Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » What Lies Beneath ($$$$)

Author Topic: What Lies Beneath ($$$$)
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just re-watched this film yesterday, and I liked it again, for a few main reasons. One, it is very scary. It's scarier the first time, but, it still makes you jump. Second, the music is great, as any music in any thriller should be. Third, there are numerous references to Hitchcock, like Rear Window and Psycho. Lastly, Harrison Ford is my favorite actor, and it's interesting to see him in a bad-guy role.

Just wondering if anyone else liked this thriller. It may have been trashed by the critics, but I don't think it deserved it.

[ February 10, 2002, 06:56: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was okay, not fantastic, but certainly not terrible. I guess the best term is adequate as Hitchcock films will always prove better than Hitchcock-like films.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Veers
You first
Member # 661

I agree, Vanguard.
I would give it * * * out of * * * *. It wasn't fantastic, like you said, but it didn't deserve a beating.

[ February 10, 2002, 08:48: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like it, found it boring and silly.

movies that involve ghosts have always been crap to me. Except for Poltergeist, and the Exorcist. Neither one of which I have seen more than once. And Ghostbusters, of course, but that doesn't count, because it is an entity unto itself.

I think the thing that bothers me about Ghost movies is how once you have seen it, all the mystery of the plot is gone, and what you're left with is usually a sub-par movie.

Re: That piece of shit with nicole kidman that came out last year about a ghost in a castle.

Anybody think that is worth two viewings?

Re: The Sixth Sense

Highly overrated and...
$$$$$$$$spoiler warning for the Sixth Sense Below$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
It's not really that good of a movie, but it's got people saying it made them cream their shorts, it was so good. Why? The Suprise Ending (TM.)? Fuck, it wasn't even that GOOD of a suprise...and let's face it, if Bruce Willis WERE dead, we'd all be better off...the only good thing about that movie was that kids' acting.

This phenomenon of sucking after the first viewing is, of course, a trait many movies suffer from, but for me it is particularly bad in Ghost Movies. I actually liked The Frighteners, but damn, what's the point of watching it again?

I don't know. I'm rambling about meaningless crap now. Time for my medicine.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Willis is capable of being a good actor if given the chance, and I'd point to The Sixth Sense as an example of that. (12 Monkeys, too.)
EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
12 monkeys is great, and one of the better willis acting jobs, imo

[edited for dumb spelling error]

--jacob

[ March 12, 2002, 22:12: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but how great was "Hudson Hawk"? Willis has had a lot of great, quirky roles ... (like "Moonlighting"). He's done a lot more then "Die Hard" (and speaking of which, you gotta love the original -- "Yippie Cayee Mother Fucker!", "[I'm an American] If New Jersey counts!"), "HaHaHa - Now I have a machine gun!")

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Veers
You first
Member # 661

*the Die Hard Expert posts*
It's "Yippee-kiy-ay." You know, like the cowboys would say?

Never thought this thread would get resurrected... [Wink]

--------------------
Meh

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps