Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Was JMS:B5 pulling from Tolkein:LOTR? Big Old $$$poilers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Was JMS:B5 pulling from Tolkein:LOTR? Big Old $$$poilers
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Completely off topic, I know, sorry, but does anyone know why the philosopher / sorcerer change was made to the title of Harry Potter 1 in the US only? After all, there is no sorcerer's stone. It has always been the philosopher's stone.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple really. Sorcery = cool, philosophy = boring. They figured ver kids wouldn't go and see a movie with the word 'philosophy' in it, never mind that all said kids had already read the book. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee, I hate to tell you this, but the book was also called Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone over here.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which actually reinforces my point. I took it from Autin's post that the book had had the proper title over there.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, and the books were edited so that a poor American child didn't accidently read the word "fortnight" and burst into flames.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scholastic also made the cover art all childish and cartoony. Which is forgiveable. Kind of. They also put pictures in the body of the text, in case some poor American child's imagination stalled and needed to be shunted into action again. Which is unforgiveable.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pictures?

Er, no they didn't.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Strange that they don't imagine that American children should have as much imagination as children in other parts of the world.
Well, perhaps...who knows...

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if you look carefully at any of the writers in the fantasy / sci-fi genre you can see similarities with Tolkiens work. He simply covered so much with his books that you can only vary on the theme. Simply put he not only covered the bulk of the gambit but set the whole trend with the genre. David Eddings, Raymond E. Fiest and a whole group of others have stories that glaring borrow from Tolkien. And so on and so forth. Doesn't mean that they don't have merit. They're more paying homage to a great writer than ripping him off.

My two cents worth, anyway [Smile]

For those of you who liked LOTR the Silmarillion is a crackingly good read. If you have the patience!

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The word "Hobbits" probably came from 'Hobbes'."

I think it's from the Old English word for "hole-dweller."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cover-art is kinda cartoony anyway, if Canada has the same versions we do. Especially the first book. Although by Goblet of Fire they've gotten all posh. And then there are the "adult editions", which have far more subtle covers.

I shall now steal a joke from Total Film and translate the other book titles for the Americans.

Harry Potter and the Big Room where you keep stuff you don't tell no-one.
Harry Potter and the bad man who is from the place bad wizards are kept.
Harry Potter and the cup of hot stuff.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry Potter V. The Curry from the seventh circle of hell

(That's curry out of a bottle...ya know).

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps