Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Save Futurama!!

Author Topic: Save Futurama!!
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little while ago I posted news that Battlestar Galactica was going to pulled from production and invited people to sign the petition to change the network's mind. I mostly failed.

But now that Futurama is on the verge of being cancelled I ask the same. Sign the petition and convince Fox to order another season. Surely you also think this show is hilarious?!

http://www.petitiononline.com/futufu/petition.html

(Thanks to Christian Ruhl on the ASDB mailing list for this tip, I didn't know anything about it until he mentioned it.)

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Chris
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, no problem. I didn't know anything about it as well until a few hours ago when I saw a message at TrekBBS. The petition passed 50,000 votes half an hour ago, so please people sign, this may be the first online petition that has a chance to make a change due to mere participation numbers!

I also ask the Trek webmasters to put up links to the petition as most Trek fans are Futurama fans as well. I wanna see this one pass the 100,000 very soon! [Big Grin]

[ February 15, 2002, 16:16: Message edited by: Chris ]

IP: Logged
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why?

No, seriously. Why bother? Futurama isn't funny. It's clever, sure, but cleverness only goes so far. Just look at the massive and abiding chart success of They Might Be Giants and you'll see my point.

The show seems to appear to Geeks everywhere. Here at last is a show that glories in all the obscure little SF references of the kind that keep us all posting here. However, I for one tired of it very quickly. Maybe it's a generational thing, I dunno.

And, worst of all, the characters suck. Homer Simpson is popular, so lets' have two of him - boom, Fry and Bender. Marge and Lisa are basically the same, so let's combine them into one - instant Leeta. And the constant bloody guest cast heads-in-jars, ugh. Only clever thing they did was get Al Gore to seriously take the piss out of himself - "If we don't go back there and make that event happen, the entire universe will be destroyed. . . And as an enivronmentalist, I'm against that" has to rank as one of the greatest lines on TV ever.

But one line does not a great TV show make.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Futurama is far more clever than The Simpsons these days, and Lee is simply jealous that the zeitgiest has left him standing outside a train station in Paris, Texas.

It isn't technically canceled, anyway, and there will be another season. FOX has aired the show so rarely that there is at least a season of new unseen episodes left. They simply aren't going to order anymore.

Now, to prove that I can be cynical too, this whole petition thing is unworkable pie-in-the-sky-ism. No one cares about online petitions. Certainly no one who matters. I say let Futurama go, at least from FOX. It's a station whose sun has long ago set. This is where FOX is going now.

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I'm not a huge fan of Futurama, but if it will stop one spot from playing crap like "All You Can Eat" then I will sign the petition. What is next "Name That Bowel Movement"?

p.s. sent url to my brother, a big fan.

[ February 15, 2002, 18:38: Message edited by: Grokca ]

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wandering around Paris, Texas I may be, but I get to shag Nastassja Kinski, so there!

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, touche.
Lee
Member # 393

In addition to being Harry Dean Stanton, who is, like, totally cool.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Oh, now I get it...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't. Please enlighten me as to the comedic masterpiece being played out before my eyes.

Futurama does seem to produce quite varied reactions in people. Of my uni friends, half think it's brilliant, half think it's shit, and one lone person goes for "not bad". The half who think it's shit all love Family Guy, incidently.

Myself, I'm going to pick up the DVD box-set tomorrow. Or when I can afford to, at any rate.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I had used the city of Paris, Texas simply because it sounds like a random, out of the way place. At the time I was unaware, at least consciously, of the film of the same name, which happened to star Harry Dean Stanton and Nastassja Kinski.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps