Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » General Sci-Fi » Okay help me understand something.

Author Topic: Okay help me understand something.
Samuikaze
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Right, not intending to get on your bad side (though I fear I might just do that now. )

You guys just labeled my other thread as "spam". I really don't see that as being fair. I mean hell, if I'd have come in here harping on about a new SF movie clip I'd seen with a link to it or a new bit of Star Trek info with a link. Would you have labeled that as spam? I don't think so... not from some of the other threads I've read through here.

I had thought that some of you lot here might have really been interested, taking it that you are hanging out in a SF forum.

I'm just passionate about the game and what they are doing that�s all. I was hoping to pass some of that on and gain a few new friends interested in the similar.

You know, if EVE was some poxy little shootem up SF game that didn't have any depth to it I would n't have bothered with looking out for a community like this to engage with. It is deep, dark and hardcore and has a great back ground story that I'd challenge any of you SF buffs here to pick apart.

Still, you mods didn't even give the thread a chance. You just slammed it and closed it. Why? Because I'm new here and you chose to label it as me spamming.

Defiant, you seemed to have been right friend. Seems you need to make friends around here before you can even speak else you risk getting slapped about.

I had hoped this community was a bit bigger and better than that.

What is spam? You need to get you facts right before you star accusing people of �spamming�.

quote:
Spam is flooding the Internet with many copies of the same message, in an attempt to force the message on people who would not otherwise choose to receive it. Most spam is commercial advertising, often for dubious products, get-rich-quick schemes, or quasi-legal services. Spam costs the sender very little to send -- most of the costs are paid for by the recipient or the carriers rather than by the sender.

Usenet spam is a single message sent to 20 or more Usenet newsgroups. (Through long experience, Usenet users have found that any message posted to so many newsgroups is often not relevant to most or all of them.) Usenet spam is aimed at "lurkers", people who read newsgroups but rarely or never post and give their address away. Usenet spam robs users of the utility of the newsgroups by overwhelming them with a barrage of advertising or other irrelevant posts.

Since when was my post to you aimed at you lot like that? I did none of the above. I only looked to engage in healthy chat.
In the light of it I feel in was a poor reaction on your behalf. Of course that just my opinion and my view.

Comments ?

IP: Logged
Samuikaze
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
- 50 points for placing an ad.
- 50 more points for not at least posting something else first.

+ 20 points for at least getting it in SF instead of "above the line". Officer's Lounge would have been worth 50, for a net wash on ad placing.
+ 20 points for the bow

Sum = - 60, all in all not that bad for a first post. Took Monkey, what, a year to get to that point.

--------------------
TK

Hey, thanks for the break down ToadKiller very cute. [Smile]

Can I argue about it not being an "add" by pointing to my above post ?

Also, as for not posting something else first. Well, my excuse is I was excited with being here and finding you SF lot that�s all.

Hmmm.. The Officer Lounge eh? My logic was I saw the thread in here "Sci-fi Computer Games", I thought this should be the better place to post (even with its lower hit count. Also to the others reading this if I was "spamming" why the hell would I do that eh?) and the Officer Lounge just seemed to be full rambling subjects.

Thanks again. I shall try to get a higher mark next time sir.

< bow >

My respects.

Samuikaze

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spam on Flare is essentially any new member who posts a thread devoted to their own webpage or someone else's. You're allowed to have a link to said webpage in your signature. Rules are relaxed for members who have been here for a time. Generally, it's just an all inclusive way of saying we don't want people registering, posting a thread advertising a website, then running off. We get lots of undesireables that way, but sometimes we also clip people interested in being members of our little society here. Don't take it personally.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, let me see if I can cover everything here in a logical sequence...

1) At least so far as this message board is concerned, "spamming" is an unsolicited advertisement and "flooding" is posting the same message over and over again.

2) Your thread was not closed because you are new here. Your post was simply against the rules.

3) Nobody's insulted your game, so there's no need to defend it.

4) If you really want to direct people to your game, here's what you can do and still be within the rules: Put a link in your signature. There are many examples of this throughout Flare, so go hunting around if you need ideas. It should just be a line or two, long signatures are frowned upon. Then, whenever you post here, your link will be included. However, don't go posting just so your signature will show up, that's frowned upon too. Quality of posts over quantity of posts and so on.

I think I've covered everything. I'll leave this thread open just in case CC (Charles Capps, the man in charge here) or one of the other Admins or Mods has anything to add/change.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the user agreement you clicked through when registering:

quote:
IF YOU SPAM US, WE WILL SHUT YOU DOWN! If you post a spam message to this board, you will be banned, and your ISP contacted concerning abuse of their serivices. (Spam is defined as any and all of the following: advertisements for services or websites, excessive useless fluff messages, flooding, and the like)
Your message was an advertisement for your site / game / service, and is therefore spam.

Don't do it again and we won't jump all over you again, mmm'kay?

Topic closed.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps