows. I hope it goes out with a bang. Maybe the next movie will be good too.

--------------------
Meh

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
damn, you really do learn something new everyday
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.jumptheshark.com/

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I thought that "Happy Days" explanation was a joke...
Lee
Member # 393

Yes, Timothy, but your idea of what consitutes a joke is a bit weird. 8)

Nope, this is apparently a genuine term that's come into use. It's also a very personal one, really, since except in a very few instances everyone has their own opinion of when a show reaches its peak, starts to go downhill, or whatever else might fit the definition of "jumping the shark."

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere a FOX executive is worried.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few examples of "jumping the shark":

Married With Children

Night Court

Beverly Hills, 90210 (I personally did not watch this show, but several friends have told me that that's what happened.)

Can anyone think of any others?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some would argue the Simpsons have. There certainly hasn't been a cusp point where the show went into a slide, but most would agree there's been a consistent decline usually cited as beginning with the Lisa-becoming-a-vegetarian show.

seaQuest DSV is IMHO, a textbook case of shark-jumping. Season 1 = on par with TNG. Seasons 2 and 3 = on par with "Threshold."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps