Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai.....On DVD

Author Topic: The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai.....On DVD
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are...

I recently picked up the brand new DVD for this absolutly hilarious and insane, The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai Across The Eighth Dimension. A really cheaply made film from 1984, Buckaroo Banzai is about as cult classic as you can get. The main character, Buckaroo Banzai, is the lead singer and guitar player for his bang, The Honk Kong Cavaliers, he is a genious brain surgeon, and a test driver for his own experimental design, a rocket truck. He also developed the Oscillation Overthruster, a device which allows someone to travel through solid matter.

Anyway, we get a fun mix of 80s pop culture, cheap looking aliens, and famous stars in roles they probably regret (Christopher Lloyd, Jeff Goldblum, John Lithgow).

Now to make a great movie greater, the DVD comes loaded with extras:

• An alternate opening sequence showing what happened to Buckaroo's parents. Jamie Lee Curtis makes a guest appearance as Buckaroo's mother.
  • Various Deleted Scenes
  • Commentary by the Director and Writer
  • Profiles on all the characters in the movie
  • Archives from the "Banzai Institute"
  • Photo Gallery
  • In-Depth look inside the Jet Truck
  • NUON Features (For Nuon-capable DVD players)
  • Teaser Trailer
Trust me, the extra information is just as hilarious as the movie. For example, why is that watermelon there?!
Another good reason to check out this movie is because of all the stuff in here that is in other movies and shows, including Star Trek. But some of the stuff on this DVD was actually done by people from Star Trek!

• Michael Okuda designed the cover for the rerelease of the Buckaroo Banzai novel last year
  • Adam "Mojo" Lebowitz (our very own) and Foundation Imagining produced a CGI teaser trailer for the planned Buckaroo Banzai TV Series (featured on this DVD)
  • Doug Drexler designed a 3D layout of the Banzai Institute for the DVD, in similar fashion to his designs in the DS9 Tech Manual
Does anyone else just absolutely LOVE this movie?

[ February 15, 2002, 16:35: Message edited by: The359 ]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fucking ADORE it. Wish I had a DVD player to get/see it. The soundtrack was great, too...all 80s synthpops. I quote that movie all the time. Too bad they never made "Buckaroo Banzai Versus The World Crime League"...

"WHERE are we GOING?!?"
"PLANET TEN!!"
"When?!??"
"REAL SOON!!"
"We WORK while the CLOCK, she is a-TICKing! CHARACTER is what you ARE in the DARK!"

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, in the Photo gallery on the DVD, they show a banner hanging from the Yoyodyne hanger where that speech was made that shows what Planet X was supposed to look like (its red) and says HOME REEL SUNE

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some friends and I tried to watch that movie once. No-one understood any of it at all.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Famous Buckaroo Banzai Quotes:

"No no no no, don't tug on that. You don't know what it might be attached to"
- Buckaroo Banzai during brain surgery

"Laugh while you can, monkey boy!"
- Lord John Whorfin

"Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are"
- Buckaroo Banzai

"Why is there a watermelon there?"
"I'll tell you later..."
- New Jersey and Reno walking past a watermelon inside a press

"Shut up, Big-booty, you coward! You are the weakest individual I ever know!"
"Its Bigboote! BIGBOOTE!"
- Lord John Whorfin and John Bigboote

"Declaration of War...the short form"
- President Widmark

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention...

"Home is where you where your hat."
- Lord John Whorfin

and

"Character is what you are in the dark."
- Lord John Whorfin

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

That's "Home Is Where You Wear Your Hat"

--------------------

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too much NyQuil. Ooops.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Too much NyQuil. Ooops.
I believe thats one of the original theatrical taglines.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can remember going to the theatrical premiere.

What's to understand? This was an art film - and the funnierst sci-fi I've ever seen. My friends and I joined the Hong Kong Caveliers the next week.

Riot!

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I have any brains cells left with 80's memories attached, but for some reason, I think I really liked this film. May be a good DVD to buy. I don't have a player yet, but I'm starting a collection of DVD's to watch when I do break down and buy one.

So far, I have only the first season of Buffy. I think I'll get Harry Potter when it comes out. I've never seen it, and know very little about it, but my nephew loves it, so I can't lose by buying it.

[Cool]

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget Agent Red / Captured, or Hidden Agenda, or The Last Patrol Those are some DVD picks of mine.

(Unfortunately, I do actually own all three of these. Along with 11 others. I have forgotten what women look like.)

[ March 27, 2002, 13:37: Message edited by: U//Magnus ]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps