Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Mars Movies (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mars Movies
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No wonder ...

--------------------
Meh

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He also did Robocop and Starship Troopers, and Hollow Man. All of them had nude women in them somewhere. Any other director can make a movie without nude women walking around.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might have been reported previously, but according to this report: http://www.testpattern.net/scoops/scoops.html the Sci-Fi Channel is developing Red Mars as a miniseries. They're also doing Battlestar Galactica and Joe Haldeman's "Forever War" (!)

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked both Robocop and Total Recall. They had a vivid spectrum of humanity and anti-corporate messge which I always really respond to. I didn't think the violence was too excessive. (puppet Quato on the other hand...)

Mission to Mars could have been a good movie if only they'd cut off that last bit there with the aliens and wrote a real ending.

Red Planet was utter shite except they part where they all think they are going to asphyxiate. The robot looked cool, but was totally preposterous. They get extra negative points by wasting both Terrence Stamp (unforgivable) and Carrie Anne Moss.

The Martian Chronicles are pretty amazing. It's been awhile, but I just remember feeling so alien watching them.

Ghosts of Mars I have not seen, but I'm definitely curious. I like NH a lot, and Ice Cube is often fun.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adding on to my previous statements:

I liked the idea of "Total Recall" (which was from a Phillip K. Dick story), but I thought it didn't need all the violence. It is supposed to be a science-fiction movie, not "Rambo Goes to Mars."

Mission to Mars was just bad, I'm sorry. Gary Sinise has to make a good movie soon that does not have Tom Hanks... And that ending...what was it about?

Ice Cube is about the only rapper that can act, and he was good in "Three Kings," but the "I ain't goin' back" line from the trailer and the idea of zombie Martians or whatever makes "Ghosts of Mars" look like a bad horror flick set on a far-out planet.

[ April 02, 2002, 19:40: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw Red Planet a while after it came to video. I didn't think it was too bad. Could've been better. The homicidal psycho robot was cool. I wish I had a robot to kill people I don't like. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't care too much for Total Recall. I suppose that's just because I'm not a big Arnold fan. Yeah, there was a lot of violence, but I seem to recall that it was marketed more as an action film than a sci-fi film. Total Recall did have some interesting parts to it (like the generally-not-good conditions of living on Mars and the tax on air -- both elements were solid to me).

I saw Red Planet not too many weeks ago. I found it to be enjoyable, but there were some plot holes. The biggest one to me is that they spent all that time on the surface of Mars, yet their sophisticated instruments never picked up the breathable atmosphere. I'll say this, though: the effects were good. I really liked that aspect of the movie. The ending I didn't like at all, though. "So what happens to the overpopulation of Earth now?" is my final thought for the movie.

Also, I'd like to add that Paul Verhoeven does the occasional bit of male nudity. There was Casper Van Diem's rear end in Starship Troopers (IMDb says that he directed the shower scene in the nude to make the actors more comfortable [Eek!] ) and there was some shots of the little Kevin Bacon in Hollow Man.

[ April 02, 2002, 20:55: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two Mars movies I've always wanted to see are "The Princess of Mars" (or other ER Burroughs Mars stories) and War of the Worlds. IIRC Disney was thinking of making Princess of Mars back in the 1940s. Imagine if they hired Frazetta today and made that thing.

A full-out steampunk version of War of the Worlds set properly in Victorian London would also be very cool. A version was announced last year to be set in modern-day Seattle, but it got put off by 9/11. I think a modern day version would just be Independence Day again, so what's the point? If I could see a burning HMS Thunder Child ramming a Martian War Machine I might die happy.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao: Your wish is Paramount's Command. I doubt the Mars Society will jizz itself over any advancement of the public's knowledge of Mars and its hardhitting explanation of a multistage interplanetary rocket and the delicate process of picking a landing site. But it could be quite fun.

Steaking of the whole steampunk thing, this, bar none, has the coolest potential of any comic-based film in development at the moment.

[ April 12, 2002, 10:30: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched Red Planet; quite good I thought, effect were good, ending was a bit unsatisfactory. Also, why was the ship not protected against radiation storms?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps